Automobile Power Adapter Question

LisaAS36

I've done this before with no harmful effects. I believe that the worst thing you will do is blow a fuse in your car. These are easy and cheap to replace. It is likely that your civic has spares just in case. I know our integra did. This should not do any damage to your GPS or radar detector.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

The lighter in a car draws a huge amount of current , compared to electronic devices. Think hairdryer, or toaster in your home. The fuse in the car is probably rated around 20 amps. Things like a cellphone, GPSr, or radar detector draw well under 1 amp, so you have plenty of power to spare. Now, alot of newer cars also have what they call a "power point" which looks like a lighter receptacle, but is usually only rated for 2.5 amps. Thats still enough to power several small electric devices, or 1 laptop.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I can't figure this out. Why doesn't somebody come up with a new standard. For the amp or two that is needed to run cellphones, gpsr's, radar detectors and the like, wouldn't something like a 1/8 plug do just as good and be a lot less bulky?. It works just fine at the device end of the cable. Its not like many people actually use the cigarette lighter part anymore. Oh yeah, then a dime wouldn't be able to be placed in the hole by a curious 6 year old and blow the fuse.

John

One of these days I'll fix the red x.

quote:
Originally posted by Cabernet:

Oh yeah, then a dime wouldn't be able to be placed in the hole by a curious 6 year old and blow the fuse.

Hey - they do that and guess how many mechanics will be put out of work???

What I can't understand is why so many moms let kids stick junk into CD players and cassette decks... cookies, crackers, peanut butter, life savers, M&M's ... makes a heck of a mess... but it sure is profitable work!

You're not pull startin' a dadgum lawnmower, squeeze the trigger!

quote:
Originally posted by Cabernet:

I can't figure this out. Why doesn't somebody come up with a new standard. For the amp or two that is needed to run cellphones, gpsr's, radar detectors and the like, wouldn't something like a 1/8 plug do just as good and be a lot less bulky?. It works just fine at the device end of the cable. Its not like many people actually use the cigarette lighter part anymore. Oh yeah, then a dime wouldn't be able to be placed in the hole by a curious 6 year old and blow the fuse.

John

One of these days I'll fix the red x.

My car is full of those things I have two in front seat, one for the back seat and one in the cargo area. The are so popular and such a standard I have actually installed such outlets on a boat I owned. They were handy for portable TV / Radio / GPSr / fans and lights. icon_biggrin.gif

Fair winds, Capn Skully

I thought the manufactures had gotten together and agreed on a new, 48V standard, largely due to the increasing electronics in cars – 12V just can’t cut it when cars are being outfitted with DVD, games, power EVERYTHING and 1500W of sound. If you own a car or truck like this, you’re probably dragging 300lbs of copper to handle the current! Going to a 48V standard would cut the current draw 75%.

Hopefully, when this new standard ships, they will also deliver a new (smaller) connector for the accessories we are all going to plug into it…

These are my opinions and only my opinions, unless you share them as well, which would make them our opinions, but I am not of the opinion that I can express your opinion as my opinion without your prior expression of said opinion, and then my re-utterance of that opinion would, in my opinion, be foolish unless I were expressing agreement to your opinion, and then it wouldn't be my opinion but your opinion to which I only agree.