[IMG] Tags removed from signature lines

iryshe

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Yeah, because most of your 1300+ posts have been meaningless, right? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

(It's not an attack, smileys denote humor, CO admin icon_wink.gif)

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

Exactly...I think...lol

It doesn't matter if you have 1300 meaningless posts or 13. They all are still meaningless!

Brian

www.woodsters.com

My Stats

Found: 70

Hidden: 2

I have tried to keep up with all the posts on this thread. Maybe I missed something. I have noticed photos have been replaced with a link on cache pages. I did read that background sounds have been replaed with a link. And Woodsters is having trouble posting a new topic.

Is there any reason I can't upload a new image to Groundspeak?

bad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:

And 1 in 15 men are too. LOL At least at GC.com headquarters it seems like it.

More like 95% of the people posting here...

I've never heard more pissing & moaning about something so insignificant as having pictures in a sig. You'd have thought Jeremy told everyone that they had to buy their cache containers from Groundspeak and that you had to pay a $5.00 application fee for each one you wanted to hide.

Sheesh, people...It's Jeremy's site and if he wants to eliminate the img's from sigs, then that is his right and he's under no oblication to provide an explanation.

Don't like it? Make your own caching site. It is a free country.

Get over it, folks.

Morgan

TeamTJ

quote:
Originally posted by synergicity:

(betting that those complaining about losing their sig images have never used lynx to browse or vi to compose web pages and appreciated the leanness and efficiency)

I must've missed this the first time I read it.

I've been one of the more vocal opponents of .sig images being stripped and I routinely use lynx (links actually - I find it to be a better browser) and use vim almost exclusively for editing HTML, perl and PHP.

So what did I win, since you lost the bet? icon_biggrin.gif

--

Pehmva!

[sTATS IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

Random quote:

[RANDOM QUOTE IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

quote:
Originally posted by TeamTJ:

Sheesh, people...It's Jeremy's site and if he wants to eliminate the img's from sigs, then that is his right and he's under no oblication to provide an explanation.

No, that is the wrong approach. If you are a paying member, keep matters like this in mind when it comes time to renew. Don't place new caches. Retire your old ones. Vote with your wallet and your contributions to the website; if you are satisfied, send in your money and submit those caches. If not, don't. Ditto if you are considering becoming a member.

Act similarly when considering making purchases from the Groundspeak store.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Personally I would rather base my thoughts on anothers opinion on the number of finds they have and not be swayed with how long they have been a member or how many times they have posted. As those numbers don't mean squat.

Interesting. Personally, I'd rather base my thoughts on another's opinions on the merits of their arguement. Ultimately, that's the only thing that "means squat"

quote:
Originally posted by Cupajo:

Interesting. Personally, I'd rather base my thoughts on another's opinions on the merits of their arguement. Ultimately, that's the only thing that "means squat"

If neither the person offering the opinion nor the person considering it has demonstrated significant knowledge of and experience in whatever it is they are discussing, the situation is nothing but a "BS session." Personally, I wouldn't waste the time considering the opinion of either.

I'm not going to bother to read this entire thread. I've been gone for a few days and can't believe that this has 5 pages of responses.

My two cents:

So what?

Were some of the pictures neat? Yes.

Were some obnoxious? Yes.

Do I care that they are gone? No.

Does it bother me or lessen my opinion of GC or Jeremy? No.

'Nuff said.

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

Sorry you were affected. Hope it doesn't change your opinion of the site.

No more than everything else that has happened in the last few months.

It's frustrating, as it seems the wants of (paying) members are being ignored. I've seen post after post asking for a replacement for Dan's Stats site. One comes up and needs some advertising to get started. The ads are quickly banned. It would be much easier if stats were hosted here or TPTB would release/license stats data to that site.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

quote:

Does it bother me or lessen my opinion of GC or Jeremy? No.

Remind us of the reasons given for the removal of the images and see if it has the 'ring' of truth to it. (I don't believe it does. I believe thread participants quickly rooted out the sole reason for the elimination of the image tags.) I've never used a signature line, so I couldn't care less if they were eliminated all together; I do care about truthfulness and heavy-handedness.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 14, 2003 at 04:26 AM.]

quote:

yeah I meant that too, but I referring to what happens sometimes on here. People will look at the numbers at the bottom near the signature and make judgements from there. I would rather make my assumptions or judgements more from those who have more hands on experience. AS you stated, as well, the basis of the argument also comes into play in that.

Edit: for example: Let's say I get ill and have to have surgery. There are 2 surgeons that I can choose from. One has been a surgeon since September 2001 and has operated on 20 people and has written a book. The second one has been a surgeon since May 2003 and has operated on a 100 people. Now which one would I choose to operate on me? The one that's been around longer and has operated less or the one that was here the least amount of time and has operated more? I would chose the doctor with the more experience.

I know, it was probably a bad analogy, but was one I quickly thought of.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

My Stats

quote:
Originally posted by TeamTJ:

Yeah, I guess that's the answer to everything, "love it or leave it."

Yep, J can do what he wants with the site. But one little thing you forgot. There is a forum here to talk about geocaching. GC.com is part of geocaching, Jeremy did something with this site and I'm ticked off about it. I'm free to voice my displeasure over this one of many changes, so don't think you can shut me up.

No matter what happens at this site there will be people like you still saying the same thing, "It's his site. This isn't worth getting worked up over. Love it or leave it." Hell, he could double the membership fees and require membership to play and there will still be people saying the same thing, "love it or leave it. It's a free country. Make your own."

CR

LOL!

How's this for something to howl about? It seems my signature has mysteriously disappeared! I wonder why? Could it be because of this?

72057_3900.gif

From past experience I knew it wouldn't last. I did it to prove a point. This forum isn't about community, it's about what is good for Groundspeak and Groundspeak only. It's not about what is good for geocaching in general, otherwise other sites would be welcome.

No, I think this presents a better case for the arguement that this recent move wasn't about bandwidth and people complaining, but about trying to deny the existence of other sites. That signature line above didn't have any graphics, so it didn't strain bandwidth, it wasn't distracting, it wasn't large (remember the 4 line guideline?). It's not about any of the above. It's about trying to monopolize the game and do what right for Groundspeak, and to hell with the rest.

CR

PS: I just wonder how long this post will last and if it will be denied as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

No matter what happens at this site there will be people like you still saying the same thing, "It's his site. This isn't worth getting worked up over. Love it or leave it." Hell, he could double the membership fees and _require_ membership to play and there will still be people saying the same thing, "love it or leave it. It's a free country. Make your own."

CR

That is true. There is a camping forum/website that was once all free. They even had a magazine that they published that you could buy. Then one day, the owner decided to start charging to use the messageboard, at I think the price was $30 a year or something like that. You would think that you would get a subscription to the magazine with it, but no that was an additional price too. The only thing that I remember that anyone got was a discount on their store items. Yeah they had a online store too. They had over 5000 members before this happened. Then when they went to do that, I would say roughly more than 75% of the people left and didn't join. Other sites popped up that were free then and the people migrated. The other site still had it's faithful followers and said it was the best site and no other site could compare to it. But, I beg to differ. I am a friend of one of the people who started one of the other sites and most of the people on the other site came there. Even the faithful people to the original site, stopped by this new site. Most of their friends were gone and missed chatting with them. And by the way, the newer site looks and functions a lot better than the other one.

I think the thing is, that it needs to be decided up front if the site is going to be handled as a business or a hobby. There's nothing wrong with either one. But the steps you take in running it will differ. As a hobby you can do what you please and not worry about anything. As a business, your future relies on the judgements you make everyday. A business owner can make their own decisions as they want, but the prosperity will come from working for the people. And it does go both ways. You can't please everyone, but you wanna try to please the majority and especially all those that put the food on the table every night.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

My Stats

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

... Don't place new caches. Retire your old ones.

I agree that we should practice our right to civil disobedience when we feel compelled to, but I'd also just like to note that not placing new caches and retiring old ones will only hurt each other, not any listing site. The first suggestion is the better from my POV.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org

Text sigs can be just as annoying as images.

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

From past experience I knew it wouldn't last. I did it to prove a point. This forum isn't about community, it's about what is good for Groundspeak and Groundspeak only.

Well, yeah. What you seem to be forgetting is that Groundspeak is a business. The business of business is not "fostering community". It's making money. Allowing you to advertise one of their competitors (NC) on GC's dime (this forum) would not be conducive towards the goal of making money. Don't like it? Maybe living in a capitalist country is not for you.

quote:

yeah I meant that too, but I referring to what happens sometimes on here. People will look at the numbers at the bottom near the signature and make judgements from there. I would rather make my assumptions or judgements more from those who have more hands on experience. AS you stated, as well, the basis of the argument also comes into play in that.

I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you! Am I to understand that a new visitor to these boards might be prejudged base solely on the fact that they were, in fact, new? A less forgiving man might call you an elitist.

quote:

Let's say I get ill and have to have surgery. There are 2 surgeons that I can choose from. One has been a surgeon since September 2001 and has operated on 20 people and has written a book. The second one has been a surgeon since May 2003 and has operated on a 100 people. Now which one would I choose to operate on me?

Too many unknowns. For example, the subject of the book written by the first doctor might have been Ornamental Gardening, while 100% of his surgeries were successful and the patients experienced no complications. The second doctor might have 50 malpractice suits pending, though that would still leave him with 30 more "satisfied customers" than the first doctor. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trippy:

I agree that we should practice our right to civil disobedience when we feel compelled to, but I'd also just like to note that not placing new caches and retiring old ones will only hurt each other, not any listing site. The first suggestion is the better from my POV.

Thanks for your comments. We agree that a financial impact would speak loudly, but listing services depend on listings. Those listings consist of our work and our good intentions, provided to the site for free. One must consider whether or not those who stand to gain financially from one's work deserve to.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 14, 2003 at 06:42 AM.]

quote:

The business of business is not "fostering community".

I believe at this point, a large part of growing the geocaching business is going to be reliant on building community. People stay involved longer and have a larger personal investment when a community is present.

If gc.com becomes "just a listing site" then they will lose that investment and risk losing business. In order to maintain a user base, gc.com must maintain "Gc.com Patriotism" and the most effective way of doing that in my mind is to build community. Website features only get you so far.

Fostering Community == cheap and effective marketing. Something they should definitely be interested in as a business.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org

Text sigs can be just as annoying as images.

quote:
How's this for something to howl about? It seems my signature has mysteriously disappeared! I wonder why? Could it be because of this?

From past experience I knew it wouldn't last. I did it to prove a point. This forum isn't about community, it's about what is good for Groundspeak and Groundspeak only. It's not about what is good for geocaching in general, otherwise other sites would be welcome.

No, I think this presents a better case for the arguement that this recent move wasn't about bandwidth and people complaining, but about trying to deny the existence of other sites. That signature line above didn't have any graphics, so it didn't strain bandwidth, it wasn't distracting, it wasn't large (remember the 4 line guideline?). It's not about any of the above. It's about trying to monopolize the game and do what right for Groundspeak, and to hell with the rest.

CR

Give me a freakin' break. You're pissed because GC.COM won't allow you to advertise for their comptetors in your sig line??

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:

Too many unknowns. For example, the subject of the book written by the first doctor might have been Ornamental Gardening, while 100% of his surgeries were successful and the patients experienced no complications. The second doctor might have 50 malpractice suits pending, though that would still leave him with 30 more "satisfied customers" than the first doctor. icon_wink.gif

LOL...you are correct in that. But I was making an anology of sugeries(successful at that) in comparison to finds. I guess an unsuccessful surgery would be like a no find. And the book was written on surgery...lol icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

www.woodsters.com

My Stats

quote:
Originally posted by trippy:

Fostering Community == cheap and effective marketing. Something they _should_ definitely be interested in as a business.

Trippy,

This is true but keep in mind that not ALL marketing is good.

Good marketing = the RIGHT message about your business.

I agree that this site is a blend of community & business and I'm OK with that. Viral marketing (word of mouth) can be very powerful, but you (the company, GC.com, etc.) has to be sure that the word of mouth being spread is what you want. Controlling the content on this site and forums allows the right message to be spread.

I think this IS a business. Look at other sites. Have you ever seen a Lycos ad on Yahoo??? Not advertising a competitor's site is hardly censorship.

Trippy - this reply was not directed entirely at you directly. Just quoted the marketing part.

I'm coming to this late.

I don't use a sig. The large images can get out of hand, the small ones are probably ok. People seem quite attached to them, why not post some size guidelines for the whole sig line itself.

P.S. The moderator post after Jeremy's did not come off too well. I would say it was rather inciteful. Perhaps another moderator could edit it for him?

Cheers!

quote:

quote:
Controlling the content on this site and forums allows the right message to be spread.

No, it allows the message that best suits the interests of the site owners to be spread; that may or may not be "the right message", or even an accurate message.

Exactly. It's their site so the message that spreads about their site should be in their control.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

quote:

>snip<.. Don't place new caches. Retire your old ones.

Not placing caches hurts other cachers. Retiring all your caches but still seeking ones other have hidden might be seen as a bit self-centered.

Sure - you'd impact GC.COM a little, but who you really affect is other people's enjoyment of the game (thankfully, there's always people spending time planning and hiding caches for others to find). icon_wink.gif

I guess it's kind of like the pirate thing - some people just consider their own enjoyment above all else.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:

Controlling the content on this site and forums allows the right message to be spread.

quote:

No, it allows the message that best suits the interests of the site owners to be spread; that may or may not be "the right message", or even an accurate message.

quote:

Exactly. ... We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

On the contrary; I see we are now on the same page.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly. ... We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

On the contrary; I see we are now on the same page.

Ahhh, the only "right message" must be your message? Can't the site decide that for themselves? Maybe we should ask geocaching worldwide dot com what they think... oh yeah, there gone.

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

Not placing caches hurts other cachers.

No. There are other listing services. The point of such an exercise would be to put pressure on an intransigent management in an attempt to 'encourage' them to be more flexible and responsive to their membership base. Many users of this site have suggested that serious competition is precisely what this site needs.

quote:
Retiring all your caches but still seeking ones other have hidden might be seen as a bit self-centered.

But not as self-centered as hiding caches but not seeking those hidden by others, or seeking caches hidden by others but never hiding any of one's own, I would think.

quote:
Sure - you'd impact GC.COM a little, but who you really affect is other people's enjoyment of the game.

That's a good thing, isn't it? People rarely work towards change unless they have been affected personally. The more people that are affected, the louder the voice calling for change. "Many hands make work light."

quote:
... some people just consider their own enjoyment above all else.

Or maybe some people just don't give a dadgum and won't involve themselves in "getting their hands dirty" working towards a common good. But those same people will be first in line to take advantage of any improvements.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 14, 2003 at 11:38 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

Ahhh, the only "right message" must be your message?

Don't be obtuse, man. Your comment is entirely inappropriate.

quote:
Can't the site decide that for themselves?

You mean the site that invented the sport? Oh, wait ... they didn't really do that.

You mean the site that coined the term "geocaching." Oh, wait ... they didn't really do that either.

What was your question again?

quote:

You mean the site that invented the sport? Oh, wait ... they didn't really do that.

You mean the site that coined the term "geocaching." Oh, wait ... they didn't really do that either.

Irrelevant. Honda has their own site. They determine content and site rules. They didn't invent automobiles or coin the term.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Irrelevant. Honda has their own site. They determine content and site rules. They didn't invent automobiles or coin the term.

They probably also didn't claim, at various times, that they had. Honda also is not attempting to voice "the right message" on behalf of the entire auto industry.

I tend to be in agreement with most of the comments made by BassoonPilot. A long time ago (when paid subscriptions were first offered) I accepted Geocaching.com as primarily a business, and a good one at that. Under my avatar you will note the words “Satisfied Customer”, which I specifically chose to express both my assessment of this site, and of my understanding that it is a business. It is clearly the goal of Geocaching.com to be the overwelmingly dominate Geocaching site for serious Geocachers. This is a reasonable business aspiration, and will be the underlying basis for most of the decisions made by Geocaching.com. They have achieved this goal, and will continue to maintain it if they are responsive to us as customers. We can enhance and maintain the quality of this site if we recognize that we are customers, and we act like customers.

An analgy: If I thought that my local theatre was not a business, but simply a “community”, then I would be disturbed if they wouldn’t let me bring my own soda, candy and popcorn, and I would probably complain. But I know it is a business, and provided that they continue to provide me with a service that I want, and am prepared to pay for, I won’t complain simply because their policies are self-serving.

A decision to eliminate a plethora of links to another Geocaching related site (Keenpeople.com) is not at all unexpected, and I do not complain in this regard. I did not need Jeremy’s explanation, and in fact would have felt a little bit better about the whole thing if such explanation were not offered.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

quote:
An analgy: If I thought that my local theatre was not a business, but simply a “community”, then I would be disturbed if they wouldn’t let me bring my own soda, candy and popcorn, and I would probably complain. But I know it is a business, and provided that they continue to provide me with a service that I want, and am prepared to pay for, I won’t complain simply because their policies are self-serving.

A decision to eliminate a plethora of links to another Geocaching related site (Keenpeople.com) is not at all unexpected, and I do not complain in this regard. I did not need Jeremy’s explanation, and in fact would have felt a little bit better about the whole thing if such explanation were not offered.

That would be great if that's what he said. Instead of honest you got vague comments about unknown users who emailed and complained.

You might also look at the double standard in "advertising" on the site. Check out the software and hardware forums. Shameless plugs and comments about new software releases. That advertising is obviously permitted despite the clear forum rules. Check out sig lines that advertise regional sites. These all seem to be "permitted"

It would be one thing if he came out and said "Nobody can bring candy into the theatre" instead we get whishy washy comments about only a few people not allowed to bring candy in.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

quote:

quote:

Ahhh, the only "right message" must be your message?

Don't be obtuse, man. Your comment is entirely inappropriate.

quote:
Can't the site decide that for themselves?

What was your question again?

quote:
From dictionary.com:

ob·tuse

adj. ob·tus·er, ob·tus·est

a. Lacking quickness of perception or intellect.

b. Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity: an obtuse remark.

c. Not distinctly felt: an obtuse pain.

Uh huh. I see. To avoid the question you call me stupid. I would call that inappropriate as well sir.

Since you don't own the site, I don't know how you can presume that the message the site is trying to convey "may or may not be "the right message", or even an accurate message". I think they would know better than anybody.

I am sorry that you could not understand my question. It wasn't that difficult a question if you read my post with the quotes above it.

I never said this web site invented geocaching or that they coined the word. That is evasion. Basically, why can this site not control the content on this site and forums to allow the their idea of how they want the sport of geocaching to be portrayed on the site and forums that they own?

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

quote:

I see. To avoid the question you call me stupid. I would call that inappropriate as well sir.

Is that what I said? I respond to valid questions. Your "question" was b*llsh*t intended only to skew legitimate points.

As your latest post clearly indicates, my reply to your earlier post was indeed appropriate.

quote:
I never said this web site invented geocaching or that they coined the word. That is evasion.

No, it's not. Credibility was one of the issues this thread touched upon. As my example reminded us, this is not a new issue. It has persisted since the earliest days of this site.