Interesting logging methods

azog

When you hide a cache, you provide a method for people to log their finds, which is usually a small notebook (the logbook).

I am looking to find out some of the more interesting ways people have devised for logging, ideas that go beyond the ubiquitous logbook.

According to the basic rules, a cache generally has a logbook to sign. I am not looking to start a war over what components are actually required for a cache. A recent discussion had a cacher claiming that TNLN logs actually do not satisfy the requirements of finding a cache.

However, some of the more interesting twists have different ways of caching. Virtuals and locationless are examples. I am not discussing, nor even willing to discuss, personal opinions on the validity of virts/locationless. I bring it up because these do not have a physical log.

A friend of mine hid a tiny cache which has special (unique) contents. You took one and then mailed a description.

What other interesting non-standard logging methods have you encountered?

On the same topic. Would people tend to avoid (traditional) caches that do not contain a logbook to sign?

I have an ulterior method for asking. I have an idea in mind, but want to see what the general opinion is before embarking. I'm being elusive, because I don't want to give my idea away icon_smile.gif (even if it is a bad one)

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

I am looking to find out some of the more interesting ways people have devised for logging, ideas that go beyond the ubiquitous logbook.

I'm thinking my next cache may require people to sign the log with blood... it won't have to be their blood - a friend's blood will do. Just real blood.

Naw, seriously I haven't really thought about any "different" types of logging methods, nor have I come across any caches that required something strange yet. So I don't really have anything useful to add to this thread. icon_smile.gif

(And that is different from my other posts how?)

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Well, I have personally visited the cache where BrianSnat signed the logbook with his cigar!

Instead of signing the logbook, I've noticed that a few visitors are leaving calling cards that list their name, date of visit and name of cache. Some of these folks also sign the logbook, some don't. I think they should, just in case their card gets lost or is taken by a later visitor.

And we've all seen codeword caches, where one must report a codeword found in the cache, or microcaches where one simply has to identify what the object was (and perhaps how/where they found it.)

I saw a cache that used a pad of those "While you were out" phone messages. It was different but not very durable.

I've thought about one of those 2-part phone message books. Then you could take a copy of your log with you and leave one behind.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

Post-it notepad... for one of my smaller caches - actually, two of em - I've used those strips of Post It pads.

They are the thinner ones, kinda about the size and shape of your index finger. I took the regular back off of the pad, and then glommed a bunch of Goop on the end of it to keep it from coming apart. Not really anything special - but a good idea for people who need a teeny log book for a smaller cache. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

i havent seen anything other than a log book used, but there was a thread a couple days(Maybe a week?) ago about stickers.

the person who started the thread, was wondering if ppl usally put stickers on the cache containers. seems cachers in his/her area had been taking stickers with them and attaching them on the cache(sometimes on the inside, sometimes on the outside). i dont remember the specifics, but maybe you could do something like that, omit a log but ask finders to attach a sticker to the cache, or a have something in the cache to attach the stickers to.

whack.gif

One of my caches has a micro-cassette recorder in it for people to leave audio logs. My idea was that I'd save them as sound files and post them to my website. The downside has been the condition of the batteries and some concern about what the heat could do to it.

I have listened to the logs when I've done maintenance checks and they're pretty interesting. However, I'm probably going to be switching the container to a smaller one and will be taking the recorder out.

It was an interesting experiment, though. If you've got an old recorder laying around give it a shot.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Well, I have personally visited the cache where BrianSnat signed the logbook with his cigar!

Yep, that happened. I arrived at a recently placed cache, only to find that there was no pencil. I was smoking a nice stogie on the way in, so the only alternative was to use the lit end to log the cache.

An idea from Letterboxing (www.letterboxing.org). Because the Letterboxing website doesn't provide an online facility for logging "caches", some Letterbox owners leave a stack of stamped, self addressed post cards in the cache. The finder makes their log entry on the card and puts it in the mail. Of course, whenever the rates go up, the owner has to make a maintenance visit.

I know this may be besides the point but I just got me purchase from GeoCaching.com today and in it were two Rite in the Rain Logbooks that I ordered. I only saw one of these out in the field but think they are great and make it my plan to use them for all of my caches. I plan on placing my first cache in the next couple of days but as far as interesting logging methods I think that these logbooks are the best.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Proud New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I am quite an audio archivist myself, (field recordings and such), and I think that is a great idea... although a digital recorder would withstand heat better than the traditional analogue tape, and it would be more difficult to accidentally erase logs, I'm sure not many people have those just lying around. Regardless you would still have the situation with the batteries...

still a great idea, may do that with the first cache i place.

- - - rain theory - - -

But the post cards mentioned above reminded me of something. I recently released a travel bug in a cache on vacation with the goal of it coming home. I seriously considered having a bunch of stamped, self-addressed post cards with it to be mailed to me by the finders along the way. I didn't because I wasn't sure how I felt about giving out my home address. Having self-addressed post cards in caches might be interesting for those a bit less paranoid than I.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
A little off-topic...

But the post cards mentioned above reminded me of something. I recently released a travel bug in a cache on vacation with the goal of it coming home. I seriously considered having a bunch of stamped, self-addressed post cards with it to be mailed to me by the finders along the way. I didn't because I wasn't sure how I felt about giving out my home address. Having self-addressed post cards in caches might be interesting for those a bit less paranoid than I.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

thats what PO boxes are for! icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

- - - rain theory - - -

The Hylebos Hideaway cache is in a day-use only state park with a loop nature trail. At the entrance to the trail is a bulletin board with a visitor's log. I found it quite amusing to look at the log before I began the hunt, and see names like ''CameraThyme'' and ''Bebubo'' on there, with ''Geocaching!'' in the comments block.

I gotta wonder what the rangers thought when they retrieved their logbook that first week.

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

Be neat to have a wooden wall or other structure (On some old building owned by the placer of course) where finders could carve their user names into...

There's a virtual cache in London at Abbey Road Studios. The wall at the front of the studio - which is white - is absolutely covered in graffitti - things like "John Lennon is king" etc etc, so I "logged" my visit on the wall.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Tommy:

For one virtual, I had finders log their visit by autographing a baseball. It went with the theme of the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8649 and was one of a half dozen baseballs at the site. The log, err baseball, has been reported missing however so it's back to using the usual verification question

Hey, I signed that baseball! (And I had forgotten about it. As I remember it, a few visitors failed the IQ test of getting the box open. Probably one of them stole it. icon_wink.gif )