Most Prolific Placer

In Orange County, CA, OtisPug is the undisputed king with 44 active caches right now. The vast majority are high quality caches, and lately he/she has been getting very creative with the hiding spots. To have your cache referred to as in the vein of OtisPug is a very high compliment 'round these parts.

"I thought you said this was a quick find!" - My wife

Well, Not sure if he has the most, but he has a a few, and I have found them all. I am of course talking about you King Pellinore. I can say that two of his caches challenged me more than any others to date. A good variety of themes and locations. Give yourself a pat on the back, I have taught you well. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

Who has placed the most caches, overall or in your area? Are they 'quality' caches, or are they flimsy?

King Pellinore

tneigel, most likely. More than 50 caches placed since December. It depends though on how 'my area' is defined. Most of them are pretty fine walks.

I've also enjoyed a good number of Artful Dodger, BrianSnat, lucien and cache ninja caches.

Ummm.. I don't like this question. I checked all the caches in 100 mile radius of my dorm room, all 40 of them. The most prolific cache placer is a guy named LPS... He's placed four caches. I've searched for two. Both were in fantastic locations, but one apparently led you into a "No Trespassing" area and the other was in terrible shape. His email correspondence with me has been very sporadic. (I fixed up one of his caches, and also asked if he planned to maintain his other caches)

Anyway, I'm not here to badmouth him... I'm just getting frustrated.

The next prolific cachers are the Three Monkey's and Quercus with three each. Three Monkey's caches are generally not very hard, but they've been in good condition, and they've responded to the couple of emails I've sent. Quercus' caches are far more difficult, although two of them are within probably 100 yards of one another on the same trail.

I'm tied with least prolific hider, at zero. (I'm getting ready, honest!)

Jamie

A guy by the name of Zephyrus is the undisputed king of hiding caches in northeast Florida. I'm not sure how many he's hidden, but there are quite a few, and most of them are in the 3-4 difficulty range. He's also started many travel bugs, and has been updating his older caches with new items. What I find most interesting is that he's never found a cache, but he hides some of the best caches in the area.

'myotis' is one of the most prolific placers in the St. Louis vicinity, with 75. Many are on the Illinois-side of the river. Some of the caches are virtual. Most are small tupperware containers with only a logbook and pencil (sometimes the logbook is just ripped up paper from work!). Some are in easy to get to spots. He is a self-proclaimed tree-hugger, so many are in remote forest areas or bring you to scenic vistas that you have to really work for, to find.

quote:
Originally posted by GatoRx:

What I find most interesting is that [Zephyrus] has never found a cache, but he hides some of the best caches in the area.

I wonder if he really hasn't found any, or if he just doesn't log them online. For some, the personal satisfaction of finding the caches is all they need/want. (Personally, I think it's a curtesy due the cache owner to log my finds, just so they know their caches are being found and are appreciated.)

quote:

Who has placed the most caches, overall or in your area? Are they 'quality' caches, or are they flimsy?

In southern Alberta, outforthehunt has placed more than 30 quality caches. His caches certainly play a part in the explosion of the sport in this area!

Thanks outforthehunt! icon_cool.gif

But I think we have some of the most creative, and proficient cache placers and hunters here in the Portland area. This is a hard one to answer because so many names come to mind.

joedohn has hidden twenty, of which I've found four or five - every one has been exceptional in location, hiding spot, etc.

Team Exocet have hidden eight including one on an island in the middle of the Columbia River, and another buried currently under 16 feet of snow on Mt. Hood.

Cache King Explosis has 15 hides and 280+ finds, and every cache I've done has been well thought out, stocked well, and he keeps up the coorespondence.

Fractal remains king for the most creative and difficult caches, with The Contact Cache being his crowning achievment.

Others come to mind too - not quite as prolific as the guys above, but good solid caches that are well hidden, well thought out, etc. Guys like Makaio, Maps-R-Us, and Matt&Laura. I just think we here are "blessed".

Team JackQuest is the most prolific (so far) in the Reading area. The first cache I ever found was one of their's and it was quite a nice walk and in good condition.

I'd like to see more caches placed, in general, in my area. I just placed my own first one today! Wahoo! It is not yet approved, but when it is, you can look it up: Twin Tin Tin

-----

dartfrogsmall.jpg Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

quote:

What I find most interesting is that he's never found a cache, but he hides some of the best caches in the area.

I have two accounts, my personal one, and another that I share with a couple of guys...that one is used for compilation projects that we all colaborate on. We hide caches together, buy I only log finds on my personal account. The result is an account only used for posting new caches...so while it looks like they have no finds, we actually have hundreds.

Dont let statistics deceive you

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

... The result is an account only used for posting new caches...so while it looks like they have no finds, we actually have hundreds.

But does that combined total exceed Stayfloopy's individual total? icon_wink.gif Last time I met Floopy, I meant to ask him whether he had donated the pair of sneakers he had worn for his first few hundred finds to the Smithsonian or sold them at auction on e-bay to a teenager from ... icon_wink.gif

quote:
In my area, the lead cache placer is King Boreas (it's a Minnesota thing ) with over 30 very nice caches placed. He maintains and responds to his caches frequently. What more can a cacher ask for?

I agree that kingboreas is the lead cache placer in this area, and he does have nice caches. They are well placed and in interesting areas that I would not have discovered otherwise. A close second would have to be orbit--his caches aren't quite the quality of kingboreas's, but he does respond immediately to any broken containers, missing caches, etc. and they are also well placed in areas that are interesting that I would not have discovered otherwise. 15T

www.1800goguard.com

On the Central Coast of California, Just a Short Walk and his wife Along For the Ride have placed 105 caches to date! I've personally been to over 20 of his caches - and they're excellent. While most caches are in California, he has also placed caches in Washington, Oregon and Arizona. Hats off to JASW for creating more than he's logged!

[This message was edited by Terra?Indaga on March 26, 2002 at 04:29 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by mwmm15T:

A close second would have to be orbit--his caches aren't quite the quality of kingboreas's, but he does respond immediately to any broken containers, missing caches, etc.

[P]This then I guess is my biggest concern. How can you do proper maintainence when you've placed, say over 20 caches? I've only got 8 actuals out there and I'm already finding it difficult to keep checking on them, even if I only wait for reports of inadequacies. I've got plans for a few more but.. Got to leave time to find some once in a while, too.

King Pellinore

quote:

I've only got 8 actuals out there and I'm already finding it difficult to keep checking on them, even if I only wait for reports of inadequacies. I've got plans for a few more but.. Got to leave time to find some once in a while, too.

Try rotating in/out any less successful caches. If you really liked the area, let a few months elapse and then work it back into the rotation. (This should be easy with the new "temporary disable" feature.) By then, a new crop of geocachers will have popped up, and maybe they will discover it. I've done this; it worked well.

Yes I spend about 10 - 15 dollars on each cache unless it is a coin swap.

I try to find enteresting places to place the cache, Some hard, some easy!

I have a very bad back and have to get out to exersise.. most of my caches are a result of the exersise that my doctor says I need.

I think I am the first and only person to place over 100 geocaches in the world..

I look around for areas with few caches and try to bring geocaching to that area.

At the present time I have 37 caches made up sitting in ammo cans on my porch! You will get to find them soon..

I have also given some couple fellow cachers permission to stop by and grab a cache to plant when they are broke.. This allows me to go find new caches also.

Terra•Indaga your comments are well taken and I thank you for the kind words! Comments like this is what keeps me planting caches!

Thanks for all the great comments I hear when you do find my geocaches..

Just a Short Walk

Monterey, CA

"Plant a geocache and they will seek it!"

quote:
Originally posted by Terra•Indaga:

On the Central Coast of California, _Just a Short Walk_ and his wife _Along For the Ride_ have placed 105 caches to date. I've personally been to over 20 of his caches - and their excellent. While most caches are in California, he has also placed caches in Washington, Oregon and Arizona. Hats off to JASW for creating more than he's logged!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....

[This message was edited by Just a Short Walk on March 27, 2002 at 07:51 AM.]

You are correct! Once you have a bunch of caches placed you tend to spend the time maintaining your caches and not go out as often finding caches.. You also tend to group your caches geographicly so that you can plan a route to maintain caches..

I am pretty avid about checking up on the caches that I have planted and also those caches others have planted near by.

I also have a couple of buddies that help me check on caches when they are in the area of my caches..

And I also check on their caches while I am out.

Geocaching can be a Team Sport, and sometimes it's safer and lot more fun too..

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by mwmm15T:

A close second would have to be orbit--his caches aren't quite the quality of kingboreas's, but he does respond immediately to any broken containers, missing caches, etc.

[P]This then I guess is my biggest concern. How can you do proper maintainence when you've placed, say over 20 caches? I've only got 8 actuals out there and I'm already finding it difficult to keep checking on them, even if I only wait for reports of inadequacies. I've got plans for a few more but.. Got to leave time to find some once in a while, too.

King Pellinore

icon_smile.gif

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....

I don't know if it's a Minnesota thing, but cache maintenance doesn't really seem to be a problem. If somebody posts a log stating something is wrong with the cache, the owner either fixes the problem or posts a message that he/she isn't able to fix the problem (i.e. there is a cache in this area where the container started to crack, but the cache owner was deployed overseas with the Naval Reserve, and he stated as much, so the next cache hunter brought duct tape with and made the necessary repairs), and most people are more than happy to bring a spare cache container, baggies, duct tape, bailing wire, etc. to the cache with them when they seek it out to make any repairs. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

I have two accounts, my personal one, and another that I share with a couple of guys...that one is used for compilation projects that we all colaborate on. We hide caches together, buy I only log finds on my personal account. The result is an account only used for posting new caches...so while it looks like they have no finds, we actually have hundreds.

Actually, I've talked to the guy several times, and he told me, flat out, that he hasn't found any caches.

quote:

A guy by the name of Zephyrus is the undisputed king of hiding caches in northeast Florida. I'm

Greetings and thanks for the intro... Yes I could seek out but I really enjoy taking the time and placing caches for Geo-Hunters in this great state. It's fascinating to find who gets involved and how soon the target are nailed. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have 14 caches active and another half dozen in my head (just got a shipment of 20 ammo boxes). I make sure they are either close to my home, office, or someplace that I frequent (favorite hiking trails, etc...). If there is a problem with a cache, I'd hope a cacher would mention it in their log. If they do, I respond immediately. Even without any mention of problems, I try to get to each cache every few months to check the condition and "re-seed" it if necessary. It isn't all that hard and doesn't take a lot of time if you place your caches wisely.