Star Trek: The Original Series and Geocaching

TeamJiffy

...totally random topic... I was watching F. hold the GPS receiver today, and I was suddenly reminded of the redshirts in Star Trek: Original Series who would, beaming down with Kirk and Spock, use their tricorders to survey each planet... they would stand around and survey the landscape, holding these small gadgets at chest level, about two feet in front of them...

...I don't know why, but the similarity suddenly struck me as I saw F. hold out the GPS receiver a couple feet in front of her as she surveyed the landscape...

...is that what Star Trek is really about: To search out new caches, and new cache locations...?? Did they run out of cache locations on Earth in the 23rd century?

-J

Sounds familiar here as well. My wife and i usually cache together and we allways dress "Star Trek" style. Her in the skimpy red mini dress and me in the yellow captain's shirt. Both of us carry tricorders, mine a GPS76 and hers a Sony Clie PDA. Our communicators, better known today as frs radios, stay with us at all times. We dont feel the need to bring a phaser along on most of our hunts icon_rolleyes.gif. Our transport vehicle is specially modified with heat shields or to you laymens, tinted glass. It has warp speed capability which is accomplished with the aid of premium unleaded fuel and my heavy foot icon_wink.gif.

We've found a few caches on planet Earth but we have no desire to hunt for those elusive caches around Uranus! icon_redface.gif

Well actually, we dont wear the outfits but the rest seems to be right on the money. Have to say that i too have been reminded of TOS while watching Chicken carry the GPSr icon_biggrin.gif

The most unrealistic thing about Star Trek:

You never saw people come back from an away mission picking burrs off their pants and cleaning off wounds from briar thorns.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Star Trek unrealistic???

Let's see...

What came first, the Communicator or the Mobile Flip Phone?

What came first, those little squares they used for computer data or 3 1/2" floppies (or zip discs)?

What came first, Shuttlecraft or the Space Shuttle?

What came first, Tricorders or GPSs & various other handheld diagnostic units?

What came first, Sick Bay Beds or now-in-use diagnostic beds?

And so on, and so on.....

Not bad for a 40 year old tv show that had a 3 year run (and spawned a billion dollar industry & 40 years of spinoffs)

I'm not a Trekkie... really.....really.

(Ok, maybe a little)

icon_biggrin.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

<>

BTW, Who wears an orange shirt? Geez, adjust your TV. icon_wink.gif

<>

QUOTE]

Kirk

Actually, no.

At the risk of revealing my Trek'ness, the velour 'Command' duty-uniform shirts worn during the first two seasons of the classic 'Star Trek' television series (and the polyester ones worn in the third and final season) were a 'pea/lime-green' colour ...similar to the colour of the Captain's wool 'wrap-around' shirt that you would sometimes see. The reason that they appeared gold (not 'orange') on camera was because of the way the colour translated when the film stock was processed (as attested to by Star Trek costume designer William Theiss). When the episodes aired on television, it was 'gold' that we all saw, but if you look at some of the off-screen promo photos taken at the time, the 'Command' shirts were certainly green in colour.

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on February 18, 2003 at 03:37 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

...many of us who collect such things have opted to go with 'what we saw' as opposed to 'what they actually wore'. I had professional reproductions of the velour 'Command' shirt done in both green and gold, but I ended up selling the green one and keeping the gold for display in my personal collection:

You are a serious Trekhead. I bow to your superior geekdom.

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

Star Trek unrealistic???

Let's see...

What came first, the Communicator or the Mobile Flip Phone?

What came first, those little squares they used for computer data or 3 1/2" floppies (or zip discs)?

What came first, Shuttlecraft or the Space Shuttle?

What came first, Tricorders or GPSs & various other handheld diagnostic units?

What came first, Sick Bay Beds or now-in-use diagnostic beds?

And so on, and so on.....

Not bad for a 40 year old tv show that had a 3 year run (and spawned a billion dollar industry & 40 years of spinoffs)

I'm not a Trekkie... really.....really.

(Ok, maybe a little)

icon_biggrin.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!

Robert Heinlein invented the bed I sleep on every night... A heated water bed.

Your results may vary. Capn Skully

I've had my own brush with Star Trek fame. I once worked for a company that did (and probably still does) the insignia and jewelry for the t.v shows and the movies. So I had the privelidge of working on some rather interesting stuff. and seeing some of the concepts being developed. Like the Ferengi (sp.???) headress, I got to watch Bill Theiss and my bosses figure out how best to fabricate it. We also did stuff for Micheal Jackson icon_redface.gif, General Hosp. LACMA.....

That was probably the best (but not the most lucerative) job I ever had.

Okay enough about my 15 seconds of fame icon_wink.gif

...Running over the same old ground, what have we found?...

As a Trekker myself I have to agree with getting the "what you saw" version of the shirt.

And that is a nice version you have there. I've been to many conventions (never dressed up).

I have in person autographs from all the main stars in TOS except Bones. Lots of Next Gen, Voyager, and DS9 as well.

Rene Auberjonois and Armin Shimmerman are a blast!

The great question...which I have not been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?" --Freud