Signs that you're caching too much

Swagger

I didn't know it, But, After reading this topic I thought Hmmmm, Maybe I am caching too much or at least thinking about it too much.

Every time a part comes in and it comes in a Ziploc Bag, I make sure I keep the Ziploc bag in my toolbox. I think they're good for putting the trinkets in and putting it into the cache as the Ziploc bag keeps whatever inside it nice & dry. I decided I'd bring the bags home so I could use them in my Caches.

I counted them. I have 700 of the Bloody Things.

Anyone want some Ziploc Bags?

Damian Mueller

damian007@optusnet.com.au

I think the picture of my bookshelf explains it all...though I will admit I cleaned it up a bit for the photo. Had more stuff until last week, guess i'm needing to restock.

icon_biggrin.gif! I'm sure my roommate is getting tired of looking at it though... maybe I should go hide it!

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

Or how about when you browse back through your email inbox for the last few weeks and find:

322 total messages:

54 forum notifications

23 found your cache notifications

27 "contacting you from GC.com"

139 cache and TB watch list notifications

37 Pocket queries and weekly cache reports

only 42 emails relating to something other than geocaching, including spam.

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Chaoss:

now that the scurrying woodland creatures have come out of hibernation, theres plenty of sustenance to be had while caching. want a roast chipmunk leg, Leprachaun ?

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

icon_razz.gif

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

I just placed a micro on campus very close to my appartment a few weeks ago, and have been hoping to catch somebody out trying to find it- i've almost run into finders once or twice. Just a few minutes ago, while returning from class, I spotted a person standing out by the roadside holding a small black object aloft. Quickening my pace, I excitedly hurried in his direction, only to discover that he was just a professional photographer taking light readings with a handheld meter icon_frown.gif . So, I guess I should add:

When you spot a person from a distance holding something small such as a cell phone or even a rolled up dog leash, and have to get a little closer to check to see if they are a cacher with a GPSr.

When a grown single man without children spends over $500 on Toys R Us clearance items and is overjoyed at finding a new thing that glows in the dark. (My night raid signature item.)

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

awesome post!

...when you start scoping out normal sprinklers juuuust in case it happens to be a cache...

...when you began driving the same route everyday to and from home past the cache that you planted just to see if theres any cachers around...

Cool deal.

~~Cache Money Bling Bling~~

This was a really funny thread to read. I just had to get my 2 cents in here....

1.Way too many extra miles on the car...

2.Getting excited about quitting my job in

July... More caching time!!

3.Took a vacation and planned a 3 day caching trip to Wisconsin. Cached until after midnight the first night! Sleep, we don't need no stinkin' sleep!!

4. Upon returning from the trip, hit a few more cached since they were on the way home from our meeting place.

5. My bedroom is cluttered with geocaching item of all sorts.

6. I carry my GPSr with me wherever I go just in case there is a cache nearby.

7. Look at my user name..Geogeek65..bestowed upon me by my girlfriend. I thik she hit it right on the head!

8. Have been late for work because I was out hiding or hunting caches.

9. The colors Green, Yellow, Blue and Orange have become my favorites.

10. Applied for a vanity plate for the car that reads....GEOGEEK

11. Have woken up from a dead sleep with a cache idea.

12. A hike of .3 miles or less is considered a "drive up".

13. Bought a dog just so I can have a companion when caching. (Geddy the caching k9)

14. When I die, I have requested that my wake be listed as a Cache Event and my final coordinates be listed on my gravestone.

I'm sure there are my more but I think I'll stop there. You all get the jist....I'm obsessed! icon_smile.gif

Well, I started to realize I have been caching too much when it took what can only be attributed to divine intervention to prevent me:

With just one more cache to go before I would have found every one within 30 miles of my home (with exception of two accessible only by boat, however), The Powers That Be decided to send a week of tornadoes, lightning, mudslides, and floods. As soon as the weather becgan to clear, I set out with the GPSr in hand, only to discover that the final cache had been washed away- and it was 7 feet off the ground in a tree! Apparently a nearby river had risen about 2 feet above this level. The next day, I decide to hide one of my own- a series of micros that ends in a 3/4 star at the top of a small cliff. I drive 45 minutes out of town, hike up to the first hiding spot, and discover that I had left the little containers at home and had nothing to put the intermediate clues in. Okay, fine, I guess I'll drop the intermediate steps and make it a traditional. I had been planning a one day road trip for this weekend down to Chattannooga for, yep, you guessed it. However, my transmission died the night before and I am now stuck at my appartment for the week with no transportation. Tried asking some of my friends, but the converstation always seems to turn out the same:

Me: Hey, things are pretty boring here, nothing ever happens on Saturday.

Them: Yeah,

Me: Want to drive around a little, oh, say, to Crossville?

(note: Crossville is 80 miles from my home icon_wink.gif )

Them: Let me guess, somebody there placed out a new geocache...

Me: Well, beats sitting around here.

Them: Are you kidding? I just about died last time I was foolish enough to go along with you on one of those things!

BTW, my friends always assume that when I am going anywhere by car, I am going caching. Sad thing is they always seem to be right...

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

When I walk around the Natural Science Museum that I work in and wonder how to do an indoor cache/scavenger hunt for the next local event cache.(This building is so solid most people can't even get cell reception unless they are near a window;fuggataboutit for GPS signal)

Hmm. cacher soandso would hide his in that fallen tree... this cacher would hide one in the geology exhibit hall.... icon_confused.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by DavidMac:

BTW, my friends always assume that when I am going anywhere by car, I am going caching. Sad thing is they always seem to be right...

You're geocaching too much...

When the two and a half hour drive between your home and your in-laws takes eight hours...

when you develop a repetitive impact injury in your foot that's usually only seen in runners

when you plan to make a cache just for a TB

when you spend several hours downloading caches for your province/state and the next closest Provence's/states (although I've only done this for cities so far)

More to see, More to do

You're caching too much when:

You've spent your whole life watching cool things in the sky like lunar eclipses and tonight, when there is a nice full eclipse, instead of looking at it you're out finding 2 caches in the neighborhood (and a third one after the eclipse).

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

As soon as a storm crops up you head to get that diffucult cache becuse it's in a area where there is to many geomuggles

your heading out to a cache and thunder rumbles ominously overhead and your in a open feild. you contiue out to find the cache anyway.

your idea of breaking in a new pair of hiking boots is to wear them out geocaching

(Did all 3 today)

More to see, More to do

You're geocaching too much...

...when you get startled by an ordinary spam email that says:

quote:
Deleting 'Cache And History' WILL NOT protect You!
Which cache have I deleted now? Is Jeremy threatening me?icon_eek.gif Oh, it was about computer protection only... *whew*icon_razz.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Since someone is bound to point out the obvious:

Being prolific in the forums does not a geocacher one make

Considering the 100+ forum postings and 0 finds or hides you've managed in the past week, we must all agree that you are well qualified to make that statement. icon_wink.gif

I was going to start a similar threat based on Jeff Foxworthy's redneck list. As in:

If

... you are more likely to have your GPSr on you than your cell phone ...

... your truck is full of map books, topo maps, aerial photos, and Geocaching.com printouts ...

... your car/truck is full of small toys, but you don't have kids or your kids are too old for them ...

... you've started carrying your mountain bike to work in case a bikable cache shows up on the page during the day ...

... you come to work with a big gash on the top of your head and a coworker says, "Did you cut your head geocaching?" ("yes") ...

... you schedule at least five hours to make a two hour drive ...

... when you go on a business trip, you automatically do a search for travel bugs to carry with you and pick up on the return trip ...

... you go to Washington, D.C. for the first time and spend more time urban caching than looking at the sites and museums ...

... you take up peripherally related hobbies, such as carving rubber stamps out of erasers, stenciling, etc. ...

... you start wondering why people bother with street addresses anymore, why don't they just publish their lat/long? ...

... you obsess over geographical relationships around town, like the fact that your house is 8.43 miles from your office, but you have to drive 12.57 miles to get there ...

... you start doing even more pointless related activities, like benchmark hunting, geodashing, or trying to find the foundation of the old post office that shows up on the USGS topos and ExpertGPS waypoint files, even though it was torn down in the 1950's ...

... your dress pants you wear to work regularly have grass and mud stains on them ...

If any of these fit you, you *might* be a geocacher.

BTW, all of the above are true except for the one about the toys, my kids are young enough, and I've gotten in trouble with them already for trying to take toys they like for caches (not McToys, but action figures, Slinkies, etc.)

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Does the 15 hours I've spent looking for ONE cache location count?

Did you mean for hiding a cache, or you just couldn't find the access point for a cache you were seeking?

If it's the former, the answer is undoubtedly "not unless it's a 1/1 dash-and-grab."

quote:
BassoonPilot wrote:

Did you mean for hiding a cache, or you just couldn't find the access point for a cache you were seeking?

If it's the former, the answer is undoubtedly "not unless it's a 1/1 dash-and-grab."

Zuuk spoke to me about this and it's for hiding a cache. Definitely, it isn't a 1/1 dash-and-grab. You have to know Zuuk though, and his caches are some of the best locations around. He puts a great deal of thought into his placements. I've spent all of 15 hours finding the right location for a cache. Guess I'm spending too much time as well.

quote:
Originally posted by ZingerHead:

When layoff rumors at work don't make you nervous, but rather excited at the thought of all that newfound caching time! I'm fired? Woo-Hoo!!!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

LOL

Back a few years ago I got laid off from Schlumberger-Sedco Forex in Houston. I think my boss was actually more bummed out about it than I was. At least I got in a bunch of skydives over the next few weeks..

carpe cerevisi

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

When I am driving and see nothing, but places to hide caches.

When anything comes into the house and it looks like a potential cache prize.

When you have 5 travel bugs sitting at home.

When you have caches set up around the house, but not hidden.

When you will do anything to get the cache even if it involves injury.

I've geocached in my underwear, slept overnight in a park so I could get in first thing in the morning to get the cache, I also have jogged a half a mile to be a first-finder because I thought a family who parked next to me was a family of geocachers, I drove 1000 miles to Florida on vacation but ended up geocaching the whole time there. I spend my Friday nights on the forums. I am such a loser....... icon_frown.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

michigan_fl_md_wht.gif "Michigan Geocaching At It's Best!"

"If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure."

- Dan Quayle