I NEED MAPSEND TOPO OR STREETS....... IN PHOENIX

quote:
Originally posted by jimmynholly7677:

I NEED IT BAD IF SOMEONE HAS IT AND IS WILLING TO GIVE IT UP FOR A MODEST PRICE LET ME KNOW

ILL EVEN TAKE A COPY

Ignorance is no excuse!!!! Your never lost your always right there.... Its never tomorow its always today...

Selling or even giving you a COPY is also known around here as stealing. I'm sure you made a mistake or typo, and didn't just post here that you are looking for illegal software.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

How exactly is selling software you own to someone else. or even giving it to them stealing??????? As long as your arent making copies of the original, you can dance around it naked in your front yard if you want to.

mopad, i live in plainfield and work in the south plainfield high school, and i just want to say that your comments regarding selling or borrowing a copy of a software are way out of line and is none of your business.... Live and let live... In no way, shape or form is someone asking for a copy of a program going to affect your everyday life..so relax and as long as you are not involved, let everyone else deal with their business... and by the way do you have any topographical software for new jersey that i can borrow or buy off of you? email me and let me know, who knows, we might become good friends and go hunting for caches together since we live close by. I am so new at this that maybe we can get together and you can show me a few things about geocaching.. what do you think?

Actually, pirating software leads to higher prices so HONEST people cannot afford to purchase them. It also hurts the profits of the companies that spend LARGE amounts of time developing them. Some of these companies are not huge corporations and if they can't afford to compete, they close. That severely hurts innovation.

All that is left is the huge companies charging higher and higher prices for crappy software.

I know you said asking for a copy, which some people may not view as pirating - but if you give away enough free copies you are hurting the companies that develop this software.

southdeltan

Software companies already charge ridiculous prices. Its not uncommon for people in business to pay well over a thousand dollars for software that fits on a floppy. They charge whatever they can wring out of you, and they'll keep doing it as long as they can. If you're going to find a cause to save, choose whales or something. Leave everyone else who seeks an alternative to paying insane prices alone. You really think it costs Garmin over ten bucks to send you that cd you just paid $150.00 for? Sorry.

Who said I was trying to "save a cause" ? If anything I'm trying to save money for myself. You can attempt to justify it however you want to - it is still stealing.

The actual process of "making" the cd doesn't cost much at all. Developing the software and advertising it does. Of course it costs pennies for them to buy and burn CDs, but it costs much more for them to actually develop the software to begin with. Do they make a aim to make a profit? Of course.

One of the additional reasons things cost more is the markup that they place on the software to combat piracy. I thank people who pirate software and music for the $20 cost of cd's that cost $12 dollars just a few years ago. (Of course inflation and other things come into play, but the largest reason is piracy).

Piracy hurts the smaller companies and the honest consumer the most.

southdeltan

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by jimmynholly7677:

ILL EVEN TAKE A COPY

Selling or even giving you a COPY is also known around here as stealing. I'm sure you made a mistake or typo, and didn't just post here that you are looking for illegal software.

Wow Mopar old buddy, did you ever step off into this one!!! Don't you know in this age of moral relativism that there is NO right or wrong, nothing is just a black and white issue anymore, only shades of gray??? C'mon, these fellas have a RIGHT to steal, er, copy, the intellectual property of others because they NEED the various software, can't you see that? How closed minded must you be to see that if a piece of software is so small that it fits on a floppy that it must have next to NO value whatsoever, even though it "technically" belongs to someone else and there are those pesky "pirating" laws and all that? Why must you automatically condemn others when they are just trying to get the best software out there by nefarious means? I mean, it's not like they raped someone and then used the excuse "She was dressed sexily so she was asking for it", right? Oh, wait, that is a bad example... how about, "I stole that dude's car because I NEEDED a ride"? Hmmmmm, that doesn't work either, okay, how about, "I stole the CD from the music store because the artists are getting paid TOO MUCH money for their songs", hmmmm, no good either.

Okay, so I can't come up with a good example of why their making copies of software for OTHERS, not for their own personal use, is completely justified, but, then again, I'm not a moral relativist. To me, theft is theft, even if you feel you have a "good" reason. Stealing is stealing, regardless of your motivation, its just a matter of degree. This type of theft is just done at such a level of anonymity that is becomes "acceptable" to a certain portion of the population. I'm not in that portion, but hey, who are we to condemn others as thieves, er, hmmmm, kinda harsh there, let's say, persons of questionable morals, how's that?

Nah, they're thieves. Squawk all you want, justifiy it any way you want, jump up an down and flame away, but you are stealing from others, just accept it and be honest about it, or keep trying to fool yourself that you are doing something noble by fighting the "big corporations". What a farce. And one of you said you work at a High School? Great, just whate we need our kids exposed to, the great lesson of moral relativism.

Sorry, but if you can't afford what they are selling, then either do without or save up your money and BUY IT!

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Khlash:

How exactly is selling software you own to someone else. or even giving it to them stealing??????? As long as your arent making copies of the original, you can dance around it naked in your front yard if you want to.

Selling the original disks are no problem, and I thought I made it pretty clear the only part of the initial post I have issues with is "ILL EVEN TAKE A COPY".

I will even step out a limb here myself and say I have a bigger problem with posting the request here then I do with the actual act. That's because the way some of the new internet copyright protection laws are written, some judges could consider Groundspeak/geocaching.com partially liable, just for hosting such a request. Now I surely don't believe that's fair, or right, but that's the way the current laws are written. If gc.com gets tangled up in legal BS because some idiot posts a request for warez, it effects me, and every other geocacher that uses this site.

For those that posted stuff like "what's it cost to make a CD? The stuff is overpriced", you need to learn about the way software works, especially mapping software. Someone had to make all those maps, and digitize them. Think that's easy? Start from scratch and make a map of your town. Multiply those hrs you spend by the amount per hour you make now. And that's just one town. That someone then sold that data to the GPS manufacturers, hopefully making more then they spent creating it.

GPS manufacturers create your mapping software from that data. They need to pay their employees and costs, AND the guy they bought the map data from. Then devide all those costs by the fairly small number of copies they expect to sell.

You don't mind paying $45 for Grand Theft Auto on your playstation, that sells millions of copies, yet you ***** about $100 for mapping software that costs 10x's the amount to develop, and maybe only sells a few 100,000 copies

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
renam said:

mopad, i live in plainfield and work in the south plainfield high school, and i just want to say that your comments regarding selling or borrowing a copy of a software are way out of line and is none of your business....

I sure hope the job you have doesn’t involve educating children. I’d hate to see someone so lacking in decency or morals having anything to do with educating our youngsters. The stupidity of coming out and saying you have a problem with people who challange those who are breaking the rules and laws of civilized society. Gee, how dare someone feel that all members of a society have some obligation to help make it work. People like you make me sick. Not only are you lacking in morals and values to think the theft is okay, the fact that you attack others who do have a little decency is disgusting. Personally, I hate seeing people like you involved in geocaching, or anything else for that matter. I can’t imagine you’ll exchange fairly, and most likely if you do decide to place a cache you’ll just pilfer it from someplace else. I would think it likely you also steal stuff from the school you work at, shoplift, borrow cars off street corners etc.

quote:

Actually you don't own the software, you paid for a license to use it. If you transfer the original media and license to someone else you should be ok. But you really don't have a right to sell what you don't own. As for giving it away, there have been several different legal opinions on that.

I am not making a judgment about you or the original poster, just clearing up your question.

I do agree with Mopar, in that the forums on GC are not the place to make these offers and connections.

Now about being naked in your front yard.... on that I have nothing to offer icon_biggrin.gif

Making an Illegal copy of software and giving or selling it to someone else, is against the law. Whether or not you think it is ok, isn't really the main point here. Asking somebody in a public forum to help you break the law, is. It's just stupid, and it shows a complete lack of respect for the people that own, run, or use this web site, that I enjoy. So how about plotting your criminal activities, (big or small) somewhere else.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:

Software companies already charge ridiculous prices. Its not uncommon for people in business to pay well over a thousand dollars for software that fits on a floppy. They charge whatever they can wring out of you, and they'll keep doing it as long as they can. If you're going to find a cause to save, choose whales or something. Leave everyone else who seeks an alternative to paying insane prices alone. You really think it costs Garmin over ten bucks to send you that cd you just paid $150.00 for? Sorry.

Actually, the answer is YES!! Do you think the people who write the software work for free? I've been a software developer for 16 years and the prices my company charges for software included R&D costs as well as salaries. Tell you what, if you think that $150 or whatever it is you pay for software is too much, write it yourself. At a modest $25/hr, you lose if it takes you more than 6 hours. Good luck and let me know when your own version of GPS software is available. I'll also buy it for $10.