New way to find a spot to place a cache

I have been geocaching for about a month now and really enjoy it. When I was playing on my computer Topo program I got the idea to look up locations where the lat/long had the same numbers. Orignally I wanted to place a cache at

N44 44.444 W111 11.111

but it is located in the middle of a lake. I then thought about N33 33.333 W111 11.111 but is located about 500 miles from me (50 miles east of Phoenix, Arizona). That would be cool if somebody placed a cache there. Maybe someday I might make it down there and place a cache if nobody does. I then found a location I really wanted to place a cache at

N41 11.111 W111 11.111

After looking it up on the maps I thought I would be able to get to it. Because of the numbers of the cache I called it "411 - Information Please". I bought a lot of phone related stuff and even bought a new cordless phone and put it in a large ammo box. After driving about 100 miles and reaching the location I found out it was private land and had a locked gate with signs saying "No Trespassing". I was only 2 miles away from the spot and was disapointed to come this entire way and not be able to place it. On the way home I did find another location that has all 4s and 1s in the long/lat and is still pretty cool. Approval is still pending.

Has anybody else seen any other caches that have unique coordinates?

Interesting idea... but sounds more like Degree Confluence than caching to me.

For me, caching is taking me to cool spots. If the only reason that a spot is cool is because of an arbitrary sequence of numbers that appear on the GPS screen when you arrive, then I'm not in favor. However.. if that spot also happens to be a neat place to visit, then I have no problem.

Jamie

We did http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=57132 a few weeks back. The cache was simply a plaque with the coordinates and a phrase inscribed on it. And the thing still disappeared shortly thereafter! What, did someone think it would look nice in their garden? Frankly, it wasn't the best of locations -- lots of bushwhacking, and some rusty barbed wire in the area. But that's kind of what happens when you have to allow the cache location to be dicated by the numbers on the GPS, rather than the spots suggested by the general area itself.

This may be an interesting way to find potential cache locations, but you'd definitely need to do a scouting trip before putting too much work into assembling the cache... as others have said, the coords can turn out to be on private property, inaccessible, in impossible terrain, or there may simply not be a hiding spot for a large ammo can, or an altoids tin, or whatever you brought along.

quote:
I then thought about N33 33.333 W111 11.111 but is located about 500 miles from me (50 miles east of Phoenix, Arizona). That would be cool if somebody placed a cache there. Maybe someday I might make it down there and place a cache if nobody does.

Sounds cool. Maybe I will check it out next week.

My new cache got approved. Here is the link

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=70459

After trying to get to

N41 11.111 W111 11.111

I went to

N40 11.111 W111 11.111

and it ended up being a great location. It is right by a lake with a great view and only .24 miles from a paved road. The only problem is that the exact location is kind of out in the open (just short grass) and kind of swampy. So instead of leaving it at this exact location I tell people "When you get to N40 11.111 W111 11.111 walk 280 feet at 40?(NE) to find the cache." - I was able to find a great location for it.

Is it ok to leave this as a Traditioinal Cache or should it be a multi or some other type since they have to arrive at the location and then go a short distance to find the cache?

quote:

Is it ok to leave this as a Traditioinal Cache or should it be a multi or some other type since they have to arrive at the location and then go a short distance to find the cache?

I believe that's what's called an offset cache.... but I don't know if those are usually called multis or not. Would making it a multi reduce the risk of people going to the first waypoint and searching under every blade of grass because they didn't know they were supposed to do something else there? I mean, if someone has the printout and doesn't bother to read it, that's their problem, but what if someone downloads a bunch of coordinates, hasn't read the page, and happens to be driving along when they see your coordinates pop up as the nearest to them? Do people usually put a special icon in their GPS when they download multis, which lets them know not to go to the downloaded coordinates and expect to find a cache?

I think that calling it a multi, so it at least has the multi icon on the cache page, would probably be useful. If the cache isn't at the coordinates posted, I wouldn't call it a traditional cache. But hey, I could be wrong.