Alluvial Material Stolen

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

If you are one of the many that have been waiting for a chance to hunt for Alluvial Material, you may be waiting a long time. Please read our post on the cache page

here

As we state on the cache page, we don't know what we are going to do with this cache, it may be replaced, it may not. As much as I want to run out tomorrow with a new ammo can, I just dont see the point in rehiding it in the same location, only to probably have it dissapear again!

Once we decide what to do about it, we will post a note to the cache page. If any of you have ideas about replacing a stolen cache, let us know.

Your input is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Team_Epitome

Sorry to hear about your luck, I was hoping to get out your way eventually (well one of these days it is a drive) and hit it, just because of how difficult it was and the problems people were having finding it (which was a GOOD thing by the way). I for one hope you replace it, replacing it in the same place would be great for us who haven't gotten out there yet, but unfortunately chances are it would be swiped again.

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

There seem to be some logs missing from the page.

I just checked...SON OF A *&@!%#*^#!!!!!!

What el10t was referring to was a find, and then a complaint that was logged by a new geocacher named "spookymike".

The story goes like this....we put a surprise in the cache last month for the next finder...a $20 bill....some guy named spookymike found the cache, but didnt see the envelope, logged a find, and all was well. Then, later the same day another person found the cache (as of now his posts are still on the cache page) and he DID find the envelope, as you can read about in his find log. After this, spookymike posted a note saying how displeased he was that he didn't find the money, and that apparently he was offended that the next person celebrated when they did.

Within a few days my cache turns up missing...and now so do the two logs from "spookymike".

What a great example to set for others....not happy with the actions of other people that found a cache that you found, so you take it out on someone that had nothing to do with any of it...and then try to cover your tracks and dissapear.

There are at least 15 people with this cache on thier watch list...they were all emailed when the two "now missing" posts were made......this whole thing stinks...and it is becoming pretty clear what the smell is!

icon_mad.gif

Yes, something smells, indeed; it is inconceivable to me that this cache could have been discovered by accident.

What's wrong with people like that? Just what do they think they are proving, except precisely how immature they are?

Sorry to learn of this; Alluvial Material was my 50th find . . . almost 300 finds ago, and it remained in my top 3 favorite geocaching adventures.

Events like this really makes one want to see tighter control on who has access to cache listings.

quote:
Originally posted by ROCKY:

Please let this be a lesson to everyone, want to ruin the game and bring out the worst in people, put items of value in your caches. Sad to say, but oh so TRUE!!!!!

I think this was just a case of bad sportmanship. The "Integrity Cache" started with $100 and the amount of money increased during the cache's one month run. Or perhaps that cache was the exception . . .

Sorry to hear about the plundering of this cache !! I hate people that plunder caches ... realmad.gif I recently had one of my caches plundered. They left an entry in the logbook 'Team Geoterror was here'. I hope this isnt becoming a trend ...help.gif

I was looking forward to returning to the scene of my cache nemesis and finally solving this one. I have a good idea where to search for it and am disappointed that I could not test my theory.

I vote that you should replace it. Summer is here and there will be a lot more seekers.

9929_1400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I checked the leaderboard to learn what other logs the suspect had posted. He had posted 7 find logs and one informational log in total. I checked the cache pages, and each log had been deleted.

I emailed "spookymike" and asked him why he deleted his logs. Here is his response:

T.E: I've decided that geocaching is not my cup of tea and have decided to

absent myself from the scene. Too much competitiveness for my liking.

Thanks anyway, though, for taking the effort to establish a challenging hide.

S

I guess the pressure of geocaching is just too much for some people. I just wish he would have figured this out by his 6th cache! (Alluvial Material was his 7th)

quote:
Originally posted by ROCKY:

Please let this be a lesson to everyone, want to ruin the game and bring out the worst in people, put items of value in your caches. Sad to say, but oh so TRUE!!!!!

Well, don't blame the victim. The responsibility for this kind of thing lays wholly on the perp, if you ask me.

wondergirl

I was the last one to find the cache and cash. I replaced it in the same location. I spent 3 trips and hours to find it. I was looking forward to viewing other attempts. I think it should be placed back once more. Is it really worth for someone to spend that long hike in to go and remove it again? It think it is worth giving it one more placement. After I found it I sent Spookeymike a nice friendly e-mail basically saying, hope there is no hard feelings and that if I was in his shoes I would be kicking myself too. I asked him what time was he there, which way did he come in etc. He never sent me an

e-mail reply. If it knew it was that important to him I would of sent him the 20 bucks.

Hey all, do we really know for sure spookymike did this? Lets not get into convicting him before evidence has been brought to bear.

I agree, he is a suspect. But, maybe he did just decide to bail out of geocaching. Coincidently, after the loss of his last find, of course.

I say replace the cache and see what happens. If someone is really vindicitive, they will hit it again. But I think the culprit may feel like they made their point and are moving on. All the better for us.

Lots of cachers want this thing to live so give it a life. I'll likely even get there someday since i'm always looking for something fun to do in NJ besides catching stripers.

Regards,

smoochnme

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

quote:
Originally posted by dja416:

I was the last one to find the cache and cash. I replaced it in the same location. I spent 3 trips and hours to find it. I was looking forward to viewing other attempts. I think it should be placed back once more. Is it really worth for someone to spend that long hike in to go and remove it again? It think it is worth giving it one more placement.

I just recieved a really nice email from dja416 regarding this whole matter. He and I had been exchanging emails for a while before he found this one. I cant speak for the rest of the team, but based on everything that you all have posted, I am leaning towards replacing the cache. Nothing official yet, but when I get a chance to meet up with the rest of Team_Epitome to discuss the fate of Alluvial Material, I will push for replacing the cache, with some minor modifications. In fact, I will probably start on it tomorrow! icon_cool.gif

I refuse to let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

Thanks for all your suggestions and thoughts,

Macro (member of Team_Epitome, and various other teams!)

I also would ask that you put it back. I agree that if it is taken again then forget it. I was looking forward to a return trip. And as I said in some other post, even if I didn't find it I would have sat on the rocks and enjoyed the scenery and sound of water on the rocks.

I know spookymike is a suspect but we don't know if he did it.

Let's take him for his word, he is no longer geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Orange:

I know spookymike is a suspect but we don't know if he did it. Let's take him for his word, he is no longer geocaching.

I am not blaming anyone at this point. Whoever did this will never step forward and say so, therefore it will always be a mystery. I am not concerned with who did this anymore. I've had a full day to reflect on this and now am just focused on what to do with the cache itself. We love this spot (thats why we chose it) and I really want to keep Alluvial Material alive. Frankly, I dont care who stole the cache, I just hope that it doesnt happen again. And hey, you know what...if it does, I will just keep putting it back there...because ammo cans are cheap, and eventually the thief will grow tired of ruining my day!

Back to the point...please lets not convict anyone....there is no physical evidence to condemn anyone, regardless of the circumstantial evidence. We all have our opinions, but its time to let that go and move on with what it is that we really care about...finding caches.

Offically, Team_Epitome blames nobody for this. Obviously, the cache is gone, but we dont know who took it, nor do we care to contemplate it, it just isnt worth the effort.

Team_Epitome (Macro/Team Member) icon_rolleyes.gif

I am sorry to hear about the cache. We almost went looking on Sunday for it for the 2nd time. I would love to see it replaced because it would be great to find such a hard cache. We have been watching the logs for this cache so we observed this little surprise controversy. Don't let the bastards grind you down icon_wink.gif