New variation-is it ok?

Ok, I was having to re-get the coordinates of a cache that was not approved. However someone that just happened to be there (and happened to be a geocacher) pointed out the tendancy of people to cut across areas to get to the cache. The problem comes in when he was showing me the lines of private property that were in the way. I am really concerned about that plus some rocks in the way if you don't follow the path. This is a REALLY nice location and I hid the cache in the only groundcover.

Is is ok if I have an off-set cache (as describe in the FAQ's) only I give the off set directions to prevent someone from unkowingly getting in trouble or getting hurt if I urge them to bring there GPS to re-visit any interesting locations they may find? (If you have any other clever ideas to my problem PLEASE let me know)

Preliminary details at the url below

http://gurlpages.com/goldie_locks3/ahoy2.htm

[This message was edited by Goldie Locks on August 05, 2002 at 11:21 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Goldie Locks:

Ok, I was having to re-get the coordinates of a cache that was not approved. However someone that just happened to be there (and happened to be a geocacher) pointed out the tendancy of people to cut across areas to get to the cache.

I'm sorry - I'm a bit confused here... the cache was not approved, yet you ran into a cacher there AND they told you how people were cutting across areas to get the cache? Eh?

quote:
The problem comes in when he was showing me the lines of private property that were in the way. I am really concerned about that plus some rocks in the way if you don't follow the path.

Well, I think if you include the information in the description, it should be enough to guide the seekers in the right direction. Unless there aren't really any identifying marks for the property boundries.

quote:
Is is ok if I have an off-set cache (as describe in the FAQ's) only I give the off set directions to prevent someone from unkowingly getting in trouble or getting hurt if I urge them to bring there GPS to re-visit any interesting locations they may find?

I suppose that is one way to handle the problem - but if you give offset coordinates, how will the people be able to find your cache? If you give the actual coordinates for the cache, and detailed directions on how to NOT go on private property, I'd think that'd be the best way.

Hard to tell without being able to see the area you are talking about and stuff, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. icon_smile.gif

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

quote:

Ok, I was having to re-get the coordinates of a cache that was not approved. However someone that just happened to be there (and happened to be a geocacher) pointed out the tendancy of people to cut across areas to get to the cache.

I'm sorry - I'm a bit confused here... the cache was not approved, yet you ran into a cacher there AND they told you how people were cutting across areas to get the cache? Eh?

quote:
The problem comes in when he was showing me the lines of private property that were in the way. I am really concerned about that plus some rocks in the way if you don't follow the path.

Well, I think if you include the information in the description, it should be enough to guide the seekers in the right direction. Unless there aren't really any identifying marks for the property boundries.

quote:
Is is ok if I have an off-set cache (as describe in the FAQ's) only I give the off set directions to prevent someone from unkowingly getting in trouble or getting hurt if I urge them to bring there GPS to re-visit any interesting locations they may find?

I suppose that is one way to handle the problem - but if you give offset coordinates, how will the people be able to find your cache? If you give the actual coordinates for the cache, and detailed directions on how to NOT go on private property, I'd think that'd be the best way.

Hard to tell without being able to see the area you are talking about and stuff, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. icon_smile.gif

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

Yes, they wanted me to re-check my coordinates and that is when I ran into the cacher.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I am editing the description now to do that. I am telling them what they will see on the PATH and where to get off the path at. You really can't miss it. I used family to test my directions to make absolutely sure.

I guesss if it would help I can go back AGAIN and take a photo of the cache area to make absolutely sure they can find it.

im not sure what it is you are trying to say about using offset coords? icon_frown.gif

but as pointed, i would make a note that the park has irregular borders and seekers NEED to stay inside the park.

if that wont work then put a waypoint in your description, something like, "to find this cache you need to start here(waypoint one), and travel to this point(waypoint two) before seeking the cache."

ive seen this done on a few caches, generally just giving trail heads and parking lots, but one cache was in a park that was seperated by a creek, and a swampy pond area it flows threw. the waypoint given was the only bridge across the water, and you could not get to the otherside of the park any other way.

whack.gif

im not sure what it is you are trying to say about using offset coords? icon_frown.gif

but as pointed, i would make a note that the park has irregular borders and seekers NEED to stay inside the park.

if that wont work then put a waypoint in your description, something like, "to find this cache you need to start here(waypoint one), and travel to this point(waypoint two) before seeking the cache."

ive seen this done on a few caches, generally just giving trail heads and parking lots, but one cache was in a park that was seperated by a creek, and a swampy pond area it flows threw. the waypoint given was the only bridge across the water, and you could not get to the otherside of the park any other way.

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

That might just work! icon_smile.gif I would need to do that several times because of the countour of the lake. (I am not sure anyone would really want to re-enter the coordinates that many times-but it is a way) 5 or 8 times should just about do it! Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

That might just work! icon_smile.gif I would need to do that several times because of the countour of the lake. (I am not sure anyone would really want to re-enter the coordinates that many times-but it is a way) 5 or 8 times should just about do it! Thank you!

quote:

Is is ok if I have an off-set cache (as describe in the FAQ's) only I give the off set directions to prevent someone from unkowingly getting in trouble or getting hurt...

That seems like a good use for an off-set cache. (The more typical off-set caches I've run into are because satellite reception is poor at the cache location.) But in reading your description, it sounds like there's a trail to near the cache. Why not just highlight in the description that people should stay on the trail to avoid private property? Use bold type and color. That should be sufficient.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

That's exactly why http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12383 is a multi-cache.

BTW - I resemble that avatar. I was beginning to wonder if I had already posted to this thread... icon_wink.gif

10 waypoints!! Too bad there's not a way to download them all. And what's with the 1 1/12 hours? A typo perhaps or do they really mean 65 minutes?

As for the avatar, I've been using it for some time. I noticed you had changed recently and just figured you liked it. It's a cropped version of an image on my profile. Maybe you could reverse your image left-to-right so we look different. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

That's exactly why http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12383 is a multi-cache.

BTW - I resemble that avatar. I was beginning to wonder if I had already posted to this thread... icon_wink.gif

10 waypoints!! Too bad there's not a way to download them all. And what's with the 1 1/12 hours? A typo perhaps or do they really mean 65 minutes?

As for the avatar, I've been using it for some time. I noticed you had changed recently and just figured you liked it. It's a cropped version of an image on my profile. Maybe you could reverse your image left-to-right so we look different. icon_wink.gif