Encrypting descriptions

LisaAS36

Do you think this cache should have been approved?

It's a members only cache so everyone might not be able to see it. If you can't, then the entire description is encrypted. Even the hint is encrypted so that if you decrypt it, you still have to manually decrypt it.

Someone put alot of work doing all of the coding, put I hope others don't start encrypting their descriptions. Just too time consuming for me.

Just my opinion.

Lisa

quote:
Lots of caches require solving puzzles of some kind. Personally I like them.

Actually, it's similar to this cache of mine, which has been quite well received.

I don't have anything against puzzle caches. I just think it would be nice to have a little introduction about the cache before deciding if you want to solve the puzzle. IRT SimonG's - yes it's a puzzle type but atleast there is enough info on the cache site to know what you're getting into.

Everyone is right -If you don't like it, don't do it (and as Stunod stated: I wasn't complaining) but my point is I think there should be sometype of general description that cachers can review before deciding on futher investigation.

To get the description to my next cache you will have to break through my firewall, into the 128-bit encrypted database, gain access to the double encrypted description and decrypt that with two one-time-pads that are located in separate caches 500 miles apart. The description is written in sandscrit by someone with really bad handwriting and stored as a really low res image. Ohh yeah... the cache will also be placed in the middle of a bear trap and coated with cockleburs (sp?).

The reward... a really nice McToy!

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." -George Burns

I was amazed this morning to see that my cache audit log showed many hits from out of area cachers. I did some searching and discovered this thread.

In the past I had found this cache, and I wanted to do something equally challenging but closer to home. I struggled somewhat with how much unencrypted text to use in the description (or even the hint), but in the end I decided to use as little as possible. This type of cache won't appeal to everyone, but I'm aware of some folks in my area who are diligently trying to solve it.

Lisa -

While I know nothing of this particular cache, my wife and I have solved dozens of these (we keep track of Puzzle caches in our found-cache spreadhseet.) Cryptos, logic puzzles, read-a-story, etc... Puzzle caches are wonderful. Most often (there are a few glorious exceptions), puzzle caches are not particularly interesting cache hunts in and of themselves - no fantastic waterfall to view, or vista to see, etc. They aren’t bad caches, or bad cache hides, but you don’t tackle one of these in the hopes of having nice scenery at the cache location. You tackle it for the puzzle itself.

Sure. There is no prohibition against making a puzzle cache that requires you to solve something other than just the coordinants to find the cache.

This is probably one of the simpler caches to solve. At least if it's encrypted via normal geocaching.com means.

If it's not...it's more of a challenge.

==============================

Wherever you go there you are.

I think it's a cool idea. Haven't run across one of these caches yet - but I'd certainly hunt one if I came across it!

There is a difference between happiness and wisdom: he that thinks himself the happiest man is really so; but he that thinks himself the wisest is generally the greatest fool. Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

quote:
Originally posted by Eswau:

What is a cache audit log?

On a member's only cache, the cache owner has an "Audit Log" link which allows the owner to look at who has viewed the cache page. Yesterday perhaps seven people had viewed it, and today the number is up to thirty seven with multiple visits by some people.

it seems to me that this is likely a common (although difficult) encryption. i think i know of more than one university that offers a seminar in the mathematics involved in cold-breaking it.

as for the unsuspecting, i think just seeing the description let the finder know he's working on a puzzle cache.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

icon_cool.gif

This is outside of my normal preference for a cache, but I have enjoyed the mental challenge. Although I have spent ~6 hours on the puzzle, thusfar I have been unsuccessful. It is a very tough code to break! I challenge you to give it a go...first one there wins! I'm sure I have about 25 hits on the page so far icon_wink.gif

Soon, Tin, soon...

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

_I've cracked it!_

I have nothing to contribute to the discussion. I just wanted to brag. icon_smile.gif

Congratulations. Turnabout is fair play, and I'll take a stab at yours. icon_smile.gif

And for those of you in distant areas who solve the code but are not in a position to physically find it, feel free to "Post a Note" to the cache page indicating your partial success.

[This message was edited by TinSparrow on April 10, 2003 at 11:14 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by SE7EN:

Not to be persnickety, but your clue does not match the method. That's way it took me so long to figure it out. I ended up having to use the hint. Then it was child's play.

The clues were carefully chosen, but I'm not sure which clue you might be refering to here, or how you interpreted the clue. I don't want to give away any more hints in this forum, but I'd love it if you emailed me with more detail.