Signs that you're caching too much

Swagger

I took my daughter out in a downpour today, just to get a cache that I didn't make it to last week.

Now, that's just sick.

Also (as in at least one other thread):

Always remarking: "there's a good hiding spot" as you drive around the city.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, that could be a sign that you're not caching enough. Much in the same way that the human body often craves foods containing nutrients it needs, your subconscious is pleading with you for another caching trip.

I'd get out to the woods as fast as possible if I were you!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

• When you HAVE to find that cache, even though it's getting dark, and you are on very dangerous terrain, and you've forgotten where the path is to get you out of there!

• When you have to pull your flashlight out because it is too dark to see any more, but you still haven't found that cache.

• When you have to scramble up the side of the gorge rather than taking the hiking trail back because you are quickly running out of daylight, and forgot to bring the flashlight.

• When you plan your vacation stops around caches you want to hit.

• When you make every one of your friends and family come out geocaching with you at least once.

• When you envy retired people because they can go geocaching all the time.

• When you have ruined more than one pair of shoes wading through mud, slush, snow and water to get to the cache!

• When you download a cache close to somewhere that you need to go, so that you can use it to navigate towards (in case you get lost).

• When all your weekends in a month are booked with geocaching events.

• When you have to respond to a thread about geocaching too much with a top ten list of your own!

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Signs I'm caching too much:

I no longer visualize/think of the city in terms of streets and addresses but rather cache locations. (You want directions to the movie theater? Go to this cache.)

Signs I'm really addicted with this sport:

Last year I went after a new cache in the desert, 1/2 mile walk, blazing afternoon sun, 112 degree heat, monsoon humidity, right after I had a root canal, before I got the pain meds from the pharmacy. icon_eek.gif My life will never be the same again.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

A friend at work (and fellow geocacher) just bought a house. I could hear people asking her where the new house was but could never quite catch the response. So when we were in the break room together I asked. She started to reply with general directions and suddenly stopped and said **Oh I am talking to you. It's just around the corner from Six in a Row **

So I guess my answer is:

When answers are easier by relating to geocache locations.

You know you are caching too much when you start looking for caches in random places just for fun and then find one that hasn't been approved yet, and then sit back and watch after it gets approved to see who goes for the FTF, only to be beat by you somehow. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I am so guilty of so much of this stuff, making way down a trail in the dark, ruining multiple shoes and pants, and shirts, and countless socks---hey its not that I am wearing inapropriate footwear, its just that I didnt plan on a new cache being put right up on one of my homepages....I just had to get them.

When I was still with my ex, she went to go grocery shopping. I was down with the flu and couldnt even think straight, she was sick also and throwing up.

I got a email from matt and laura about one of their Springwater trail caches. It was only .6 miles from my house. SO I figure, Mom will be gone for at least an hour...she left 15 minutes ago...I can get there and back well before then. I bribe my daughter to not tell her, everything is set..we find the cache, I can barely stand up as it is...took about ten minutes of searching...carrying her the whole way and she was bundled up with about 20 pounds of clothes and jackets and hats, and gloves. It was already dark..I was out there with a flashlight. We get back and beat mom back..woohooo.

I gave my daughter 5 bucks and promised to take her to chuck e. cheese that weekend for not telling.

As soon as mom walks in the door....she spilled the beans and had to show the new toy she got.

Man was I so busted. Even more so than the time I taught her to say "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the peoples republic of china", instead of "America." Something about getting a call at work from the teacher at school didnt sit to well with mom.

But along the same lines..I got in less trouble than when I had the day off, I woke up at about 8 am to go do some caching. Well mom was running late that morning and left a huge and I mean HUGE note taped to the TV..figuring that I almost religiously watch the morning news everyday. Well I woke up late and had allot of caching to do...I didnt even see the note that said to take my daughter to school. All I was thinking about was hitting 7-11 and getting some coffee so I could start the day. Well anyway....I go caching, ran some errands, did some more caching, and got home at around 4. Here comes my daughter running around the corner.

SHe spent the whole day with my dog just hanging out, eating pop-tarts and cereal, drinking gatorade and watching cartoons.

Woh did I get both ends of the barell on that one.

I would says my lack of wanting to be at work (took 3 sick days off within the last month to go caching)

Going for drives to look for hiding spots for new caches with gas prices the way they are...

The lunch hour caches can no longer be done within the hour due to proximity from work.

When you go to the grocery or hardware store for $10 worth of stuff and wind up coming home another $20 worth of cache trade items.

When every time you see a new container, you find yourself thinking "would this make a good cache container?".

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Last night I dreamt I had to drop off some scrap metal at the local yard and found a treasure trove of unique military equipment containers of various and interesting shapes and sizes.

...and realizing it wouldn't sit well with Sissy if I brought any home as I have enough containers to plant about 200 caches as it is!

Boy, was I bummed.

...until I woke up and realized I was only dreaming. But I do have way too many containers already.

CR

72057_2000.gif

You go in for a new set of tires and an oil change, and less than two weeks later, you return for your now well-overdue next oil change. (Yes, it's true, and I get to replace one of the brand new tires due to a road hazard, too.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

You go in for a new set of tires and an oil change, and less than two weeks later, you return for your now well-overdue next oil change. (Yes, it's true, and I get to replace one of the brand new tires due to a road hazard, too.)

_[[[ http://clayjar.com/ ]]]_

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Yep,me too. Not that extreme, but I seem to be doing my 3-month oil changes in more like 2 months or a bit less.

When you run out of the house close to midnight because someone just posted a new cache within 10 miles of your house despite the fact you have to get up early the next day and go to work, just so you can log first find.

I don't watch TV anymore, except for news and science programs.

My dog no longer gets excited when I grab the car keys. (She barks at everything, makes it hard to be discreet when caching, so she gets left behind.)

God help me, I could read that without the key. And some of the words I could read without even translating the letters.

You can usually get the larger pharmacy vials for free or at most a very small fee if you go to a chain pharmacy and offer to pay for one. Independent pharmacies count every penny so I wouldn't ask at those.

I was in Myrtle Beach, SC earlier this week for a business trip. As always I packed both my golfclubs and my caching gear. I blew off golf, found five MB area caches on Tuesday, and plotted my return trip on Wednesday to make my meeting and make five more finds on the way home! icon_rolleyes.gif (For those of you not in the know-MB is the golfers Mecca (can I say that here) with over 100 courses spread out over a 50 mile stretch of coastline.)

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

11:30pm, 12" of snow already, more falling, icy roads, subzero without the windchill, and looking for " a white bucket under the only white pine in the area."

1) wrong coordinates

2) no clue the difference between white pine, scotch pine, etc.

3) had brother-in-law with me

4)cant stand brother-in-law

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Well, here is one, ..

I haven't cached in several weeks, ..

bought a motor home, and yesterday I stayed home {sick} so I could get my newest toy tagged, inspected, titled and insured. ... what is it you ask???? I sold my sports car (too low ground clearance and couldn't get to caches) and purchased a 1977 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser (mean SOB) so I can get to the caches where we go motor coaching. ... sick!! I don't plan to do a lot of caches, but I plan to get to some good ones.

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

I had the flu a few weeks ago. Thought I felt better on Sunday after missing work on Thu-Fri. I decided to go and see if I could find a few caches to the east of town. Drove about 50 miles to the furthest one after getting a couple along the way. This one was up in the mountains a little ways. I had to drive through snow about 16" deep to get to the cache area. The cache was off to the side of the road about 50'. The snow was 2' deep in most of the area with 3' deep places. I dug around for about 45-50 minutes while it was snowing. I didn't find the cache either. After I got home, the next day I was really sick and headed to the doctor. I did find three caches on that trip though.

A previous post gives me an idea. I have several hundred new prescription bottles of various sizes that our pharmacy at work was going to throw out because they were contaminated with a little dust from remodeling a wall. Time to put out about 50 micros I think.

Today I had to attend a mandatory seminar from 8:30 to 1:00 concerning a topic that I was already an expert at. Soooo... what to do to pass the time while the speakers droned on? Hmmmm.... How about trying to make a list from scratch of all the geocaches I've found so far?

90 minutes later, I have a yellow legal pad with all 243 of my cache finds listed on it. By cache name. From memory. I scared myself a bit.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips