Theme cache ideas

I am going to get off my duff and saturate one of the local State parks with caches.

Since our State recently approved geocaching, I have only replaced one of my State park caches.

I want to place 4-6 caches. I am thinking of placing each cache with a separate theme. The only idea I could come up with that won't cost me an arm and a leg is a library cache. Some of my old books and an Ammo can.

Other ideas I came up with involve a more significant investment. I could afford to fix up some nice caches, but we all know the first rule of geocaching is that no matter how worthless the junk in a geocache; it will be replaced with something of lesser value.

I might do a music cache with CD's or cassettes (does anyone still use cassettes?}

A movie cache with DVD's.

What ideas have you guys got?

I'm sure that there are more than one Button,Button cache. Red Hot Mama placed Montana's button exchange cache and it is cute. I've heard of Keychain and postcard caches as well. And we have one around that is McToys only! Going to MC'Ds tonight to stock up for that one. icon_smile.gif

-Jennifer

According to his or her personal experience, each person must decide by himself or herself where they have been. Always for me the most important thing is not where the others have gone but the experience lived through.-Reinhold Messner

quote:
Originally posted by Northern-Lights:

How about doing a cache with a bunch of pre-made micros inside.... Each finder could claim one and then you may be rewarded with a bunch of new caches to look for too!!

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

A single cache with instructions to several micros? I like that idea.

I have a cache (my first theme cache) called Flat Stuff , where the theme is flat things like Euro decals, bumper stickers, patches, post cards, bumper stickers, trail and road maps, etc... Among the original contents were a Reagan/Bush bumper sticker and several postcards dating back to the early part of this century.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

DVD Exchange Cache

Here is a DVD theme cache. I plan on hitting this one over the weekend.

You could hit WalMart and find a few DVD's in the discount bin for 5-6 bucks each to get started. I am thinking of starting one of these as well. Bought a grab bag of DVD's off Ebay last year, most are silly B movies. Would make good cache material.

Another idea would be a "logo" cache. Fill it with logo items from businesses and ask that cachers trade logo for logo. Would be intersting to see what things you would get in there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36406

Here is a DVD theme cache. I plan on hitting this one over the weekend.

You could hit WalMart and find a few DVD's in the discount bin for 5-6 bucks each to get started. I am thinking of starting one of these as well. Bought a grab bag of DVD's off Ebay last year, most are silly B movies. Would make good cache material.

Another idea would be a "logo" cache. Fill it with logo items from businesses and ask that cachers trade logo for logo. Would be intersting to see what things you would get in there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

I have given this some thought...

Six DVD's @ $6.00, plus the two I have at home that I paid $20.00 apiece for and a log book. I only have $77.00 invested.

The first guy takes a cd and leaves a bumper sticker. The second guy with his three kids takes four CD's and leaves a happy meal toy. The third guy is ****ed because he isn't the first and he takes the rest of the Cd's and the bumper sticker....

Maybe I need a new hobby.

I've been working on a virtual board game as a series of theme caches. Each cache is a 'board space' on the playing area.

It's sort of a twist on CLUE. You have to visit each cache, examine the clues inside (which will be a series of cards that together make up a single deck). After visiting all the caches and collecting all the clues you have to figure out the soultion which will lead you to the final master cache. The catch is if you come to the wrong conclusion you'll be lead to dummy coordinates where no cache exists -- so ultimate victory will be uncertain until achieve it.

The plan is have the entire game made up of a dozen caches placed within a forty mile radius. Definitely not something you could complete in one or two outings.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

I've been working on a virtual board game as a series of theme caches. Each cache is a 'board space' on the playing area.

It's sort of a twist on CLUE. You have to visit each cache, examine the clues inside (which will be a series of cards that together make up a single deck). After visiting all the caches and collecting all the clues you have to figure out the soultion which will lead you to the final master cache. The catch is if you come to the wrong conclusion you'll be lead to dummy coordinates where no cache exists -- so ultimate victory will be uncertain until achieve it.

The plan is have the entire game made up of a dozen caches placed within a forty mile radius. Definitely not something you could complete in one or two outings.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Perhaps a clue that only means something when you have found the right spot. That way when you are at any of the dummy locations you don't spend time looking for something where there is nothing? The alternate I thought of was to place a dummy cache that says "Nope, not Ms. Scarlet with the candlestick" but then that is a lot more work.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

For the DVD cache, simply explain on the site and on the container that you have to trade a dvd for a dvd. Have other cache items for those not prepared to trade a movie.

It is a lot fun. I had a video cache going, but it got plundered. I don't mind too much. It was stocked with movies that we weren't watching much anymore.

I had an idea for a cache that I was going to call “the Joker’s Cache”. Each person finding the cache would leave the punch-line of a joke in the notebook. When logging the cache online, they would post the punch-line to the joke of the finder before them, and then post the beginning part of their own joke. The online cache log would then become a chain of jokes with everybody who was watching the cache, waiting for the punch-line of the last joke to be posted by the next finder.

It seemed like a good idea.....until I realized that most geocachers aren’t very funny..... icon_frown.gif (just kidding - once in awhile someone on these forums will make me laugh icon_biggrin.gif)

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

I am going to get off my duff and saturate one of the local State parks with caches.

I'm with you. We should know something on the state parks issue sometime this month.

We were thinking of doing a BookCrossing.com cache and a CD cache. I like the idea of pre-made micro containers in the cache, as well. Maybe that would encourage more caches in our area? I know it worked for us. We plan to use a micro container that we found in a cache last week (thanks, Mustard Devil!) to place a cache hopefully this week!

A CD cache is a good idea, but even those degrade. You can seed it with some decent, contemporary CD's and some classics, but pretty soon it's filled with stuff like Milli Vanilli Live at Madison Square Garden, William Shatner Sings Gershwin, Bo Donaldson and the Heywood's Greatest Hits and The Best of REO Spedwagon.

quote:
quote: BrianSnat

Bo Donaldson and the Heywood's Greatest Hits

The name didn't ring a bell so I googled it.

ARGGGHH!!!

It scares me that you knew it though.

Of course you remember their smash hit, "Billy Don't Be A Hero". And my apologies to all that do remember the song and will have it going through their heads the rest of the day because I mentioned it.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on June 06, 2003 at 04:26 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

A CD cache is a good idea, but even those degrade. You can seed it with some decent, contemporary CD's and some classics, but pretty soon it's filled with stuff like Milli Vanilli Live at Madison Square Garden, William Shatner Sings Gershwin, Bo Donaldson and the Heywood's Greatest Hits and The Best of REO Spedwagon.

Hey, now! Wait a minute! I'd take REO and Shatner out of a CD cache! REO because I actually like them and Shatner because, well..., because... ummmmm....

THE HUMOR!!! That's it! Nothing like a little Shatner singing, "Tambourine Man" to put me in a good mood... icon_wink.gif

O.K. Here's a funny one that I will be doing eventually, but anyone else, not in Houston, can feel free to borrow it:

I'm a big Gallagher fan and I am planning a cache filled with sporks (spoon-forks) and some of his material. Anyone who is a fan of Gallagher knows what I'm talking about. It's Gallagher's term for an oxymoron.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Gallagher will be in Albuquerque later this month. I'm going.

When? I might be passin through then. I have a sister in Santa Fe that I visit and wants to get into geocaching. Her geocaching handle is JusMeLP.

I have been to 5 Gallagher shows and every one has been completely different from the last. Don't miss it.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

i like that idea about themed caches...

i have found a geocache that had a "for men things" theme...didnt trade nothing since i had nothing to fit the theme but signed the logbook...

i dont have a gps unit...i have planted a letterbox with a theme....bookmarks...i made a bunch of bookmarks...and put them in the box and whoever comes can bring one they made with rubberstamps, stickers, or store bought....or just come by and stamp in the log book if they dont have/want to do the bookmark thing...

my letterbox is only one of the two planted in san antonio area...not many letterboxers in this town...

letterboxes have a handcarved stamp (usually) and a logbook....you bring an inkpad/marker and your own stamp...ink up your stamp..stamp in their logbook....ink up their stamp and stamp in your logbook...clean off their stamp and package it alll back up and put it back in the container and hide it.....they dont have anything to trade in letterboxes UNLESS they choose to and announce it..the rubberstamps and occasional ink pads and log books stay in the box..not to be traded..

so if you do rubberstamping, scrapbooking or work with stickers...you could make up some bookmarks (2 1/2 x 6 1/2), or trading cards (2 1/2 x 3 1/2) or full size cards...done up on cardstock....

just an idea of things.......

wanda texas

A cache for 'men things' would have to be a rather large cache. I mean, how can you fit a Makita 18v cordless drill and a miter saw in a 5.56mm ammo can? Geez, then we get into the whole rolling Craftsman tool cart with the air tools and compressor. Oh, and don't forget the <insert high RPM tool of choice>.

icon_biggrin.gif

Personally, I'd love to find an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard and 512MB of Corsair PC2700 DDR in a cache nearby, but that's just me.

Brian

Team A.I.

I started one a few weeks ago that might be fun. I call it Lon Chaney, I hase a disposable camera in it and a selection of goofy glasses, Beads and other items from a joke shop. The way it works, when some one finds the cache they can put some of the props on and take a photo of them selves. My plan is to post the photos when the camera is full.

quote:
William Shatner Sings Gershwin

LOL. I hope that one's not real.

We just visited a cache with a foreign currency theme. Couldn't help but notice that some of the "foreign" currency were quarters from the various states icon_smile.gif

I like caches with a fictional narrative that encourage people to follow suit. We just placed one and the response has been hilarious so far.

<timpaula>

quote:

How about doing a cache with a bunch of pre-made micros inside.... Each finder could claim one and then you may be rewarded with a bunch of new caches to look for too!!

Tried this with a cache placed recently and it would not be allowed as the micros get placed in illegal places. Those who control the approval process were very picky with me. I couldn't even convert the travellers to hitchhikers to move from cache to cache.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

quote:

Tried this with a cache placed recently and it would not be allowed as the micros get placed in illegal places. Those who control the approval process were very picky with me. I couldn't even convert the travellers to hitchhikers to move from cache to cache.

I don't understand. Am I being thick or what? Surely you only wanted to give away something like a bunch of film cans with a log sheet or what ever inside. They would still need to be approved on a one at a time basis..... Or have I got this wrong? I can't see why it was not approved!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

quote:
Originally posted by Bug and Snake:

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

quote:

How about doing a cache with a bunch of pre-made micros inside....

Tried this with a cache placed recently and it would not be allowed as the micros get placed in illegal places.

I don't understand. Am I being thick or what? Surely you only wanted to give away something like a bunch of film cans with a log sheet or what ever inside. They would still need to be approved on a one at a time basis..... Or have I got this wrong?

Can't speak for bigredmed, but that's exactly what I was thinking about. Just a bunch of micros made up (say, 35mm film canisters) with a log book and pencil inside. Finders would be on their own, as far as hiding and getting approval. This would just save them the trouble of assembling the actual cache.

Of course, as Northern-Lights said, the main benefit would be that it might nudge someone to place a new micro (or micros) in our area!

I'm sure the cache would eventually evolve to the point of being filled with other items, but these "micro kits" would be cheap enough that we could restock the cache frequently. Plus, assembly would be a snap, since we'd be doing several at once..... Hmmmm.... I think I've talked myself into it!

Book themes are cool! I like books! But they can be made one better if you regsiter and label all the books at bookcrossing.com, and then it's like your cache is full of quasi-travel bugs. I'll always pick up a bookcrossing book if I see one.

-shilfiell

"I'm too old to be doing this" - me to nobody, from too high up in a pine tree.

quote:

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

We've got exactly that here in Simi Valley, CA. Cache N' Babies Pic

One of our local legends, Team Dakiba, put it out. For some of their more notable handiwork, check out: TRIGGER or TRUE GRIT. Simple and yet brilliant urban micros.

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

quote:
Originally posted by Shilfiell:

Book themes are cool! I like books! But they can be made one better if you regsiter and label all the books at bookcrossing.com, and then it's like your cache is full of quasi-travel bugs. I'll always pick up a bookcrossing book if I see one.

-shilfiell

"I'm too old to be doing this" - me to nobody, from too high up in a pine tree.

Hey, it's good to know that some people will take those! I went hunting Sunday and left books in two of the boxes, hoping it would get more traffic to the book crossing site!

I do like y'all's ideas of a bookcrossing cache, though.. I am planning on making a couple different ones, and I haven't been sure about what to put in them... I like that Idea!

A friend of mine went to an all CD cache... Didn't matter what kind of CD - software, music, dvd, etc - but it had to be store bought (not burned at home). It was kinda cool, cause he was talking about it and we found the CD that he had gotten from the box in a different cache from where he left it while we were out.

You could do one candles or something like that.. That's certainly cheap enough, especially if you find a dollar store with a clearance sale!

How about doing some sort of television theme? Anime is huge right now, I'm sure you could do something like that.

Besides, if you make sure to post the theme when you register the cache, then people will make sure they have something for it.

Although, here's a good idea... I went to a canine cache on Sunday, and the woman that made it put 1/2 themed and 1/2 not themed stuff in the box so if someone didn't have a themed piece they could trade for something not themed.

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

Here is a DVD theme cache.

>> The Logo idea is in play here in Omaha and is going well. The thing started off with a requirement to trade pretty expensive logo items. That part died, the cache has morphed into more normal logo material and has been successful.

>>The Waltrash idea is a bad one. If the DVD's are junk, then are you not just plumbing a new vein of geotrash?