Geocaching.com Decal

Guest placeman

Guest placeman

Has anyone given thought to developing a Geocaching.com decal? Nothing as obnoxious as a bumper sticker, but rather one about 5" by 5". It could display the Geocaching logo and the URL.

Of course this would all be done with the approval and blessing of Mr. Irish.

Guest jeremy

I finished the smaller logo design last week, and am waiting until the end of the month to place an order for hats and decals. I should have the funds from the shirt sales to pay to have them done.

Jeremy

Guest martinp13

Is the "smaller logo design" a smaller version of the 5-color logo, or the small non-active button on the main page?

If the latter, you probly should change the flag symbol to a small box. icon_smile.gif

Guest martinp13

Is the "smaller logo design" a smaller version of the 5-color logo, or the small non-active button on the main page?

If the latter, you probly should change the flag symbol to a small box. icon_smile.gif

Guest Dan Bollinger

The decals will be usefule for making caches. I suggest a muted color like olive drab or yellow ochre for the sake of camoflauge.

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Bollinger:

The decals will be usefule for making caches. I suggest a muted color like olive drab or yellow ochre for the sake of camoflauge.

I am apprehensive to make stickers. I'm afraid they could be stuck in poor places. My preference is to make the ones you can stick inside your car on your window.

Thoughts?

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

latter, you probly should change the flag symbol to a small box. icon_smile.gif

The flag symbol is abstract, and is familiar to folks who use GPS units. We tried some boxes (and treasure chests) but they all looked cheezy. This version shrinks down well (like on the tiny icon).

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

latter, you probly should change the flag symbol to a small box. icon_smile.gif

The flag symbol is abstract, and is familiar to folks who use GPS units. We tried some boxes (and treasure chests) but they all looked cheezy. This version shrinks down well (like on the tiny icon).

Jeremy

Guest placeman

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Bollinger:

You could do both camo and standard.

Jeremy:

I understand that the setup charge is what cost the most on these. Why not post the proofs on the website then take pre-paid orders, possibly via PayPal. This would provide you with a little chunk of change to pay the printer's setup fee.

[This message has been edited by placeman (edited 01 June 2001).]

Guest Lazyboy

Jeremy I don't think that getting your decals stuck in the wrong places would be much of a problem. Reason is that this isn't a sport like skateboarding. It isn't the sport that attracts tons of 13 year old boys. I believe 99% of the people purchasing the decals would place them properly.

Guest bunkerdave

I have had for about two weeks now a sticker on my car that I made using "Paint" and some full-page sized label stock that says: THIS VEHICLE STOPS AT ALL GEO-CACHES. I have had some responses to this, and it has given me the opportunity to talk about our sport. I tend to agree with LazyBoy, in that I do not think the stickers would tend to show up on trees, buildings, dumpsters, etc. If the only way to get them is by ordering them and paying for them, people will tend to be pretty selective as to where they put them - and, we're not a bunch of delinquents. (SFM)

Guest ddrevik

BTW, if you haven't bought a t-shirt yet, think about it. I don't know how much of a kickback Jeremy gets on them, but they're sweet. My wife and I wear ours now when we're in the field hunting caches, and will wear them to the Atlanta Geocahcers Gathering June 9.

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy:

I believe 99% of the people purchasing the decals would place them properly.

You know, now that you explain it that way, I suppose you're right. I'll see if I can get something together. Packs of 100 maybe?

I have a license plate that says

YOU ARE THE SEARCH ENGINE

GEOCACHING.COM

It's kind of sad, but seems to work well. I had to move my Red Dwarf cover to the front of the car. My 1996 Saturn SL2 Rocks!

Jeremy

geek.

Guest barefoot

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Jeremy

geek.

Dude...you're in good company. ;-)

Stickers are a killer idea. I'll pick up a pack when they're available.

Have a good weekend, y'all! I'll be looking out for fellow befuddled people staring at small boxes and walking in circles on the trails this weekend. Say 'hi' if you see me doing the same.

--barefoot

Guest Silver

quote:

My preference is to make the ones you can stick inside your car on your window.

I looked into getting some scuba "Diver Down" flags made that way about a year ago. The electrostatic plastic that they make them out of was available at both custom sign shops I visited. The setup fee was the pricey part, but it was about $100 for 100 stickers. (Of course the Diver Down flag only had one color and the graphic was a straight line in a box icon_smile.gif)

Toss me an e-mail if ya want any additional info.

Silver

Guest Silver

quote:

My preference is to make the ones you can stick inside your car on your window.

I looked into getting some scuba "Diver Down" flags made that way about a year ago. The electrostatic plastic that they make them out of was available at both custom sign shops I visited. The setup fee was the pricey part, but it was about $100 for 100 stickers. (Of course the Diver Down flag only had one color and the graphic was a straight line in a box icon_smile.gif)

Toss me an e-mail if ya want any additional info.

Silver

Guest bunkerdave

I did get the T-shirt, and have worn it every time I have been out this week. (Every day since Saturday) I got the XXXL, and it is the only T-shirt I have that I don't have to tug and stretch to get it to fit properly after I wash it. The ONLY thing, is that the big logo on the back is covered up by my CamelPak when I am on the trail. Can't have it all. Everytime I put it on to go out, I hope I see someone else who will know I am a cacher and I will get to meet them. These cachers are a wierd bunch.

Guest placeman

Personally, I would prefer an adhesive decal rather than a electrostatic one. The reason is that I do not like to put decals on my vehicle's painted serfaces or bumper. I'd rather place them on my back window. Since my windows are tinted, electrostatic decals would not show through from the inside. Plus, I'd also like to place the decals on my caches.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest 300mag

Decals are great patches would be too.I'd put one on my pack sac.But i still can't wait to get a hat/cap.I pretty well always have a hat when i'm outside.Especialy when geocaching.At least with patches you can put them on jackets caps etc.So now we need stickers patches caps sweaters.Then we will be all set to geocache icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 01 June 2001).]

Guest 300mag

Decals are great patches would be too.I'd put one on my pack sac.But i still can't wait to get a hat/cap.I pretty well always have a hat when i'm outside.Especialy when geocaching.At least with patches you can put them on jackets caps etc.So now we need stickers patches caps sweaters.Then we will be all set to geocache icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 01 June 2001).]

Guest MikeLINY

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

THIS VEHICLE STOPS AT ALL GEO-CACHES. B]

I lkie that idea! Do you mind if I use it to get a decal made for my truck? I think 3' by 5" hight would be great along the top of the back window. I know a place that could do it for under $10.

Guest bunkerdave

To: MikeLINY

Of course I don't mind. It's not as if there's a copyright or something. ;-)

If Jeremy were agreeable, I'd like to put the logo from the t-shirt on there, too. Naturally, I wouldn't be selling any (I doubt anyone would buy them) they're pretty poor quality and I had to print a few because they aren't very durable. They last a few trips thru the car wash and then start getting blurry and faded. Throw it out and slap on a new one. They're practically free. Looking forward to getting something more permanent. Your decal sounds like a winner, though. I considered something like that, but haven't had time, between working and 'caching.

Guest crwdog

Just a question, but is geocaching trademarked? Everyone seems to talk like "If so-and-so doesn't mind.." - I didn't think that geocaching was trademarked.

Guest MikeLINY

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

Looking forward to getting something more permanent. Your decal sounds like a winner, though. I considered something like that, but haven't had time, between working and 'caching.

I'm going to stop by a shop nearby today, to get some info. Tey do great work. I've hade several decals made before (Yankees logo, Nissan Motorsports Visor) If you would like more infor I'll be glad to order them and mail them out. If I get one today I'll take a

pic to send you.

Guest rebobbitt

Grounded, Inc IS trying to trademark GEOCACHING!!

I found this on the US Patent and Trademark Site by searching

trademarks for "GeoCaching":

http://www.uspto.gov

GEOCACHING Tradmark by Grounded Inc.

Status : Newly filed application, not yet assigned to an examining

attorney.

http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=e0lokd.4.1

Word Mark GEOCACHING

Goods and Services IC 039. US 100 105. G & S: Services include

providing a detailed listing a global coordinates designating the

location of treasures hidden by participants. Services also include

maintaining database of global treasure ["cache"] coordinates and log

files for distribution to partipants and developing additional

products and services to enhance the GPS based treasure hunting game.

FIRST USE: 20000801.

FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20000801

IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing including shirts, hats, vests,

jackets, shoes, and pants decorated using the word geocaching.

FIRST USE: 20000801.

FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20010126

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number 78045228

Filing Date January 26, 2001

Owner (APPLICANT) GROUNDED INC. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 2111 3RD

AVENUE WEST SEATTLE WASHINGTON 98119

Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Guest Dan Bollinger

It is appropriate and wise for an organization to protect it's name or logo. This doesn't prevent others from using the word geocaching, which has entered our lexicon. It does prevent others from calling themselves GeoCaching or GeoCaching.com or using the logo. Keep in mind that the application is for a TRADEMARK, not copyright. Just as Coca-Cola is trademarked, that doesn't mean that other companies can't make cola flavored drinks, or call their products cola. The purpose of a Trademark is to prevent others from capitalizing on your success. It also prevents confusion between two entities. Anyone who is upset with this should also be equally upset that the Red Cross has copyrighted the "red cross on a white background" logo.

Guest ClayJar

A trademark on geocaching would be like a trademark on Linux, I suppose. How many of you knew that Linux is actually a registered trademark owned by Linus Torvalds? It is. Of course, Linus has authorized all things Linux to use the Linux trademark, but if, say, Microsoft were to try to capitalize on the term Linux by calling their own closed commercial operating system Microsoft Linux, the could be legally prevented from doing so. (Now, if they actually wanted to make a Linux distribution of their own, they would be free to call it Microsoft Linux, since it then would be a Linux.)

So, if a trademark were granted on the term geocaching, it could be used to prevent the Podunk Organized Militia from calling their cut down all the trees game "geocaching", but it needn't affect anyone who uses the term to mean geocaching, just as anyone can make their own version of Linux.

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 09 June 2001).]

Guest Hard Slate

I think the stickers are a great idea!

Packs of 100 may be a bit overkill for

some of us tho.

Isn't that trademark/patent talk a little off topic for this thread?

Guest bunkerdave

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

So now we need stickers patches caps sweaters.Then we will be all set to geocache icon_biggrin.gif ]

All dressed up and only 2,620 places to go! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest bunkerdave

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

So now we need stickers patches caps sweaters.Then we will be all set to geocache icon_biggrin.gif ]

All dressed up and only 2,620 places to go! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Prime_Meridian

There is a very real world example of why you'd want to tradmark something... Yellow Pages and the "let your finger's do the walking" image is not trademarked...

In my area, there are rogue phone book companies that send out advertisements claiming that they are "THE" Yellow Pages and in order to list your name it costs some ridiculous fee of 200+ dollars... of course it's a scam since they aren't the aren't part of the Southwestern Bell telephone directory (who publishes the majority of phone books around here)... and yet they make a killing on scamming everyone who doesn't understand that they're not legit...

Guest Dan Bollinger

Jeremy, Everyone wants to be an 'official' member. We make up our own caches, a few are labeled. But, when we put the same sticker on our caches as everyone else we become a member of a team. Not unlike uniforms for sports teams. There is a huge desire for the stickers. I hope you keep looking into them. Oh, make sure your printer confirms that they are rated for outdoor use and the adhesive is acrylic (gets stronger with age). Your printer should be able to shrink-wrap them into any quantity. I suggest ten or twelve to make it easy for you to sell and ship them.

Guest gnbrotz

quote:

I finished the smaller logo design last week, and am waiting until the end of the month to place an order for hats and decals. I should have the funds from the shirt sales to pay to have them done.

Jeremy

Jeremy, anything new on this topic??

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'