What folks are willing to do to find a bleepin' cache...!

Hey all... I have posted my first cache (White Eagle). Next thing I knew, the cache location turned into a freakin' POND when it rained. So I eventually suspended the cache on request of my local parks rep. Am finding a new location.

What I cannot believe is how the local cache crowd WANTED to go darn-near-swimming in cold water to find my cache, and complained somewhat by email when I decided to move it to a dry place!!! icon_razz.gif

Ya think they would complain instead! Geocachers make me grin. icon_biggrin.gif

I guess they will just have to cope with a beautiful forest on a hill now... oh, well... icon_wink.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

quote:
Originally posted by rut:

Well, Elana it's the hunt we're after. The more difficult the better.

Yup. Seems like a lot of people think their cache is only great if everybody who tries can find/get to it. Not so!

I've had much more fun hunting caches that made me really work for them, either mentally, physically, or both. It's even more fun if geocaching drives you to do something you wouldn't have even considered doing otherwise (like swimming across an ice cold river).

icon_biggrin.gif Not that I've done that yet, but I won't rule it out.

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

Last weekend I hunted one that (because I was too bone headed to follow instructions) took me through many yards of briars, thorns, and cockleburs. There were several times I stopped and hunted a way to avoid the evil things to no avail. I must have looked like I had broken up a cat fight between 30 tom cats. I stopped several times to remove countless cockleburs only to knowingly have to wade through more in a few minutes. It was wonderfully horrid. Equally injoyable were the times I had to break out my Gerber tool to remove myself from the hords of briars clinging to my bloody clothes, while looking hopelessly across the sea of additional briars I yet had to endure. Once,I thought to abandon the find, but figured out I was WAY past the point of no return.

I would have expected the cache to be abandined. To my suprise it was one of the most visited I had found, full of VERY NICE things, was logged again that very day. I was sure to take my picture with the camera provided.

You know? This is now my favorite find!!!!!

...This cache will not get plundered!!!!!!!

...the name: "A Drive in the Park" ....... yeah, right!

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

[This message was edited by poksal on January 09, 2003 at 05:45 PM.]

A few of us are headed out for this one on Saturday. It will be the 2nd attempt for two of our group.

It's gone unfound since it was placed almost a year ago. I'm not sure how hard it is, but I'll just say the cache is within an hour's drive of some 15 million people and is in the home geocaching grounds of such stalwarts as Stayfloopy, CCCooperAgency and BassoonPilot (who have over 3,000 finds between them). And nobody has ever accused any of the three of shirking the tough ones either.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

I was lucky to make it home alive after this cahe. I got a Vista for Christmas yesterday, and wanted to try it out by grabbing a quick cache. Well thats what I thought it would be. I live on the east side of the freeway, and I for some stupid reason assumed it was on the same side of the freeway as me, I could have found out for sure with the Maps on the GPS, but I was really not thinking straight today. So I started my walk, I'm fourteen so I cant drive! It was freezing cold! After walking about a mile and a half, I reached the freeway, and realized it was on the other side, so I had to walk another 3/4's of a mile to get to an overpass. I got over on the west side of the freeway, and found a small dirt road heading toward the cache. Then I ran into a steep little gulley with train tracks in the middle. I slid down, ran over the tracks, and up the other side of the gulley, and ran face to face with a chain link fence. I managed to crawl over it with only a deep gash between my fingers from a spike at the top. I got over and headed toward the cache. Finally found it. But then I had to get back, which was worse. I walked aside the freeway for a while, then decided I was gonna have to cross the gulley again. I got down one side of it ok. But I tried climbing up the other side, but couldn't! It was too steep and I just slipped every time I tried to get out. So I was trapped between a freeway, and a stupid hill I couldn't climb. I thought I was gonna die.

This cache ate me alive! I should've learned my lesson not to just take off toward a cache without doing some minor planning. I left Kaysville on Bus 70 and got to the mall at about 7:00. Closest cache was this one, so I started walking, the cache was about three miles away. I walked on highway 193 for a few miles, it was pitch dark, no streetlights, I couldn't even see where I was stepping, but I could feel it, and it was probly about a half inch of sick, wet mud. My shoes got to be about eight pounds each with all that mud sticking to em'. I then realized that I had packed everything I would possibly need except a flashlight. I had no Idea how I was gonna be able to find the cache with absolutely no light, not even the moon. I would occasionally check my heading, and then put my freezing hands back in my pockets. Finally reached a gas station on Fairfield rd. and highway 193, stopped to warm up and call my dad on the cell phone. Five minutes later I was back out in the cold. Walked the rest of the way up 193, then turned into a resedential area, passed a fire station, and kept walking, I was getting close. A corner was coming, and I thought to myself, It's gonna be in there, there's gotta be an entrance to the park in there! The corner came, and was only a coldasac! I knelt down and ripped open my backpack, and pulled out my geocaching folder. With the glow of my palm pilot I was able to read the coordinates to the park entrances and I entered them into the GPS. They were quite a waise away! It was really getting late. I pulled out my cell phone to call my dad again, the screen flickered and died. The batteries were drained flat. I pulled out the ham radio to use the autopatch, but what do you know, with my terrible luck I was barely able to rattle off the first two letters of my callsign before the radio died too! Digging in my backpack for another battery pack, I found a pepsi, but no batteries! I sat back on the curb and downed the pepsi with one go at it. By then I had had it! I wasn't sure what to do, I would have to walk the two and a half miles back to the mall to catch the bus back home! But there was no way I could get there before I froze to death. I threw my backpack over my shoulders and headed back to the gas station. The asian couple was kind enough to let me use their phone, and I convinced my dad to come save me. I sat on the corner for 20 minutes, rocking back in forth to keep from turning into an ice cube. Total travel was 5.68 miles, on foot, with no coat! I'll get this one though, I havn't given up!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

A few of us are headed out for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14755 one on Saturday. It will be the 2nd attempt for two of our group.

It's gone unfound since it was placed almost a year ago. I'm not sure how hard it is, but I'll just say the cache is within an hour's drive of some 15 million people and is in the home geocaching grounds of such stalwarts as Stayfloopy, CCCooperAgency and BassoonPilot (who have over 3,000 finds between them). And nobody has ever accused any of the three of shirking the tough ones either.

_"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant_

And nobody invited me! icon_frown.gif Thats ok, I'm headed south for the weekend, maybe I'll grab a few more of those terrible Tneigel caches to drown my sorrow.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Hard caches are a blast...especially the physically demanding ones. I enjoy long hikes and celebrated my 300th Find by scrambling several hundred feet up a 45 degree slope that was very brushy and cliffy in some places. This was Mt. Washington out by North Bend,Washington.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2322

The cache hadn't been found in almost two years and only by the first finder. The tupperware container and contents were surprisingly in great shape! Fortunately, I was able scramble up towards the summit and hitch onto a road that snaked the long way back. Back at the Jeep right at dark.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=92802&L=561794

I wanted to hit this cache real bad because a friend previously attemped it but backed down after looking at the swampland. I thought I can do it!! I trudged through about 2 feet deep mud, 4 foot deep water, cross 3 creeks and alot of swampland to get to this one. Check out the pics. After we finnished it and got back home, we found out there was an easier way to get there. icon_rolleyes.gif But we had a blast!