Most Valuable Cache

Any good stories out there on valuable items having been found in caches? Any record on the most valuable cache find? No Markwells please, just looking for new stories. I found a $10 gift card to Starbucks in a cache just yesterday. Given the proliferation of Starbucks shops, at first I thought someone had opened a franchise in the ammo can. icon_smile.gif

Veni, Vidi, Cachi ...

That sounds just like Starbucks!

The most money I've ever found in a cache was in Serenity by Salvelinus. He'd described the cache as 'wallet-sized' and sure enough, there was a $20 bill in it. (I think that was just for the first-finder, folks.)

I figure I have an obligation to spend that much on setting a cache. I figure I've ALREADY spent that much on cache-nuggets and caching supplies!

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

I placed an automobile ice detector in a cache. I received it as a gift, but had no use for it, so I used it to seed a cache of mine. I saw it in the Sharper Image catalog for $39. I've also placed a few Geocaching.com hats in caches.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

I put out a fairly expensive cache for my first one. I doubt it's the most valuable but it might get an honorable metion. (tooting own horn)

The Original contents of The Treasure Chest

Contained:

Smith & Wesson Binoculars

Brand New fishing lures(not just hooks ...lures)

Original Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (Official Boy Scout model)

A stone heart

Japenese candle

A Turkey Call

and a bunch of stuff I can't even remember!!

I remember figuring the original value of the cache to be somewhere in the $100.00 range. Now I didn't just run out and buy this stuff for the cache. It was just extra stuff that I had laying around. The only thing that wasn't new, were the binoculars, I had gotton some for Christmas to replace them.

BTW, I don't plan on making a habit of doing up my caches this way. icon_eek.gif I just wanted to make the first one special.

Most of the goodies are still there also, so grab the GPSr and go have fun!

52920_300ogo2

Some of you may know of Idaho GeoCachers. A Member "TachomaHunter" not to long ago was first to a cache, and recieved the coords to a second cache with a Makida cordless drill and drill set. Pretty valuable I'd say.

Blackfoot

Life is a gift, unwrap it and use it to the fullest!

quote:
What's an ice detector? I'm originally from MI, so it seems I should have heard of something like this.

It's basically and indoor/outdoor thermometer with an alarm that sounds when the outside temp hits 32 degrees. It mounds on the dashboard and has a remote sensor that goes on the outside of the vehicle.I believe it was made by Oregon Scientific.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

We seem to be very lucky in southern BC and on Vancouver island in particular. My Girlfriend and I have found $100 for first finder TWICE icon_cool.gif and several $20's at other caches in the area.

An anonymous group called TEAM KFWB GPS has placed over 160 caches to date. 90% of them have a money reward for the first finders and some of the more complex ones have had Etrexs and Digital Cameras and up to 1200 Dollars in Cash!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

They have given out over twenty THOUSAND dollars worth of cash and goodies in the last 7-8 months

We live in a very lucky place icon_biggrin.gif

I have found a couple that had gift certificates for dinner, and others that had nice items, such as knives, binoculars, etc - you know, useful stuff, as opposed to the typical happy meal toys and used golf balls.

A group of us did a multicache/cannonballrun style thing back in 2001 in which the idea was that we placed caches all over the state of Utah, in prime locations of varying difficulty level. Each cache held an item and a keyword, which would indicate that the cache had been visited. Points were awarded based on first, second, third, etc., and the cacher with the most points won a brand new GPS. The irony was that it was probably 1500 miles to drive out and get all these caches, which at current gas prices, would have almost bought a GPS, without all the driving.

Of course, as we all know...what fun would THAT be!?

bunkerdave

6327_1900.bmp

Last summer we found 2 tickets to a Penn State football game, which are pretty expensive...The funny part was that it was in a mini-cache and it was found the day before someone placed a single ticket for the same game in one of our caches. My niece also found a 193? silver dollar in a cache, which I was told was worth a nice bit of change too. I also know of someone that is going to be placing an old Rolex watch in a cache this summer, once they are able to place a really hard to find cache. Yes, it's actually real too!!! I'm hoping to be the one that finds it first, but I guess we'll have to check for new caches more than just once a week though. I've never placed anything of that value, but the chances are there, since we like to place instant lottery tickets into some of the caches!!! icon_biggrin.gif