Sockpuppets

solohiker

I applaud the new policy to remove sockpuppets from the forums. I wasn't too sure what a sockpuppet was, but now that I know and I also know that a policy exists. It makes sense.

Enforcing a policy like this seems simple enough. There is no reason for this to be subjective. I would like to offer my expertise in programming services to insure that no sockpuppet ever posts another thread.

If interested, you know how to contact me:-)

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

And if BrianSnat can't have a sockpuppet account that pretty much rules me out.

You guys with thousands of posts, where would you get the TIME for a sock pupper account????

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

My experience with forums indicates that regulars are the primary culprits when it comes to creating trolls. Or sockpuppets as they are called in this forum.

The number of posts is an indicator of probability.

I don't know if I qualify as a reg or not but as far as sockpuppets are concerned I have not a one. I have been thinking of coming up with one just so that I can beat up on solohiker though. icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif Just kidding and don't take it any other way than a light hearted joke.

Its time things are lightened up in here and thats that.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

I once made a sock-like newspaper bag puppet, does that count? The bag was orange and I put tape with drawings of eyes on it, put it over my hand and walked around the office with it saying "char charmander" over and over. Of course that just proved to my co-workers that I'm a freak. I just found it again in my file cabinet the other day. Maybe it is time to freak out the new co-workers. icon_eek.gif

pokeanim3.gif

How do we know that we aren't all sock puppets in some ultra-advanced being's fantasy? We are probably just sims geocaching obliviously away for their amusement... I hope I didn't just make them angry because I gave away their secr....................................

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Off/T

quote:
The bag was orange and I put tape with drawings of eyes on it, put it over my hand and walked around the office with it saying "char charmander" over and over.

Are you available for childrens' birthday parties?

On/T

I forsee the logical progression to the next thread: "Guess the Sock Puppet's Puppetmaster!".

I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

Sockpuppets are a great way to release that 'evil twin' hidden deep inside all of us. Apparently, with some of us, the 'evil twin' is closer to the surface. icon_smile.gif

I'm going to have to create a sockpuppet to show off my kinder more gentler side. icon_biggrin.gif

Would that be allowed?

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye,

A challenge to all sock puppets, we are not needed anymore.

Before this site was very unfriendly towards new bee’s and anyone that did not post a lot, but with the rules and guidelines for posting on the forums this has become a better place.

This sock puppet account is a group of more than ten people from around the U.S. that use it whenever they felt there was a need and we are all charter members. We are now putting this account into hibernation until a time it may be needed again, but do plan to keep our membership up to date because this by far the Greatest Show on Earth , well web site on earth.

OUR CHALLENGE is to give your sock puppet a rest and put it in hibernation for a while and see how thinks go here, you can always bring it back.

Sock

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I'm going to have to create a sockpuppet to show off my kinder more gentler side. icon_biggrin.gif

Would that be allowed?

Yes El Diablo, in your case whats hidden deep inside is probably the 'kinder/gentler twin'. I base this on the fact that you are the 'Leader of the Evil Horde'. LOL! icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

Would that be allowed?

Yes El Diablo, in your case whats hidden deep inside is probably the 'kinder/gentler twin'. I base this on the fact that you are the 'Leader of the Evil Horde'. LOL! icon_cool.gif

Dosen't give off a very nice message...does it?

I'll have to work on that.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

quote:
Dosen't give off a very nice message...does it?

I'll have to work on that.

I don't know about that ED. My limited experience with you is that you speak softly and make nice big sticks. icon_wink.gif

Groaning permitted here now.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I once made a sock-like newspaper bag puppet, does that count? The bag was orange and I put tape with drawings of eyes on it, put it over my hand and walked around the office with it saying "char charmander" over and over. Of course that just proved to my co-workers that I'm a freak. I just found it again in my file cabinet the other day. Maybe it is time to freak out the new co-workers. icon_eek.gif

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

Puppets scare me icon_eek.gif jk

"When in doubt...hit it with a hammer" C²™

quote:
Originally posted by Sock Puppet:

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye,

A challenge to all sock puppets, we are not needed anymore.

Before this site was very unfriendly towards new bee’s and anyone that did not post a lot, but with the rules and guidelines for posting on the forums this has become a better place.

This sock puppet account is a group of more than ten people from around the U.S. that use it whenever they felt there was a need and we are all charter members. We are now putting this account into hibernation until a time it may be needed again, but do plan to keep our membership up to date because this by far the Greatest Show on Earth , well web site on earth.

OUR CHALLENGE is to give your sock puppet a rest and put it in hibernation for a while and see how thinks go here, you can always bring it back.

Sock

This is a post that bears repeating. As a new moderator I am glad to take up this CHALLENGE and do my best to ensure that geocachers are comfortable posting their opinions and ideas and stories in the forums, in compliance with the posted guidelines, without feeling a need to hide from personal attacks. That is true whether it is the ten veteran cachers who comprise "Sock Puppet", or a newbie who is shy about posting a question in the "Getting Started" forum.

My goal, although it's perhaps too lofty, is to see some of the veteran posters return to these forums... the folks who left because the place turned them off, and who decided it's more fun to just find geocaches. The forums CAN be part of the fun. And I am saddened that we have lost the benefit of the knowledge possessed by community members who have chosen not to return here.

This is one Sock Puppet posting that I won't be moderating. Rather, I'll be printing it out and framing it. Thank you for your expression of confidence. And thanks, too, to Solohiker for starting this thread, which has sparked some useful discussion.

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

This is one Sock Puppet posting that I won't be moderating. Rather, I'll be printing it out and framing it. Thank you for your expression of confidence. And thanks, too, to Solohiker for starting this thread, which has sparked some useful discussion.

--------------------

You are welcome!

So can you help me with the threads I start that are immediately deleted?

icon_eek.gif The jumproping penguin has returned. Now that exactly what KA is talking about. I recall getting some real good serious advice from the likes of Mr Sz et al when I first started out and before I got so _____________ (insert own adjective here). icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

You are welcome!

So can you help me with the threads I start that are immediately deleted?

It depends on their content, solohiker, judged against the published guidelines. I did not see any thread started by you that was deleted (there are several moderators for this forum). If I saw a thread that warranted deletion under the guidelines, I would delete it, whether it was originated by you or by anyone else. If I see a thread that has merit and sparks interesting discussion, I will be grateful to the originator for making a positive contribution. Respect can be earned, and that statement works in both directions.

--------------------

Respect can ONLY be earned, it is not something handed out to many but to those that truly deserve it. Keystone Approver, while it may not mean much to you coming from me, but you have already earned my respect, and I believe from many others on these forums. You handle the difficult sititutions with both humor and gentleness that will rarely cause bad feelings from those envolved. So keep up the good work and don't get jaded like some others in the past have.