Longer log-in times?

Guest kbraband

Guest kbraband

Is there a way to have my log-in to My Cache Page last longer? It seems like I'm re-entering my name and password everytime I turn around. Additionally, it woud be nice if I could have the password saved as a cookie so I wouldn't have to bother logging in each time. Anyone else experience this frustration, or come up with a solution?

Guest gstrong1

get the free download from www.gator.com. Put your information in once,& every time you go to a web page requiring user name & password,just click on the pop-up box & information is entered.been in use here for about 1 1/2 years & works great.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

[This message has been edited by gstrong1 (edited 22 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by gstrong1 (edited 22 June 2001).]

Guest ALacy

gator.com might be useful if you don't mind the following from their privacy policy: Gator ServWareApps pay attention to where you are on the web in order to know when to offer assistance (e.g., automatically recognizing and offering to help fill out forms that appear in your browser) as well as to create a profile that is used to select and deliver special offers and advertisements that we think might be of interest to you. http://www.gator.com/help/privacy_license-2.0.html

Guest cleenjeep

and in laymans terms: Gator is spyware, plain and simple. It collects data, takes up space on your computer, and robs your bandwidth. I guess if you don't mind any of the above, and have a T1 connection, then what does it matter? I have a super slow dial up, and it is slow enough already. Beware of programs like this, they infect your computer in ways you couldn't even imagine. Now try to delete the program.. HA! They got you again... I gave up and got a new computer when I realized I had a whole slew of programs like this doing things I didn't know they were doing. Good Luck...

Michael

quote:
Originally posted by ALacy:

gator.com might be useful if you don't mind the following from their privacy policy: Gator ServWareApps pay attention to where you are on the web in order to know when to offer assistance (e.g., automatically recognizing and offering to help fill out forms that appear in your browser) as well as to create a profile that is used to select and deliver special offers and advertisements that we think might be of interest to you. http://www.gator.com/help/privacy_license-2.0.html

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
... when I realized I had a whole slew of programs like this doing things I didn't know they were doing.

If you're not running ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com) then you're at "their" mercy.

ZoneAlarm is a combo personal firewall (check yourself with ShieldsUp at www.grc.com) and an application approval system. Whenever an application tries to connect to the internet you are notified and given the option to allow it (once/always) or not.

I don't connect to the internet without it!

Highly recommended and FREE.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

[This message has been edited by Peter Scholtz (edited 22 June 2001).]

Guest gstrong1

Yes Jeremy .I've been running ad aware with gator & works fine.I've also been running Zone Alarm for over a year.So impressed with the program & all thats been written up about it that I purchased the upgrade to Zone Alarm Pro.I'm not real big on the paranoia thing.Never had a problem since I first installed Gator & it has saved me countless hours of typing usernames & passwords.Will continue to use it.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:

Gator won't work for me because I'm on a Mac. As far as modifying a Favorites page in my browser, can you advise how to do that?

Email me at president@sdmug.org with your Mac questions.

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:

Gator won't work for me because I'm on a Mac. As far as modifying a Favorites page in my browser, can you advise how to do that?

I'm assuming you're using IE on MacOS 9.1. I'm using OS X, so it may be a little different. Under the favorites menu, select "organize favorites" (not any of the sub menus). In the window that pops up, click on the geocaching entry, and click on the URL portion, and you should be able to edit it. If that doesn't work, try holding down the control key while clicking on the entry, and select "edit address" from the pop-up menu.

Hope that helps. As to why it doesn't last very long, that's the way that IIS and ASP handle session information. The sessions aren't kept very long on the server side because it takes up too much memory otherwise. You can make a little more sophisticated system, but it's a lot of work. I'm very grateful that Jeremy has provided such a great profession looking site.

-- Mitch