Travel Bug Protocol?

Greetings fellow Cachers,

I just went for a little ride to do some beachcombing today and checked on one of my caches. I must have just missed a cacher visiting from Tokyo because he found it and left a travel bug in it.

My question is;

Is it wrong for me to take a travel bug from my own cache and take it to another cache? I will be traveling from Japan to the States and figured the TB could get some great milage? Wasn't sure if I would be breaking any protocols. Natually I would log it on my cache page and log it on the TB page as well.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. This is my first exposure with a TB.

"I cache; therefore I am"

In my opinion: logging your own cache would be a bit overdone, but I can't see why you shouldn't be allowed to log the TB's page: after all, the purpose of those TB's is to be found, picked up and moved to another locations, if applicable complying with owner's specific instructions. It doesn't really matter who finds it, as long as the logs are kept up to date.

Again: this is my opinion. Personally I think one of the charming aspects of Geocaching is the fact that it can be done with an absolute minimum of protocol and regulations icon_wink.gif

Regards, Doofie, The Netherlands

No problem with taking a TB from your cache. Just log it as a note on your cache page, rather than a find. Many people feel it's inappropriate to log a find on your own cache, but if you can help a travel bug move along, that's great.

Just check the travel bug's page to make sure what you are doing is consistent with the TB's goals (if it has any).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry