Mini-rant --- No locations in many people's profiles

I am noticing more and more people (perhaps relatively new forum participants?) that do not include a location when they register. Therefore there is no location listed for them at the bottom of their posts.

I have to admit that I also did this when I first started on the boards. However I read a post by someone (actually many posts...someone was on a crusade at the time) asking all of us to include such information. It really helps to put people's posts in context and understand better what their comments mean if you know where they live. What am I talking about? I don't mean stereotypes....I mean urban vs rural, mountainous region vs flat, area with many caches vs area with almost no caches, etc.

So...that's my mini-rant....Please, please add a location to your profile so that it will show up at the bottom of your posts. icon_smile.gif

Alchemist2000

quote:
Originally posted by alchemist2000:

....Please, please add a location to your profile so that it will show up at the bottom of your posts. icon_smile.gif

Alchemist2000

Great idea. That way when someone says they have no trouble with satellite lock, and you see they're from a desert area, you know why.. Makes sense out of a lot of posts. I often totally discount what someone is saying if their location isn't posted and that can be very pertinent to their response.

Alan

I can hardly believe that including something along the lines of "Colorado, US" or even "Northwest US" is going to let the baddies come get you. If you live like that, I pity you. (Caution is one thing, but not putting *anything*... at least put "Lower Whoville, Seuss, DR" or something.)

Nice Icon.

I catch yer drift but I guess it's the NEW YORKER in me that makes me suspicious. I mean, most NEW YORKERS are pretty guarded about their information. Maybe because the littlest leak of info in NW YORK can lead to an inundation of NEW YORK telemarketer calls and who needs that? Especially in NEW YORK!

Come to think of it, I don't think I'll tell you where I'm from. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Pun:

...however some (probable) troll implied physical threats against me. Since I have a family I will have to decline your request for information.

It's sad but there are some things I'm just not willing to take a chance with. icon_frown.gif

AtP

Hey relax Atilla. If someone wanted to find out about you...they already have. All people want to see is a general idea of where you are coming from. We are all friends here!

I've never left much information about myself anyplace on the internet but on this site. There is so much integrity amongst these people in this community that I feel really safe here.

Nobody will hold it against you if you don't.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Whatsamaddayou. 'fraid. Come meet me here. N40 43.332 W73 51.068 30 feet from corner in alley. Sat nite, 3 AM.

Come alone or fergetaboutit.

Alan icon_cool.gif

Forest Hills, Queens, NY, USA

ROFL!

Well, if it was just me I don't really care, but, as I said, I have a family.

AtP

quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Pun:

Well, if it was just me I don't really care, but, as I said, I have a family.

I support you 100% Atilla, you won't catch me giving out information about myself.

Seriously though, this isn't nearly as dangerous to your personal safety or the privacy of your family as say.... buying milk at the grocery store.

I don't know what you look like, your gender, your financial situation, or anything else you've not explicitely posted and anything anyone post should be taken with a grain of salt.

For instance, not many here know that I'm actually an old Chinese woman.

quote:

Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

For instance, not many here know that I'm actually an old Chinese woman.

I can vouch for that! All the O'Conners I know are old Chinese woman.

--- yrium ---

who just added his location to his profile.

Choberiba aka: Eric O'Conner is so shy that he's posted numerous photos claiming that they are "the real" him when in fact he scammed that pic of the 'net somewhere and tried to pawn it off on us... 'course, the pic of that muscular Hispanic gentleman in the tank top with his head out of the shot had a pretty attractive torso...

AHEM! I know that guys get stalked, but not as often as females. Be honest, how many of you out there are axe-murderers and serial stalkers, raise your hands!

Hmmm.. that many, huh?

The vagueness of my location is more to prove a point than to be elusive. So many folks believe that Oregon begins somewhere north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Unbelievably, I live 400 miles north of the Bay area and I'm still south of the border. There are so few geocachers where I live, and having posted pics of myself, my truck, my other half and knowing that there are only 3 active cachers in this city... not to mention that I own my own business, etc. This is a small town. Just ask anyone if they know me or know of me. They can probably point the way to my house.

My privacy was taken away when I signed up for an ISP. I have had strange men from Canada (why always Canucks?) send roses to my home, I've had people I don't know stop by to fix me breakfast (yikes!) and I had a guy drive his Harley to my front door and tell my other half straight out that he wanted to "take me away"... all of this with no encouragement from me.

The world is getting smaller and the internet is the shrinking agent. Anybody who really wants to find you will.

Hell, Choberiba gives out his cellphone number on cache pages! (I charge a dollar for each time I give it out)

I live in rural, small world Northern California.

Thank you for asking. Steak works graveyards so you'll know when to stop by... at 8 a.m. just before he comes to bed!

It's not whether or not you pick your nose that matters, but where you put the booger...

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

I have had strange men from Canada (why always Canucks?) send roses to my home...

What?

quote:
I've had people I don't know stop by to fix me breakfast

Are you serious?

quote:
I had a guy drive his Harley to my front door and tell my other half straight out that he wanted to "take me away"...

You've got to be kidding!

Red... that stuff really happen?

I could go for the breakfast thing. icon_smile.gif

Jamie

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think the spirit of the request is to have people put in what area of the world they are in instead of just leaving the field blank.

If you are comfortable posting your city and state great. If you just want to give your home coords that's okay too.

If you've had problems like Red and Atilla then you have every right to be more vauge.

I have mine set as Safeco Field because I'm a big Mariner's fan. I think most people can figure out that I live in the Northwest. If they want to know where I live that bad they can check my profile and see what caches I've found/placed.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Red... that stuff really happen?

I could go for the breakfast thing. icon_smile.gif

Jamie

Okay:

The roses came from a PERSON who lived in the Alberta province. I did nothing to encourage this person and in fact still have no idea how he got my phone number (he would call late at night) or address. He stopped his behavior after I had at him on the phone one evening.

The people who showed up and fixed breakfast were Canadians, too. A group of young men who'd bought a van and used it to tour the coast south. They had CB radio in common with me/us. They came by, asked to 'camp' in our driveway for the night and got up and cooked an English breakfast/brunch the next day. It was HUGE! I've never seen so much meat or beans on a breakfast menu. The details behind this are kinda weird. Ask me in email...

And the Harley boy? He was from Alaska. Six foot lots, 250 lbs. and hadn't bathed in two weeks. He'd fallen in love with my picture and told his wife he was coming south to 'get me' (they were 'swingers'!). This occurance was pre-Steak and my previous husband was a five-foot-ten computer nerd with bottle-bottomed glasses. The police took care of THAT one...

I just wish that my fan-base was a bit less on the bizarre side...

It's not whether or not you pick your nose that matters, but where you put the booger...

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:And you wonder why I don't post my photo?

oconnor.gif

WOW! Now, THAT looks like it could be what I picture an O'Conner to look like! I'm packing my stuff, leaving Steak and moving to Berkeley!

And to think that I have this guy's phone number? Whooo-hooo!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

Must say that all the cachers I've met on the trails were great!! Placeing my general location on the bottom of my post just doesn't seems to and to create any personal anxiety......

But heading out and haveing a guy on the trail say "Aren't you Dx & Family?".....whoa! (Happened last weekend)

Or going to Ottawa to start off the Canadian Geoquilt and meeting cachers who said "YOu sound much older than you look" (I posted a fairly decent px of myself on my profile right after that one...not all quilter/cachers are grandmas).

and then there was the time when I received back a packet of signature squares from the first geoquilt....my address also had my coordinates on it...not that felt wierder that my address...which also would bring you to my front door step....

So hey, knowing that I'm from a small town that you could sneeze through is ok with me......

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

[This message was edited by DxChallenged on May 18, 2002 at 09:34 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

I'm packing my stuff, leaving Steak and moving to Berkeley!

And to think that I have this guy's phone number? Whooo-hooo!

Good grief! Well, Eric, it looks like you will presently have someone arriving at your door on a Harley who will make you a huge breakfast before carrying you away to undreamt of bliss. Better place that call to 911 NOW!!

A long time ago I decided I would not make any of my information private (address, phone number, etc.). Obviously there are pros and cons to this.

Pro - Make information available so someone that really needed to reach me (relative, friend) will be able to get my info.

Con – The evil doers will track me down and abduct my family.

In our time, it is not difficult for the average person to get information on someone if they really want to. For me, It is really not worth it to be consumed with the idea that someone might be stalking me.

quote:
Originally posted by DxChallenged:

not all quilter/cachers are grandmas).

I've always pictured you as pushing 70 while wearing a great big wig.

Maybe you can google-image up a picture of yourself too?

[hint: that dude and I may be from the same basic gene pool but that's where the connection ends. - sorry Red]

lori-2.gif

quote:
Skully & Mulder et al. Wrote:

In our time, it is not difficult for the average person to get information on someone if they really want to. For me, It is really not worth it to be consumed with the idea that someone might be stalking me.

Just look at the IMDb and you'll see the name and birthday for anyone who's worked on a movie. Were I to be employed in that profession I might be a little more concerned. - Nah, I'd probably be another Wil Weaton or Jason Mewes and nobody-but-nobody would want to cause harm.

Speaking of causing harm (and taking a stab at being on topic for a change)

I "won" a copy of that cheesy David Carradine/Sly Stallone film Death Race 2000 on eBay. I bid $3 as a joke thinking I'd be outbid since $3 is low for a DVD.

Well let's just say it will make a decent trade for a Mc-Keychain.

Anyone here think an "R" rated movie is an okay thing to leave in a cache?

It's "R" in the 1975 sense so you're not really exposed to anything other than a lack of plot and bad acting.

Today it would be rated PG-13 (cause there be some booty and a little red paint splashed about in an awkward way) I don't even remember a single profane word being uttered. (It might have helped)