Which CamelBak do you prefer?

Team Shuey

In the Military, and Law Enforcement styles that CamelBak makes, which style does most geocachers prefer?

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

QUOTE:

To be happy with a man you must understand

him a lot, but love him a little!

To be happy with a woman you must love her

a lot, but try NOT to understand her at all!

I vote for the TransAlp its the one I recently purchased and I love it. I use it for caching and its packed to the gills. I also have a mule which I use for Mt. Biking so thats what I voted for since the TransAlpis not listed.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I find that the Camlbak bladder imparts a plastic taste to the water. I've discarded all my Camlbak bladders and now use the Platypus bladders. I purchased several shapes and sizes. One to fit in my fanny pack, another to fit the hydration sleeve of my daypack and another that fits in the water bottle holder of my big backpack.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

I just dropped $110 for a motherload at the BX. I filled it with water and it leaks from the quick disconnect fitting at the bottom of the bag. Camelbak's customer service is crap, they're giving me a run-around, takes them days to respond to an email, and are generally unsupportive of their product. I love the pack but the company needs to do some work on their customer service. It might help if someone explained the term to them.

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I bought a non-military camelpak back in 1999 at a cycling shop (iirc it was called Zarathustra's Spokes). I've had great luck with it, but from what I've read recently, perhaps it really is luck.

I've never had leak problems, and compared to what the tap water tastes like here, the filtered water I fill the camelpak with tastes exceptional icon_smile.gif espescially when I have a throatfull of dust and sage.

snazzsig.jpg

I got the military M.U.L.E. in desert camo. I am quite happy with it. I have had it about 45 days now, and been out on 4 outings. It is quite sturdy, although a bit heavier than the sport models. I have never had a problem with any of the several camelbak products in the family.

The one thing I really like about it is the ability to carry 2 bladders. One for me, and one for my doggie. He weighs 170 lbs, and he does use up the water. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Camelbaks came out for Mountain bikers in the mid ninty's and I've been using various models since then. I've had very little problem with 7 different bags of different size. Never had a bladder leak. I've watched the bladders change and bite valves evolve and the different styles come out.

I know lots of guys and gals (40-50) who I ride bike with and almost all of them have some version of the Camelbak (with a few clones) and the Camelbaks are the industry standard. I've had friends crash on them. I've tried to duck under limbs going 20mph and had a limb snag them and rip me off my bike. I've abused them and they still work.

But for geocaching, I place a bladder in my favorite day hike pack and go with that. I like a really big waste strap, even with a small pack, and I haven't seen a camelbak with one of those.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

REI has a version of the Rim Runner that differs from CamelBak's site description, but is still the same $85. It has 1728CU of Cargo space WITH a full 100oz bladder in, and most importantly, instead of the 70oz bladder that is advertised on CamelBak's site, is has a 100oz Omega Bladder in it. You can see this version of the Rim Runner on REI's site (www.rei.com). I love mine, not too large for a small daypack and definately not too small.

Doug

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I find that the Camlbak bladder imparts a plastic taste to the water

This from someone that has "Got any chew" as their personal quote! icon_razz.gif Plus, I don't want to end up looking like your avatar. I don't know if that has anything to do with Platypus bladders but I don't want to take the risk...

--Marky

quote:
quote:Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I find that the Camlbak bladder imparts a plastic taste to the water

quote:Originally posted by Marky:

This from someone that has "Got any chew" as their personal quote! razz Plus, I don't want to end up looking like your avatar. I don't know if that has anything to do with Platypus bladders but I don't want to take the risk...

The hose from the bladder fits very nicely between the gap in my teeth. I do have a bit of trouble with the bite valve however...my teeth keep snapping off whenever I need a drink.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

I use a 4 yr old MULE (it's smaller than the new ones) for mt biking and a Rim Runner for hiking. The MULE has enough room for a little tool kit, a spare tire and a energy bar. The RR is great 'cause there's plenty of room for the 1st aid kit, snacks, jacket, gps, geostash. maps, etc, etc...

The new commercial MULE's are nice. Karen has one and she's pretty happy with it.

Tim

Team CSquared

Tucson, AZ

Csquared - Tim & Karen

quote:
Originally posted by Ltljon:

Geez...Whatever happened to sticking a couple of 20oz Pepsi bottles filled from the house spigot in your backpak?

I guess a poor man has poor ways...

Go figure.

Having to stop to take them out gives me a moment to rest also.

BTW, I freeze them first, then pack them close to my back in my day pack. Keeps me cool and they stay cold all day.

quote:
Originally posted by Ltljon:

Geez...Whatever happened to sticking a couple of 20oz Pepsi bottles filled from the house spigot in your backpak?

I guess a poor man has poor ways...

It is largely due to a strange societal phenomenon that seems to dictate that you are a nobody if you aren't constantly imbibing something. I remember a time when people didn't seem to fear a sudden bout with life-threatening dehydration over the effort of walking to their driveway and driving around and doing errands. Now, people seem to fearfully clutch water bottles as if society is in danger of collapsing any minute and the 20 ozs of Gatorage will stave off death just a little longer. Starbucks is better because, if still hot, it can be poured from the height of your SUV onto the barbarian pedestrians below like the good ol' days.

I live in Texas. Other than doing something like rock climbing in the summer, I don't seem to require that much liquid in arm's length.

I saw someone mentioning a "waste" strap above and before I realized it was a simple misspelling, an image flashed in my mind of those desert suits in Dune and thought this might be the next step. I'm sure Camelbak will have the this feature added in their new models for $250. icon_rolleyes.gif Until then, I suppose we could just wear diapers so the liquid can flow from the camelbaks, through our bodies, and then into the diaper so we don't have to stop.

quote:
I live in Texas. Other than doing something like rock climbing in the summer, I don't seem to require that much liquid in arm's length.

I can go through 4 liters of water while taking a strenuous 6 or 7 mile hike on a humid, 95 degree day. I find the Platypus bladders to be very convenient, because I don't have to take off my pack and dig through it every time I need a drink. They can be filled with ice (or frozen), so you have cold water all trip. They also come in handy while biking. Ya don't have to stop just to get a drink.

I'm not one of those people who walks around everywhere carrying an Avian bottle, but its a fact that many people are underhydrated when involved in strenuous activities. When you actually feel thirsty, it means you are already dehydrated. The Platyus, Camelbak and similar

systems are just a convenient way to get a drink. Kind of like carrying around your own water fountain.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:

I can go through 4 liters of water while taking a strenuous 6 or 7 mile hike on a humid, 95 degree day. I find the Platypus bladders to be very convenient, because I don't have to take off my pack and dig through it every time I need a drink. They can be filled with ice (or frozen), so you have cold water all trip. They also come in handy while biking. Ya don't have to stop just to get a drink.

I'm not one of those people who walks around everywhere carrying an Avian bottle, but its a fact that many people are underhydrated when involved in strenuous activities. When you actually feel thirsty, it means you are already dehydrated. The Platyus, Camelbak and similar

systems are just a convenient way to get a drink. Kind of like carrying around your own water fountain.

Regarding feeling thirsty, you might be right. Seems like a natural thing, though: feel thirsty, drink. As long as you have proper minerals, it probably can't hurt to be over-hydrated compared to under-hydrated (though, somewhere in there, it has to be based on someone's opinion on what is "hydrated.") I know of two cases of people who have DIED as a result of drinking too much water - no joke. Not that I'm worried about it, but it shows that anything can be harmful.

Don't take my cynical rantings too seriously - I didn't want to sound too critical. I just have fun spouting off about certain trends I notice. Back when containers were mostly glass, people seemed content to do without a drink in their hand all the time. It just wasn't practical. Now, they design cars with holders for them. I don't think biology has changed. Or, maybe they were just underhydrated and didn't know it.

Don't get me wrong, if I was planning on hiking 6 or 7 miles, and it was a recurring event, I too would be looking to buy one of these devices. It is good to know - I didn't know about these things. I kinda wish I had a trip planned so I could have an excuse to buy one. I kinda like that trick of freezing it to kill two bird with one stone (keeping yourself cool and the water cold) But the only outdoors stuff I've had time for lately is a 4 mile bike ride in a park nearby.

I am an avid Off-Road Motorcyclist, among other things, I enjoy hiking, camping and fishing, anyway. I purchased a camelbak for my longer rides in the woods some time ago, and recently disposed of the unit (burned it) when I discovered that the organization allegedly supports certain groups (they know who they are) that are attempting to close off our places to ride. Many woods riders for a long time have endorsed their product by wearing them (which is why I originally bought one) Upon interview by an editor of one of magazines focusing on our sport, they were told by camelbak basically that they wouldn't advertise in, or have anything to do with the off-road crew. This answer came AFTER a long wait for such, as the same magazine was doing a review on their product. Once the favorable review was left, then comes the reply. Also when the company rep was confronted about advertising in publications distributed by organizations trying to shut down "ORV's" (or off-road vehicle parks) they basically said that the ad contract was up "sometime that year" well, long after the contract was supposed to have expired, their ad still runs. I say too many descrepancies. I personally choose to no longer support CamelBak for this reason. I refuse to financially support a company that is trying to stop my reason for using their product (after I bought it) Anyway, just a tidbit for ya.

On another note, a lil history for those that have never ridden, but something that has been quite popular is a "poker run" where basically a flag or some other object is hidden in the woods, and everyone goes out on their bikes, and collects as many flags, or objects in a set period of time, who ever has biggest collection at the end wins. So, a type of geo-caching in a sense. I know I've seen some BEAUTIFUL places that are virtually unharmed (through responsible riding) that would be GREAT places for a cache. Unfortunately, that was before I got my GPS, now if I could only remember where I broke that last clutch lever icon_confused.gif

Here's the link to the confusion: http://www.off-road.com/dunes/speak/speak042001.html

Just in!! I have confirmation that Camelbak ads have been sited in some of the more recent off-road mags, and is sponsoring a KTM (bike manufacturer)rider in a race. While a step in the right direction, after reading the above link months ago, I still don't think I'll be buying another CamelBak, trust is a great thing before you've lost it.

[This message was edited by Mr502go on October 31, 2002 at 05:23 PM.]

I have the CamelBak Blowfish. It easily fits a long pair of pants, bag of trade goods and a video camera along with the 100 Oz of water.

Here is the Smokey the Bear Travel bug hanging out in the pocket.

72508_500.JPG

I got mine at www.jensonusa.com their prices on the Camelbaks are the best I have found yet aside from eBay. I had planned to pay about $90 for the one I wanted but since it was only $59 on their site I was able to get it and a M.U.L.E. for Christine for only $57.

Her bladder leaked the first time we filled it, but it didn’t the second time we used it. Strange but we aren’t complaining. We also don’t have any problems with the taste either, we clean the out with soap and water every now and then and we keep the bladders in the freezer at home.

Mule

20_1124.jpg

Blowfish

20_1125B.jpg

As I said earlier, I use the CamelBak Rim Runner that REI sells that has 1728CU of Storage Space with the 100oz Bladder in it and a 100oz Omega Bladder that comes with it (This differs from the one on CamelBak's Site). umc up there still swears that the Rim Runner can't really hold anything. Well, Here is a picture of everything that fits nicely into my Rim Runner (With extra room for Food), also note that I also carry my GPS, Climbing Harness, Biners INSIDE the Pack with all of this stuff PLUS a length of rope strapped to the back of it (All this not shown in the picture). And it all fits nicely in there. This is an excellent pack that I've never had a single problem with, and you can't beat the $85 price tag.

backpack-contents.jpg

Doug