Special treatment for approvals - ok or not?

Mr. Snazz

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

In your opinion, is it appropriate for a cacher who is acquainted with an approver to ask the approver to "fast track" the approval of their cache?

If someone I knew asked me to do that, I would not jump right to their cache page and approve it. What I would do is make an effort to work through the pending caches as soon as possible so I could get to their cache in a timely manner. If I know I am going to get to be able to get that done right away I'll try to give them a time frame in which it will be done.

TMJ--Admin.

Don't mind us, we're just looking for tupperware in this bush.

quote:

In your opinion, is it appropriate for a cacher who is acquainted with an approver to ask the approver to "fast track" the approval of their cache?

How much money is involved here? icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I try to avoid this. But it is possible to view certain situations as favoritism: assume geocacher A submits a complex puzzle multicache on Friday and geocacher B (friend of Keystone) submits a painfully simple 1/1 in a town park on Monday. Keystone returns on Monday from a 3-day geocaching spree. I will likely approve cacher B's submission first, because it whittles the queue down quicker, and tackle the complex multi at a later time. I don't view this as favoritism, but geocacher A might.

If you changed the facts so that my friend submitted the complex multicache on Monday, and I approved that one before the simple 1/1 submitted on Friday, that would be favoritism. I wouldn't do that.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

quote:

Asking is wrong.

Paying cash for cache would be fine though.

BTW - for your next troll poll, it's also wrong to kill kittens and steal candy from babies.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

I can only really speak for Michigan and since there really isn't a 'line' of caches waiting to be approved here I don't see a problem with jumping right on something like that. For the most part they really wouldn't need to ask because it probably was already taken care of. We get many caches sumitted each and every day and they are handled in a timely manner to begin with.

*boy I sure hope this doesn't turn into another "flame the approvers" thread*

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

Last time I looked, caches are supposed to be approved within two days of submission. If two days have passed, I see nothing wrong with a cacher asking an approver to look into the delay. However, "cutting in line" isn't fair.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

agree Bloencustoms

Whats 2 days. I have had no problems getting caches approved and if someone cannot wait up to 2 days.....Come on

.-=Amish_Hacker=-.

quote:
Originally posted by CO Admin:

Personal attack of cachers are not allowed by the forum guidelines, MrSnazz please correct this in your first post

I edited it.

And it was NOT a personal attack. The cacher in question was upset that other people thought my post was about him. I edited my post to let people know that it wasn't.

Great.

An interesting question.

Yes, you may ask. As many times as you want.

Should it happen? No.

First come first served unless you use the example by KA. That I would not have a problem with.

Whatever it takes to move through the newest caches the fastest is what I would request. No matter who has the hard or simple cache.

logscaler.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.

quote:

No. I think in light of all the paranoia lately, it's important for the approvers to take the high road and not show the slightest hint of favoritism or bias toward any one cacher or any group of cachers.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

quote:

I expect approvers to consider special requests based on their merits and not who is asking. But an occasional favor to people who have earned respect is fine by me.