Dogs and caching

Our "tupperware sniffin" Zoe Dog starts freakin when I get my 'cachin daypack out of the closet79702_1600.jpg Here is Zoe in action...when we walk 2 or 3 Kms zoe does at least 5kms...She has actually found 2 caches

Every body DANCE rock_band.gifbanana.gifchicken.gifmonkeydance.gifbandsmlz.gif

[This message was edited by coast2coast2coast on March 29, 2003 at 12:09 AM.]

[This message was edited by coast2coast2coast on March 29, 2003 at 12:11 AM.]

[This message was edited by coast2coast2coast on March 29, 2003 at 12:13 AM.]

Cahill loves to cachediablocahill-web.jpg

stealyourcachelogo.web.small

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there. Believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.

It's just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair; Such a long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.

[This message was edited by Louis the Brave on March 28, 2003 at 11:32 PM.]

A problem is many cache sites are "No Dogs Allowed". I see a lot of people breaking that rule but I heed it. If I'm planning a day, I can often tell if I'll have some no dog's areas. But I've also taken Kanook with me many miles from home just to come across a No Dog's policy and that prevents me from doing it. I'd like to see it mentioned on the cache page if dogs are allowed or not. I know many of us do bring our fuzzy freinds with us.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

You mentioned a topic I had not even thought about. I guess that in some areas dogs would be a problem. Now I really feel fortunate to live in an area that it isnt even an issue. In fact, if you don't have your four legged buddy with you, people think there must be something wrong with you.

I would love to take my girlfriend's dog with us when we go if he werent deathly afraid of riding in a car.

a 95 pound lab crying like a little baby, and panting like he is going to die after a 2 minute ride isnt much fun. icon_confused.gif

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

Our dog (Shelly) loves to cache. I don't think there is anything that she loves more than to get out on a trail. When we get to secluded areas and I can take her off of her leash, she is in heaven. You can almost hear her laugh.

The thing that is great about a small dog is that when you get to a bunch of poison ivy or thick briar patched you can fit them in your backpack.10878_300.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

A problem is many cache sites are "No Dogs Allowed". I see a lot of people breaking that rule but I heed it. If I'm planning a day, I can often tell if I'll have some no dog's areas. But I've also taken Kanook with me many miles from home just to come across a No Dog's policy and that prevents me from doing it. I'd like to see it mentioned on the cache page if dogs are allowed or not. I know many of us do bring our fuzzy freinds with us.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Happily, in northern Michigan, most of the caches are in a rural setting, so the fuzzy wumpers can come along. But I do agree that if a cache is in a posted "No Dogs" area, then we should respect that.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Just look at my avatar and take a guess. And if the trail is long, I can always ride him out.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Hell yes! My dog is a tirelessly enthusiastic geocaching partner. Rain, snow, early in the morning, late at night - he's game. About the only downside is the few locations that haven't been dog friendly. Fortunately those are the exception. He even "found" one for me - the cache was buried, and he was digging around like he does and uncovered the top of the cache container. Dogs rule!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

Absotively posilutely! I don't think we've done a cache yet without them. When they see us putting batteries in the GPSr, they start running and jumping with joy because they know it's time to go. I check the web to see if dogs are allowed in the parks we plan to visit.

Doggies!

[This message was edited by Dread Pirate Roberts' on March 30, 2003 at 10:15 PM.]

Here is a log entry I made when I got home from Caching with Zoe Dog Zoe dog would not go across the log so she swam across the creek and met us on the other side ( I did not know how much that creek would help out later) we walked along the trail and the GPSr took us right to the site...On the way back after the log Zoe took off in the bush and came out covered in white goop, When she ran past us we literaly lost our lunch!!!! (I aint kidding) I have never had anything attack my nose like that before...We looked around where she went in and there was this pile of stuff that used to be a salmon...We had to drive all the way back to Comox and there was no way she was going to get in the van smelling like that...Then we remembered the creek...We each stood on one side and called her back and forth across the creek 8 times...The goop was gone and the smell was almost bearable...Poor Zoe got 3 baths when we got home...Took the duck and left a turtle and a gel type keychain

79702_1600.jpg

Every body DANCE rock_band.gifbanana.gifchicken.gifmonkeydance.gifbandsmlz.gif

I would just like to give a warning to some geocachers that are thinking about taking a puppy with you to go geocaching. We have takin our dog Chi on almost every cache we have found.

It's been a year and we are still taking Chi with us to help find the cache. LOL The problem is that I can't even grab my coat without the dog going nuts. I go for my keys and the dog goes nuts. All I have to do is touch the gps or the camera and the dog goes nuts. He thinks every time I walk out the door he's going on a hunt with me. LOL At times this could be very funny and somewhat cool, but when I go to the local store for milk or something, it can get annoying.

The dog is just a geocaching nut. lol

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

The dogs go with me at every opportunity. They sit out the caches in federal parks or if the terrain looks like a problem.

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers. - Socrates

Thanks for this poll, cause I've been pondering the subject.....take them or not?

Both of my dogs are big, well not Great Danes, but past my knee. The older one is an Airdale. He is a head strong dog and a good trail pertner, always checking to see if everyone is still in line. (I love that about him) But on short hikes he knows when we turn back and is hard to catch, which is annoying.

The pup, (1yr old, from the pound, Lab-Chow mix) is a very sweet dog, loves everyone, but alas, seems to be bred to chase after horses.

Not good on a cache hunt!

I try to take the dogs with, but sometimes it's just not a good idea.

Sometimes the dogs add additional hiking to the hunt! 2 of my last 3 finds involved extra time to be a good dog person. One to go hunt for a rogue pup, the other to put him in the Jeep because he refused to ford a streem!

But I do enjoy their company. So I vote.....

Sometimes.

Prophetically Challenged

Our little geo-dog, Sonora, is not a stealth dog. She BARKS at everything. She doesn't go with us very often.

We're bad *parents*. We abandon her too often to go geocaching.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

Yep. Chewie goes Geocaching when I do. He's become very good at sit-stay.

I've found having a dog along makes you look less suspicious to geo-muggles.

"Oh, that guy's dog must be real interested in that tree." is a lot more sane sounding to folks than "That guy is really interested in that tree."

We have four dogs. Two Golden retrievers, a Jack Russel, and a pound puppy that looks to be part Rat Terrier, and part Taco Bell Dog!!!, But only the little ones are allowed on the cache trail. They went almost every time untill resently. We were looking for a cache along the Boise river, and they came back to the truck covered in ticks. They will be back on the hunt the next time. Now that we got rid of those pesky ticks.

Life is a gift, unwrap it and use it to the fullest!

Like so many others have stated, Lucy the Dog has come to recognize the tools of caching. Tho She wants to go in the car anytime we leave, she becomes maniacal when caching is on the schedule.

We keep her on the chain when starting to a cache, and keep a close eye for other dogs and people, but in rural areas she is usually able to run out her excess energy.

Only BIG problem; I am sure that more than once she has gotten poison ivy sap oon her fur, and yours truly ends up "infected."

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Two Geo Sisters:

Yes, we tend to plan our caching trips to allow Max the black geo dog to go also. Like some others said, all we have to do is bring out anything to do with caching and he goes nuts!

Gotta love their enthusiasm. icon_smile.gif for those that haven't seen the other thread, here's a pic of the infamous Max: Max the Black Dog

Thought I recognized that mug! <proof of memory loss removed>

CORRECTION: Duh! _I_ had Max last, I left him in a cache last weekend outside Anderson, CA. I must be slipping, I mixed him up with the TB I had left behind when I got him (Red Bear). The whole color&animal TB naming convention threw me for a loop I guess. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've recently decided that I really want to get myself a geo-dog, especially for the great cover they provide on many urban caches. People assume the dog is wandering around in circles and I'm just watching it.. if only they knew the truth!

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

[This message was edited by CurlyKrakow on May 18, 2003 at 10:39 PM.]