Which two-way radios (FRS/GRMS) to buy?

What two-way radios have you bought/used? and why? I've been looking at:

-Motorola T7200

-Kenwood TK-3131

-Uniden GMRS480

The Motorola and Kenwood are two of the top rated, the Uniden isn't typically compared with these radios but it's half the price with mostly the same features. If anyone has any other units they prefer then let me know.

Please give me your input so I can make a better and informed decision.

Actually Uniden is a very well known radio manufacturer. They make everything from CB radios to Ham rigs and everything in between.

I have an el-cheapo pair of BellSouth FRS radios and they work great. I think I spent about $30 for the pair.

tt120twitchy.gif

TechnoGEEK

Yes...You definitely need an FCC license in order to "legally" use GMRS radios. This includes the combo FRS/GMRS radios at Wal Mart, Target, etc. Even if you are only using the FRS channels on the combo unit, you are required to get a GMRS license. Now, does that mean that everyone does? Unfortunately not. As Geocachers well know, some people don't always follow the rules.

Click Here for more info on GMRS and License requirements.

[This message was edited by Geo Boltz on October 08, 2002 at 10:34 PM.]

I use the cobra set that can also be picked up at wal mart or CANADIAN TIRE (in canada) in the US of A I would also look at hardware stores I use these radios at my trailer park to keep track of my kids when playin (we have 4 radios they come in sets of 2) I also use my radio (frs) when I am out in my boat fishing! the 3 kilometer distance works well even with no clear site! uniden is another good model I have a friend with them. Any questions drop me a e-mail.

wicka_1@hotmail.com

Does GMRS use the same bands as FRS? I heard GMRS has a longer range... (please be kind... I'm kind of 'radio dumb') does this mean that, for instance, a GMRS radio can broadcast on the FRS channel '2' for 5 miles vs. an FRS radio's 2 miles, or is the distance limited by the channels/frequencies and whatnot? Or by law or something.

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Anyway, I think they overlap on a few channels, 2 being one of those. I think they do go 5 miles vs the FRS 2 miles, assuming no interferrance by trees, etc etc. The big difference as I understand it is that GMRS require a FCC license to use.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Hehe. Eh. What's involved with getting the license?

Everyone hold on as I steer this thread wildly OT icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

Anyway, I think they overlap on a few channels, 2 being one of those. I think they do go 5 miles vs the FRS 2 miles, assuming no interferrance by trees, etc etc. The big difference as I understand it is that GMRS require a FCC license to use.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Everyone hold on as I steer this thread wildly OT icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

...Motorola's T6220 was the one to buy (and I currently own 3 of them):

T6220

57962_1000.jpg

Along with Motorola quality and its no-nonsense functional design (the thing actually 'looks' like a two-way radio), the T6220 incorporates a veritable 'all inclusive' list of features in a compact, reasonably priced package. Of particular value to GeoCachers is the T6220's ability to monitor the NOAA band of weather frequencies and 'break in' to normal FRS reception whenever a local weather alert is broadcast. Compatibility with other brands of FRS radios is a non-issue, since - in addition to channel frequency - the T6220's 'scan' function is able to determine (and switch to) the CTCSS tone being used by another radio.

I saw a set of radios at walmart the other day. FRS radios, with a base station charger, rechargeable batteries, and they had a car charger + 2 hands free headsets for I think it was $50. Not sure of brand but think it was Cobra.

One of the advertised features is scanning. Does this mean that the radio becomes a whole-band scanner and would pick up broadcasts on any channel? So if I were in a park and someone was to use channel 7, would my radio pick up on it? Is it limited to the use of '0' for the channel code? Or does it scan all the channels/codes as well?

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

Not much.

Go to The FCC's ULS web site, register, fill out the online license app (name, address, I promise to obey the rules...), if you have a credit card, you can pay online at the same time ($80 for 5 years, last I checked...covers you and your family) and you'll have your license assigned within a couple of days.

By the way, I've sold off my original Motorola Talkabout FRS radios, I have 3 Kenwood FreeTalk FRS radios of various models, 2 Cobra GMRS radios that were really cheap at Costco (and they have an even better pair even cheaper right now!) and my Kenwood TH-F6A tri-band HT, which is now my primary radio.

ApK

GMRS License WPVW520

[This message was edited by ApK on October 09, 2002 at 09:10 AM.]

I've got a pair of Motorola TalkAbout 250s' that I picked up a couple of years ago. I used them recently at our Letchworth Cachers Gathering, & was not overly impressed with them. Are these a sub-par radio or am I just expecting a bit too much? I don't have anything to compare them to. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

I've got a pair of Motorola TalkAbout 250s' that I picked up a couple of years ago. I used them recently at our Letchworth Cachers Gathering, & was not overly impressed with them. Are these a sub-par radio or am I just expecting a bit too much? I don't have anything to compare them to. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

"Gimpy"

I don't think Motorola even produces the 250 any longer (at least they're no longer listed on their U.S. website). I've had my T6220's for several months now and have put them through their paces in several 'real world' situations ...including measured 2 mile contacts over various types of terrain; in every case, the T6220's performance was problem free. Motorola has also (recently) introduced the T6250 which, from the looks of it, adds 1 watt GMRS capability to the T6220.

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on October 09, 2002 at 10:35 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

"Gimpy"

I don't think Motorola even produces the 250 any longer (at least they're no longer listed on their U.S. website). I've had my T6220's for several months now and have put them through their paces in several 'real world' situations ...including measured 2 mile contacts over various types of terrain; in every case, the T6220's performance was problem free. Motorola has also (recently) introduced the T6250 which, from the looks of it, adds 1 watt GMRS capability to the T6220.

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on October 09, 2002 at 10:35 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by AD0OR:

yes, FRS is very sub-par radio.

Compared to what?

I'm an amateur radio operator (VE3TDQ) and, in a past life, was a radio operator in the Communications and Electronics branch of the Canadian Army. Sure, if you're comparing FRS to a licenced service - where both the power and the price of the equipment is higher -, FRS falls short in performance ...but that's like comparing apples to oranges. FRS (both the band and the equipment) was intended to provide short range radio communication that would be accessible to 'the average Joe' ...which it does well.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

FRS (both the band and the equipment) was intended to provide short range radio communication that would be accessible to 'the average Joe' ...which it does well.

I agree...FRS fits it's niche very well...far better than 46-49MHz or milliwatt-range CB walkie talkies.

VHF/UHF Ham is interesting and fun but of little practical utility for me.

GMRS is a great idea, I'm just sorry I got into it now, when it is likely to be on the verge of being swamped with unlicensed noise like higher power CB.

Maybe if that happens, I can convince all my friends to use MURS. icon_smile.gif

ApK

quote:

FRS (both the band and the equipment) was intended to provide short range radio communication that would be accessible to 'the average Joe' ...which it does well.

I agree...FRS fits it's niche very well...far better than 46-49MHz or milliwatt-range CB walkie talkies.

VHF/UHF Ham is interesting and fun but of little practical utility for me.

GMRS is a great idea, I'm just sorry I got into it now, when it is likely to be on the verge of being swamped with unlicensed noise like higher power CB.

Maybe if that happens, I can convince all my friends to use MURS. icon_smile.gif

ApK

I think the best thing about FRS is that you can get a pair for $40.

I remember many years ago when Motorola introduced the Talkabout and Talkabout Distance. I really wanted a pair for hiking and hunting. The problem was the price. I was looking at $500 for a pair. Ouch!

Needless to say I still don't have a pair, however I've had three FRS radios.

I would like a pair of GMRS radios but they are twice the price of FRS. You can get a one watt Motorola for $79 now. I would rather have a two watt. I only know of one the Motorola T7200, for about $120.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Mokita!

I guess what I'm wondering, is if I'm going to upgrade, would picking up a pair of, say the Motorola 6220s', make that much of a difference. Or would the better upgrade be to get a license & go with GMRS. Is there a big enough difference to warrant the cash outlay?

"Gimpy"

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

I would rather have a two watt. I only know of one the Motorola T7200, for about $120.

_Preparation, the first law to survival._

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39197_400.jpg

http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/95articles/Hunt-full.html

Leatherman, the Uniden GMRS480 is a 2-watt model, and you can pick up a pair of these on e-bay for $100. That includes rechargeable NI-MH battery pack, and headset. That's why I've kind of swayed to this model.

quote:

I would like a pair of GMRS radios but they are twice the price of FRS. You can get a one watt Motorola for $79 now. I would rather have a two watt. I only know of one the Motorola T7200, for about $120.

Run, do not walk, to the nearest Costco...you can get a pair of Cobra 2 watt gmrs radios with all gmrs/frs channels and weather radio and digital compass with rechargable batteries and drop-in chargers, for $90.00 for the set.

My wife won't let me buy any more radios, other wise I'd get them too. If they only had removable antennaes and repeater capability, they'd be perfect.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

From what I've heard, the GMRS radios only transmit a half a mile more than FRS in the city.

Under realistic terrain conditions the GMRS only reaches out about a mile or a mile and half more.

Other discussion aside, the practical difference between my 500mW FRS radios and my 2W GMRS radios is being able to keep in touch only halfway across my local shopping mall or all the way across it.

That's worth the price difference to me right there.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Boltz:

GMRS yes, FRS no...you can extend you distance to up to 20 or more miles using a repeater. Yes the radios cost more and you may have to pay the repeater owner but if you want distance, go GMRS with repeater capability. If you join some associations like

http://www.crestcom.org

you can use their repeaters and others for free.

A bit of overkill if you're just looking for two-way radios to use while GeoCaching.

quote:

A bit of overkill if you're just looking for two-way radios to use while GeoCaching.

Yes..that's true, but it has led me from one hobby to another and I enjoy doing both.

But, don't expect anywhere near the 2 mile range as stated on most boxes.