us army survey markers

Guest webfargo

You can start by checking out the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website.

I did a cursory search from their site for "survey markers" and "monuments" and came up with lots of PDF files, but nothing which listed locations or any monument search engines. You may spend a bit more time there. Let us know if you locate anything.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Thanks WF, Thanks alot... Now I've got more insane things to look for. I'd imagine locks, canals etc would be a place to look for them. Unfortunately the Cape Cod Canal visitor center has been closed for a while now. I saw them open a gate for the power company to get in last month.

Guest rdwatson78

On the subject of unusual survey markers, I found one yesterday set by the Illinois River Survey on the way to Project APE Mission 12. The pic is here: http://www.geocaching.com/cache/log/images/161239_200.jpg

The coordinates on the marker were right on the money. Not bad for a 99 year old marker. The marker is on top of a hill that a canal passes just south of so Cape Cod Cache might be right.

rdw

[This message has been edited by rdwatson78 (edited 15 January 2002).]

Guest Cape Cod Cache

the FLG6s 11 light at the mouth of the river. I go fishing there alot and know there is a marker, but never really paid attention to it. The wisdom is that the army is in control of jetties, canals, locks, dredging and all things water related... RDW, sounds like you found a control or witness post.

But alas, no way to tell if it's AC of E by a separate list. I did print out the blueprints for the markers though, perhaps I'll whip out some engraved units soon. Maybe tack one on a friends driveway. icon_biggrin.gif The site was written in: language,English,Mil-Spec, confusing.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

the FLG6s 11 light at the mouth of the river. I go fishing there alot and know there is a marker, but never really paid attention to it. The wisdom is that the army is in control of jetties, canals, locks, dredging and all things water related... RDW, sounds like you found a control or witness post.

But alas, no way to tell if it's AC of E by a separate list. I did print out the blueprints for the markers though, perhaps I'll whip out some engraved units soon. Maybe tack one on a friends driveway. icon_biggrin.gif The site was written in: language,English,Mil-Spec, confusing.

Guest T-storm

Sent an e-mail to a friend in KC that is in the Corps. He contacted folks in the survey group and was told that there is no PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE database of ACE survey marks. I had kinda hoped for one myself. Found 3 of them locally by accident while searching for a missing cache one day.

T-storm

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Sounds like you've got the beginnings of a publicly accessible database icon_wink.gif Given the number of cachers scourng the earth, we should have many of them logged and documented in no time. I'll be sure and update you with locations of any I happen to find icon_smile.gif

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I would like a site that is dedicated to NGS finds. I know computers from punch cards, but can't do a good database/server. I've found a bunch of NGS markers, looking for 'lost' units now. Did anyone else find a marker with NGS that is a USACE ?

my cache addy is capecache@hotmail.com

I have a slew of marks found, want to hear of more.

Wow! 10+ year old topic dredging!

How about 11+ years? I also found a local US Army Corps benchmark yesterday and I'm trying to find a database for them.

Actually since the last post -from A-Team- was in may 2012, you only bumped it from one year.

Wow! 10+ year old topic dredging!

How about 11+ years? I also found a local US Army Corps benchmark yesterday and I'm trying to find a database for them.

GeodeticDiskPL_zps3c48f535.jpg

I find those occasionally (actually a lot more frequently than I find regular benchmarks), but I don't know of a database for them.

The USACE Survey Monument Archival and Retrieval Tool is available at: https://rsgis.crrel.usace.army.mil/apex/f?p=493:4:

The map plots NGS control and gauges too.

Apparently, there still isn't one? The above dead link is actually the "u-smart archival & retrieval tool" link on the left hand side of This Corps of Engineers webpage and it's dead, Jim.

I actually found, last summer, a brand spanking new Corps of Engineers disc, with days old looking cement and stamped 2012, on a concrete pier in Lake Ontario. I remember looking for a database then, and had also come up empty. What, did that link work for a few days last year? :P

The online tool for getting info the USACE monuments is now active, and it's called the USACE Survey Monument Archival & Retrieval Tool (U-SMART). As of today the link to the home page of the tool https://rsgisias.crrel.usace.army.mil/apex/f?p=493:4:

Barring that, a net search for the name should get you there.

It's a little clunky, but seems to be OK for looking up marks. From the link above, click the Map tab at upper right to see the map. Find marks in your area and click the "Control Point" tab to get to the mark search page where you can enter the designation and get a link to the coordinate info.

Happy hunting!

The online tool for getting info the USACE monuments is now active, and it's called the USACE Survey Monument Archival & Retrieval Tool (U-SMART). As of today the link to the home page of the tool https://rsgisias.crrel.usace.army.mil/apex/f?p=493:4:

It's a little clunky, but seems to be OK for looking up marks. From the link above, click the Map tab at upper right to see the map. Find marks in your area and click the "Control Point" tab to get to the mark search page where you can enter the designation and get a link to the coordinate info.

Happy hunting!

Clicking on your link shows, "There is a problem with this website's security certificate" and asks that I don't enter.

Happy hunting!

Clicking on your link shows, "There is a problem with this website's security certificate" and asks that I don't enter.

The certificate still isn't up to date but, no matter, I used it to ID this COE mark I spotted while heading for the Hilo farmer's market last month:

542fdeb3-2770-45fa-86b3-b7fdd4626054.jpg

From the database:

https://rsgisias.crrel.usace.army.mil/apex/f?p=493:91:10418214734299:CREATEEDIT:::P91_CP_ID,P91_USER_STATE_PLANE_UOM:287278,USFT