Just an idea..

MajBach

Many of you probably already do this, but others may not be aware of it:

I only started GeoCaching a few weeks ago, although I have used a GPS for years for flying and boating [great fun - geocahing - Ontario cachers can look forward to many 'marine' cahes this summer]. On several caches I've found, I've noticed little 'trinkets' that were identical in other caches, namely a spotted marble. After a bit of easy research, I figured they were being left by 'SpaceGirl'. I got to the point that if I spotted a marble in a cache, I knew she had been there.

This struck me as an interesting idea. I've seen some cahcers who have display cases on their wall showing all the items they have collected from their hunts. But other than a log, you really don't have anything to show for the caches you have placed. Wouldn't it be a nifty idea if we all thought of a little object that we left at EVERY cache we went to, stored in a seperate bag along with those from others, that was intended only for the person who left the cache there. It could be anything from a marble to a business card to a pin, whatever. A physical object in addition to your recorded log, that identifies you specifically [like a trademark or something] and is intended only for the person that left the cache for you to find.

I'm thinking about leaving a fishing lure - minus the hooks of course, or perhaps a pin in the shape of a plane.

Like I said, I know many of you do this already, but I think it would be neat if the idea was spread [like in the geocahing.com main page] and we all did this.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

[This message was edited by MajBach on March 12, 2002 at 08:44 PM.]

Already happening my Canadian friend ... do a search in the old forums on signature items ...

There are a bunch out there ... here's the one Team Hawk-eye is placing:

348_1202.jpg

Rich from NEPA has some really nice buttons he's leaving around ... There are starting to be a lot of things to collect.

348_1002.gif

I've been reading these posts twice daily for two weeks now and never saw a mention of it. Thirthy seconds after posting this thread, I see a thread in the Canadian forum about ideas for 'Trademarks'.

Duh?

Are these things intended for the cache owner or for anyone though?

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

Rich and I both place these in caches we find ... and we place ... that's how most people do them ... just make something to leave ... I also leave collector cards in my caches ... There's a graphic on each page if you want to check them out ... Hawk 1-A ... through Hawk 14. Seem to be popular.

348_1002.gif

I think what MajBack is talking about is something being left for the Cache owner. I think I'll start bringing along a bag that I'll label Cache Owner Gift.I do leave handmade fishing flies as a signature item now but I like the idea of giving something to the person who did all the work.

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by rut:

I think what MajBack is talking about is something being left for the _Cache owner_. ... I like the idea of giving something to the person who did all the work.

Bob

What a great idea MajBack and Rut. Signature items like Hawkeye's but for the cache owner — Cool...hmmmm, now the brain needs to figure out what!

I like the idea of leaving something for the cache owner BUT! If the cache is visited very often, it will get extremely FULL extremely FAST.

It might be a good idea to have a second container if this becomes a problem. That will keep the owner from coming out every couple of days to empty the container of gifts.

quote:
Originally posted by ladybuggers:

I like the idea of leaving something for the cache owner BUT! If the cache is visited very often, it will get extremely FULL extremely FAST.

It might be a good idea to have a second container if this becomes a problem. That will keep the owner from coming out every couple of days to empty the container of gifts.

One way around this could be to make a false bottom ... or, I think I've seen this before, boxes with a small bottom on it that opens up where you can stash stuff ... I like the idea of cache owner gifts ...

My problem is I don't know where to find or where to look for what I'm looking for. So ...

Godzirra (roar)

quote:
Originally posted by ladybuggers:

If the purpose would just be to say "Thanks for a geat cache!" Then a business-card-type gift would be appropriate. Great color cards can be had very cheaply on the net these days. I'm already planning to get some more for this purpose. If I'm not careful I'll have to come up with a separate filing system for all my different cards. (I-Print hewre I come!)

=-=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

flyingopus.gif

Visit my Buddhist Reading Room.