Caches in/near Caves

Guest Dave Adams

Guest Dave Adams

I've noticed that a few GeoCaches are being placed in or near US caves. You should be aware that the locations of certain caves are considered sensitive information by those who visit, study and otherwise protect them.

If you plan on visiting caves in the US, you should learn to do it safely. One way is to try to hook up with a local grotto (caving club) through the National Speleological Society at http://www.caves.org . Minimum equipment is considered to be:

* hard hat with helment-mounted light

* three sources of light, each one should provide sufficient light to exit the cave, i.e. main light, first backup light, second backup light

* kneepads and coveralls are also usually worn

Learn the dangers of caving and how to deal with them. The NSS's publication American Caving Accidents is full of reports of individuals who grab the flashlight out of the glove compartment or the Coleman lantern out of the trunk (and a six-pack of beer), go caving and end up having to be rescued. One website containing hints on caving safely is http://userweb.piasanet.com/wigger/cavesafety.html .

Happy hunting!

------------------

dadams@caves.org

http://www.caves.org/member/dadams

Guest makaio

I couldn't agree more! I used to belong to a caving group (wasn't a grotto as we didn't belong to the NSS) when I lived back east. Some of us learned the hard way how dangerous caves can be.

One outing of 4 people, produced 3 failed carbide (yeah, I'm old) lanterns. As it was too difficult to attempt to move 4 people with one lantern, we had to leave 2 there while myself and another made our way out.

Imagine sitting hundreds of feet below the earths surface in pitch black darkness, on damp cold mud, with nothing but the sound of dripping water and your own heartbeat, wondering if/when anyone is going to show up to lead you out. Not a pleasant experience.

We had planned on recruiting local park rangers for assistance but were lucky to meet another group on their way in as we reached the mouth. We explained where our friends were and they brought them flashlights to guide themselves out with.

Never, ever enter a cave without sufficient equipment. And always have multiple backup light sources. I haven't been speelunking in years, but I'll never go in again without backup helmet mounted lights, at least one flashlight, backup batteries, and even a few candles - the trick kind that don't blow out easily (yes, Virginia, there is wind in caves).

Take only memories. Leave only footprints.

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 18 May 2001).]