Bath salts and soaps

I had an interesting experience the other day. To make a long story short, I found a cache that was covered with more ants than I would have thought possible. They hadn't penetrated the ammo can, but when I opened it, even my relatively weak nose was assulted icon_eek.gif with some very sweet smells from a bag of bath salts and another bag of handmade soap.

I figured the ants were after that stuff, so I took them and left some odor-neutral toys in their place.

I took the salts and soap home to give to my wife, knowing that she enjoys taking baths and frequently uses bath salts and various strange soaps.

She thanked me for the thought, but said she would never use them because she doesn't trust that they're safe, considering their anonymous source. She then proceeded to throw them in the trash icon_redface.gif

Now on one hand, I can understand her apprehension, but on the other hand I tend to be more trusting, and would have no problem with it myself. However I don't like baths.

So I wonder what other wives/female cachers out there think. Would you personally use bath salts and/or soap you found in a cache?

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

In general, you should not put ANY strong-smelling item in a cache! (Perfume, food, soap, your old socks, black pepper corns, rotting meat, live animals, rabbits in heat, diahreatic cats, etc.)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

In general, you should not put ANY strong-smelling item in a cache! (Perfume, food, soap, your old socks, black pepper corns, rotting meat, live animals, rabbits in heat, diahreatic cats, etc.)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Once again, I laughed so hard I got in trouble at work. icon_wink.gif

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

quote:
Originally posted by SNIFTER:

I have no problem taking bath salts, soap, beer,water, or for that matter any eadible thing. I just guess I live in a lucky country where we don't have to worry that someone has put something nasty in a cache.

Australians all let us rejoice.

Yo Snifter,

If you got a cache big enough, and it had enough water and bath salts in it, well, you could take youself a nice smelly bath right there! And you could drink the provided beer and foodstuffs from the cache while ou wer having a nice relaxing bath! Now close your eyes and let Calgon take you away... aaaahhhh (CHOMP!)

-- I imagine the bear that just ate you might develop indegestion from the bath-salts coating, and that's good 'nuff for him, too! (Teach him to eat a bathing geocacher!!)

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

--majicman

I ran across a cache today that had a small bottle of lotion in it (like the kind you'd get in your hotel room) as well as some kind of soap ball inside the cache and a heart shaped piece of soap with some kind of shiney coating on it laying OUTSIDE the cache. The one outside had been partially chewed on by an animal. We trashed it out along with some soda cans and other stuff found in the area.

These really didn't do anything for me or my hunting experience and if anything they made the container--and everything in it--smell pretty weird. I'd say, save the soap for when you get home and need that post-cache shower.

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44