Make it One or Three?

Criminal

I’m getting ready to place another cache. It will be a three parter wherein you have to go to the first to get the coordinates to the second and so on. I’m NOT going to have any riddles or math problems to solve, just one-to-the-next-to-the-final.

Here’s the question: With regards to the web-site, should I make this ONE cache, whereby once you find all three it’s one find, or should I make it three caches (all having the same starting coordinates) so that a successful finder can get credit for THREE finds?

My rational for this is that it will require a finder to actually hunt down the first and second container, they’ll be hidden much in the same way as a traditional single cache. After that they can go on to the third and get credit for that one as well. There will be only one logbook (in the final cache container) as the first two will be somewhat small.

I know I’m probably not breaking new ground here, it only occurred to me just now.

sounds like a regular multi cache - since there are no logbooks in the other two places, and you have to do them to get the coords for the final and third one.

isn't that exactly what a multi cache is??? with or without the puzzles..

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

If you place them all at one time, make it a multicache. But:

We have a fellow around here who has placed three caches over a period of a year. (The "Go Copper Mining" series.) They are all standard caches with logbooks. He designed the caches so each page shows the coordinates for the original cache. The first cache contains cards with coordinates for the second cache, and the second cache contains cards with the coordinates for the third cache.

New visitors could start at cache 1 and pick up 3 finds for doing what amounts to a standard multicache. Previous visitors need only return to the last cache in the series they had visited to pick up the coordinates for the latest cache. (assuming they saved the coordinates.)

I think it works pretty well.

We are currently plotting out a cache hunt and we were thinking that this might be our approach. The rational is this. Most multi caches form some kind of circuit, but what we're planning is a path the is fairly straight with the end points being about a mile apart. We're looking at five caches where each one is another level of difficulty, with the final cache hopefully being a 5/1.5 or so. Of course, you’ll never find the 5the cache unless you visit the other four, and yes there will be some puzzles to solve. By breaking the stages up like this, folks can get a little credit for their efforts, even if they can not complete all five stages. We would also put a log box in each cache however.

We recently did a multi-staged letterbox hunt and there was a logbook and stamp in each cache, that was pretty cool. There was also a multi-cache that was a 5 parter, it was about a mile hike to part 3, where there was a small log and a couple trade items There the cacher had a chance to bail out and get credit for the find, or you could choose to walk another loop for another mile and complete the hunt. This was pretty cool too.

So, anyway, three for one; folk just interested in raising their cache count will love ya, and folks that enjoy the hike and completing multi-caches will love. Sound like a win-win situation. icon_smile.gif

We are currently plotting out a cache hunt and we were thinking that this might be our approach. The rational is this. Most multi caches form some kind of circuit, but what we're planning is a path the is fairly straight with the end points being about a mile apart. We're looking at five caches where each one is another level of difficulty, with the final cache hopefully being a 5/1.5 or so. Of course, you’ll never find the 5the cache unless you visit the other four, and yes there will be some puzzles to solve. By breaking the stages up like this, folks can get a little credit for their efforts, even if they can not complete all five stages. We would also put a log box in each cache however.

We recently did a multi-staged letterbox hunt and there was a logbook and stamp in each cache, that was pretty cool. There was also a multi-cache that was a 5 parter, it was about a mile hike to part 3, where there was a small log and a couple trade items There the cacher had a chance to bail out and get credit for the find, or you could choose to walk another loop for another mile and complete the hunt. This was pretty cool too.

So, anyway, three for one; folk just interested in raising their cache count will love ya, and folks that enjoy the hike and completing multi-caches will love. Sound like a win-win situation. icon_smile.gif

I voted for making it one multi-cache. Here's a way I'm planning on making a multi-leg cache but having it be 3 separate caches. There will be 2 intial caches. Stage 1 and 2 will have the correct coords on geocaching.com, and will also contain 1/2 the coordinates each to Stage 3. Stage 3 will be listed on geocaching.com with incorrect coordinates - you'll have to get the real ones by visiting stage 1 and 2.

Does that make sense?

If all the caches are real (micros, or traditional), not just a number scrawled on a wall or lightpost, then 3 separate caches are in order.

If one leg of the cache is near the other and the whole thing can be done within the span of an afternoon, do it as a multicache. If the caches are fairly far apart, do it as a separate caches that link together. The thing about multi's is those of us who don't have time, end up not doing them because we can't just do one or two legs and go without missing out on the actual cache.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

After some consideration I may make it two traditional caches with no links whatsoever to each other. They will, however, both have a card with coordinates to the cache that was to be the final. The previously third and now “bonus” cache website description will have coordinates for one or the other as the start point. This would allow a person to find either, take the card w/coordinates and clue, and come back another day if they desire.

I’m not fond of multi’s myself. I guess it’s the idea that you could devote an afternoon to one cache, find the majority of them, and still walk away with zip. Plus I really suck at math-on-the-fly.

Thoughts on this?

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**