Hunting Season

Guest jpjazz

I see that the annual deer hunt is scheduled to open this weekend in Utah. When I first moved to the area 15 years ago, I was somewhat surprised of the importance that this day played in the lives of the average Utahan. The schools closed, major college football games were scheduled for out of town games and the local stores advertised hunter's widow sales. Since then I have adjusted to rite and in fact support with the activity, it can be a great family outing.

My question for the forum is this: are there extra measures that we Geocachers should take to avoid ending up on the trunk of a car with a tag in our ear?

Does anyone have any stories of mixing Geocaching with the Hunt?

[This message has been edited by jpjazz (edited 21 October 2001).]

n an area, it would probably be wise to avoid it. If you do go cacheing during the hunting season, it is good advice to wear the blaze orange.

If you come across a hunter, make sure he knows you are there... make a little extra noise, wave at him, tell him about the big buck you just passed a quarter mile back! Don't miss the opportunity to tell him about Geocaching. If he's a very serious hunter, he is likely carrying a GPSR. He may think you're nuts, but it will give him something to tell his buddies around the campfire, instead of all those stories about out-of-state (ahem,California icon_wink.gif ) hunters bagging cows.

As far as combining the two activities, I did just purchase a new fanny pack for the hunt, but realized I was putting more emphasis on its features for Geocaching. The area I will be hunting in is generally unremarkable, but I will keep an eye open for places to drop a cache. We need a few more caches in west-central Utah. We also need a few more folks to come and search for those already out here...hint...hint.

Be safe everybody!

Huaso

n an area, it would probably be wise to avoid it. If you do go cacheing during the hunting season, it is good advice to wear the blaze orange.

If you come across a hunter, make sure he knows you are there... make a little extra noise, wave at him, tell him about the big buck you just passed a quarter mile back! Don't miss the opportunity to tell him about Geocaching. If he's a very serious hunter, he is likely carrying a GPSR. He may think you're nuts, but it will give him something to tell his buddies around the campfire, instead of all those stories about out-of-state (ahem,California icon_wink.gif ) hunters bagging cows.

As far as combining the two activities, I did just purchase a new fanny pack for the hunt, but realized I was putting more emphasis on its features for Geocaching. The area I will be hunting in is generally unremarkable, but I will keep an eye open for places to drop a cache. We need a few more caches in west-central Utah. We also need a few more folks to come and search for those already out here...hint...hint.

Be safe everybody!

Huaso

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Huaso:

We need a few more caches in west-central Utah. We also need a few more folks to come and search for those already out here...hint...hint.

Would you mind moving Utah a few hundred miles closer to Louisiana? I'd love to cache there, but those annoying speed limits (and aerodynamic drag) keep getting in the way of a quick weekend trip. icon_wink.gif

Getting back on topic, though, I have a cache or two ready to go out about 25 miles or so east of me, but they'll have to wait until hunting season is over. icon_frown.gif There are no caches in that particular area of Louisiana, and I know a guy with enough land to hide a cache, but neither he nor I want people walking through the area while other people are shooting at things walking through the area. (At least we don't have snow down here; as soon as hunting is finished, it'll be caching time.)

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Huaso:

We need a few more caches in west-central Utah. We also need a few more folks to come and search for those already out here...hint...hint.

Would you mind moving Utah a few hundred miles closer to Louisiana? I'd love to cache there, but those annoying speed limits (and aerodynamic drag) keep getting in the way of a quick weekend trip. icon_wink.gif

Getting back on topic, though, I have a cache or two ready to go out about 25 miles or so east of me, but they'll have to wait until hunting season is over. icon_frown.gif There are no caches in that particular area of Louisiana, and I know a guy with enough land to hide a cache, but neither he nor I want people walking through the area while other people are shooting at things walking through the area. (At least we don't have snow down here; as soon as hunting is finished, it'll be caching time.)

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Getting back on topic, though, I have a cache or two ready to go out about 25 miles or so east of me, but they'll have to wait until hunting season is over.

Ditto that for Western OK. I've placed a few in innocuous places, but I'm waiting for the end of the season before I place mine. There is little public land in Oklahoma for placing caches. Any private land that isn't good for farming is probably going to have deer on it. That means pretty much all the cacheable land around here will have people with guns or bows on it from early October until the first week of December.

Considering that a large number of us came to this sport since January 2001, we haven't had to contend with hunting season yet. Deer hunting easily outstrips dove, quail, and all the others in the passion that hunters have for it.

My advice, as someone who hikes, bikes, caches, and hunts, is to limit your caching to urban or park caches until the season is over. The hunters I know are courteous and extremely cautious about where they point their guns, but there are always yahoos out there who just want to kill something. Be safe. If you do go into an area that may have hunters on it, do it during the day and WEAR AN ORANGE VEST.

Happy hunting/caching out there.

-E

------------------

--

35°32.981 98°34.631

I've been hunting over 20 years and take the time to prepare for a hunt. I do my homework and scout the land. And I always carry a map and compass, but I also always carry my GPSr. I don't care how good you are, when you are up in the Superior national forest for a week long hike in, the convenience of a GPS are immesurable. Marking my tree stand when hanging a portable for instance. That way, at 3 a.m. when I'm trudging to the stand, I can sail through with no flashlight. Can't beat that.

I'd go shopping at those sales if I were not a hunter. If you must cache, as said, wear orange. Lots!

boo2.jpg

As a rule I avoid any caches in an area where there is an active hunting season. Keep in mind that a bullet can travel a great distance and if someone misses you could be hit. Also there is always so idiot who shoots at anything that moves. If you must go into an area during hunting season make sure to wear a blaze orange hat and vest, I like the idea of the bell, its similar toa bear bell.

Along the same lines, mushroom hunting season will be beginning here in Illinois any day now (morel mushrooms . . no really, they're legal! Tasty too!). I've been wondering what the impact of hundreds of mushroom hunters walking through the woods, turning over every leaf they find will have on the geocaches we've got out there.

My bet is a few will be found by accident. Might be a good idea to make sure you check any that you've got hidden in popular areas.

Anyone have any idea if this has been a problem in the last couple of years?

Bret

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

Along the same lines, mushroom hunting season will be beginning here in Illinois any day now (morel mushrooms . . no really, they're legal! Tasty too!). I've been wondering what the impact of hundreds of mushroom hunters walking through the woods, turning over every leaf they find will have on the geocaches we've got out there.

My bet is a few will be found by accident. Might be a good idea to make sure you check any that you've got hidden in popular areas.

Bret

We're in that time of year here, too. Thanks for the reminder, I've got a couple of caches I need to check on. I want to make sure that a mushroom hunter won't stumble across them. Those guys are very through, you know! icon_smile.gif

Bluespreacher

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

Bret

We're in that time of year here, too. Thanks for the reminder, I've got a couple of caches I need to check on. I want to make sure that a mushroom hunter won't stumble across them. Those guys are very through, you know! icon_smile.gif

Bluespreacher

I vote with the majority...blaze orange and use common sense. If you are downfield of an area where hunters may be aiming...LEAVE! If you are in the vicinity of lots of deer...LEAVE! If you hear gunshots and its loud enough to make you jerk, you are too close to the shooter...LEAVE!

Other than that, anytime I have been in the field with a rifle in my hands, I can usually tell the difference between a trophy and a human...so i dont get overly concerned.

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

I vote with the majority...blaze orange and use common sense. If you are downfield of an area where hunters may be aiming...LEAVE! If you are in the vicinity of lots of deer...LEAVE! If you hear gunshots and its loud enough to make you jerk, you are too close to the shooter...LEAVE!

Other than that, anytime I have been in the field with a rifle in my hands, I can usually tell the difference between a trophy and a human...so i dont get overly concerned.

Waddya mean, USUALLY?!! Of course you're not concerned, you're BEHIND the gun! icon_wink.gif

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

Waddya mean, USUALLY?!! Of course you're not concerned, you're BEHIND the gun! icon_wink.gif

25021_1200.gif

Meaning that I would hope other hunters are capable of the same. There are far fewer "hunting" accidents than there are shootings "reported" as hunting accidents...if you catch my drift. I think most hunters know what they are aiming at. icon_cool.gif

Meaning that I would hope other hunters are capable of the same. There are far fewer "hunting" accidents than there are shootings "reported" as hunting accidents...if you catch my drift. I think most hunters know what they are aiming at. icon_cool.gif

quote:
"I am an avid hunter, and do not carry GPS while hunting. Any hunter worth his salt will know the area in which he's hunting VERY WELL. I can navigate around my hunt area without any aids whatsoever."

I come from a huge family of avid hunters. We hunt the same area year after year for the past 40 years. One time 5 of us were so lost that basecamp almost had the search and rescue out for us. Another 10 minutes later getting in and they'd have made the call. It could snow and you could become very disoriented. Anything could happen. Don't get such a big ego that you get yourself into trouble. Better safe than sorry.

Just my 2 cents. icon_wink.gif

quote:
"I am an avid hunter, and do not carry GPS while hunting. Any hunter worth his salt will know the area in which he's hunting VERY WELL. I can navigate around my hunt area without any aids whatsoever."

I come from a huge family of avid hunters. We hunt the same area year after year for the past 40 years. One time 5 of us were so lost that basecamp almost had the search and rescue out for us. Another 10 minutes later getting in and they'd have made the call. It could snow and you could become very disoriented. Anything could happen. Don't get such a big ego that you get yourself into trouble. Better safe than sorry.

Just my 2 cents. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BobSatchel:

"I am an avid hunter, and do not carry GPS while hunting. Any hunter worth his salt will know the area in which he's hunting VERY WELL. I can navigate around my hunt area without any aids whatsoever.

I'm with Seattle Seekers!

I've been hunting the same property for over 20 years. It's not hard to get turned around on a dark cloudless night while tracking an animal. It is very nice to be able to mark a waypoint where you took a shot, or where you left your 4-wheeler and be able to navigate back to that spot.

Pat in Louisiana

18371_200.jpg

I never get lost. I simply investigate alternate destinations.