What kind of beans were they?

Guest web-ling

Guest web-ling

I realize this is an odd question, but I've been wondering...

According to what I've read, the world's first geocache was a 5-gallon bucket that contained either some CD's and/or a slingshot, and a can of beans. Does anyone know what kind of beans they were? Green beans? Pinto beans? Jelly beans? Pork and beans? confused.gif

Inquiring minds just gotta know...

------------------

Web-ling

www.web-ling.com

Guest madphatboy2

quote:
Originally posted by web-ling:

Nope, just yours web-ling! icon_wink.gif

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest madphatboy2

quote:
Originally posted by web-ling:

Nope, just yours web-ling! icon_wink.gif

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest DenaliNW

Check out the cache in Oregon, named Unoriginal. This was placed by makaio, in memory of the original cache. There is a reference to makaio finding the original container, and the can o' beans.

Guest Mike_Teague

George70. yeah, I'm still around icon_smile.gif

Here's what I remember about the "first cache":

a can of Western Family brand beans -- I think kidney beans or "chili beans".. . I do remember the brand name, not the particular type of bean icon_smile.gif. Western Family is a local (generic) brand up here in the NW. -- I just spoke to my brother, he thinks they were black-eyed peas, but he is not sure either.

a slingshot (just the frame, no rubber tubing)

some version of TopoUSA for PC..

Ross Perot's book (i forget the title, it's his well-known book though) in paperback form.

I think there was also a burned cdrom of various SW Washington DRG's...

$2 cash

The only thing missing was the tape recorder which Mr Ulmer had taken out to fix so people could record messages on it.. I never saw that..

If I remember correctly, my brother took the $2 and we left a bunch of cigarettes. (we didn't have any guidelines then icon_smile.gif

Guest Mike_Teague

George70. yeah, I'm still around icon_smile.gif

Here's what I remember about the "first cache":

a can of Western Family brand beans -- I think kidney beans or "chili beans".. . I do remember the brand name, not the particular type of bean icon_smile.gif. Western Family is a local (generic) brand up here in the NW. -- I just spoke to my brother, he thinks they were black-eyed peas, but he is not sure either.

a slingshot (just the frame, no rubber tubing)

some version of TopoUSA for PC..

Ross Perot's book (i forget the title, it's his well-known book though) in paperback form.

I think there was also a burned cdrom of various SW Washington DRG's...

$2 cash

The only thing missing was the tape recorder which Mr Ulmer had taken out to fix so people could record messages on it.. I never saw that..

If I remember correctly, my brother took the $2 and we left a bunch of cigarettes. (we didn't have any guidelines then icon_smile.gif

Web-ling sent me email asking bout the beans. Here's my reply...

On my old website I had a pic posted of the can. They were black-eyed peas.

I checked my disk for the pic, but can't find it. The old webserver system died

and if the only pic was on it it's history. I'll look around some more, and if I find

it I'll post it to the thread (as I will with this info).

I found the link that gives the first discussion of geocaching...but is the first geo placer still active in the sport........What is the link to his profile on here? Also the first finder Mike Teague..I could not get the link to work to his profile. Can someone please elaborate on this...

I want to think that Makaio was the first placer but he was one of the first but not THE first.

waynepdx