Geocaching Tattoo?

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

I'd be happy to send you some geocaching logo temporary tattoos so you could try it out first.

So, how do I get some of geospotter's cool temporary geocaching logo tattoos?

Thanks,

*Daphne*

Mysteries Inc.

ingeo-button2.gif

"Their poverty, combined with their naivete and limited knowledge of the world, left them no choice but to put cheap, uninteresting stuff in their time capsule." -- from an article in the ONION, 14 Oct. 1999

quote:
Originally posted by Bluehook:

I’ve seen a lot of really bad tattoos, but a geocaching symbol would probably take the prize.

Why?

Why would a symbol of something that you really enjoy 'take the prize'? If it's something that they want and it means something to them, there's no need to criticize them.

For some this is a game they play sometimes. For others it's been a lifestyle change from sitting on the couch, and with others it's been a way to enjoy some good old fashioned family time together without sitting in front of the TV.

I hesitate to say that it's a 'life-changing' thing but I just spoke to somebody today who told told me that's lost over 30 lbs in about 3-4 months of caching.

If somebody wants a symbol of what caching means to them on them, nobody here is in a position to call it stupid, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

I think a Tattoo of Kealia's Avatar would take the prize!!

Hey! Maybe we could all chip in and get Kealia the avatar tattoo? icon_wink.gif

On the other hand, the cast of the "Lord of the Rings" had tattoo's done during filming (I think it was the elf symbol for the number nine). That would also keep in the spirit of the avatar.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

You can tell who the admins. are, because when they were conscripted Jeremy had them branded them with the Groundspeak logo. (And you always wondered what the 'little screaming guy' represented?)

Looks like the branding iron went right through thier arms! OUCH!

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

Why?

Why would a symbol of something that you really enjoy 'take the prize'? If it's something that they want and it means something to them, there's no need to criticize them...

Gee, I dunno? You'd have to ask my buddy with the Jack Daniels logo tattoo who is now a group leader in AA. Or, my friend with the Gibson SG on his bicep who hasn’t played guitar in ten years...or my other friend with the Harley logo who lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. Hey, how about a tattoo of a computer tower, keyboard, monitor and printer? That’s half the game of geocaching too, would that be "cool?"

quote:
Originally posted by Bluehook:

Gee, I dunno? You'd have to ask my buddy with the Jack Daniels logo tattoo who is now a group leader in AA. Or, my friend with the Gibson SG on his bicep who hasn’t played guitar in ten years...or my other friend with the Harley logo who lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. Hey, how about a tattoo of a computer tower, keyboard, monitor and printer? That’s half the game of geocaching too, would that be "cool?"

Just because your friends made poor choices (obviously the motorcycle incident is the exception) doesn't mean that everybody who gets a tattoo will regret it.

Even if you get a tattoo of something that you don't do forever, it's always a nice reminder of a different time and place.

Finally, who's to say what's "cool"? I'm sure there are people who WOULD think it would be cool to have a computer tower, monitor and keyboard tattooed on them. It's not your place to criticize them. I'm sure at some point you've worn clothes or had a haircut, or were into something that others didn't think was "cool". SO WHAT? You liked it so you did it.

Period.

And please don't take the easy road by saying those things are not permanent....

I've been considering a GC-related tat for almost 2yrs now. Who knows? I spent 10yrs deciding on my 1st one, and 12yrs later, I still have no regrets. It has deep, multiple meanings to and about myself, how could I regret that?

A tat should reflect something very personal about you and your life, and if geocaching effects you in that way, go for it.

Mine porbably will not be some big, huge logo. It will be incorporated into a design along with other infuences in my life. Other things incorporated will be my avatar, or elements of. I've been a fan of Chrysler products since the 1968 Dodge Charger came out (and a 68 Charger was later my 1st car), so I don't see me getting sick of that any time soon. Another thing is the game Quake. It's close to 10yrs since that game came out, and probably 5 since I've even played it,but I will still included. It had a profound effect on me. I've made lifelong friends because of that game. I've worked some cool jobs and had some minor fame and recognition because of that game. It influenced who I am now, and even if I no longer have the time or desire to play computer games, it's a part of me that I have no problems acknowledging, and doubt I will ever regret.

When it's all said and done, the avge person might not even recognize any of these individual elements in the final tattoo.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

Thought I wanted one a couple of years back. Bought a couple of books on Celtic design, "The Art of the Tattoo," etc.

Now I'm glad I didn't. Most of the tats I see just look junky, especially after they spread out and blur.

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

All who wander are not lost.

[This message was edited by Team Og Rof A Klaw on October 06, 2003 at 12:36 PM.]

I think if the logo or something representing geocaching means a lot to you and you don't have hesitations about seeing that design on you many years from now, then go for it. If you (at any future date) no longer geocache, I can bet you that if someone asks you about your tat, you can tell them about it.... and a bunch of caching stories to go along with it icon_smile.gif

Sandy - with one tat done 3 years ago at the age of 37

Bob - with 15 tats (various ages and sizes lol)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob - can ya beer me now?

Sandy - bite me

I've been thinking about the GC logo myself. Like others, the game really has been a life-changing experience. No matter how long I am envolved in it, the memories will be with me forever.

I never could have imagined the awesome adventures I have been on, and a lot of the people I have met along the way have turned into some of my best friends.

If it were my choice (and well, it is in my case) I would get the tat. Like others have said, at the very least, 20 years from now you will be telling people about the great times you had while caching.

Also, like others have said, research your tattoo artist. Don't just get one done at the first place you go to. If you see other people with tats, ask them about it (they love it) icon_wink.gif Find out where they had it done, if they liked the artist, was the place clean, can the tat be easily covered by clothes if needed, etc.

I have 2 tats. My first one I had done about 9 years ago, and it's on the upper part of my left arm. It's the symbol off of an old arcade game that I used to own called Eliminator. It wasn't the greatest game, or my favorite, but I liked the symbol, and made it represent something else to me: Mind, body, and soul all linked together. I'm also a fan of classic arcade games, so it's a reference to that as well.

My second tattoo is a symbol from a Pink Floyd album, surrounded with the framework of the movie screen they have at their concerts. It's located on the lower part of my right leg, and I got it about 5 years ago.

I've been listening to Pink Floyd since I was a baby in the crib(brothers and sister played it for me), it was the very first concert I went to, and the music (in my opinion) is some of the greatest ever created. Even though there will probably be no new music from them, they have made an impact on my life, and I want people to know that.

So in short( icon_wink.gif ), I say go for it!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45* 30.ish

W 122* 58.ish

pdx33.gif

At the last biker dance I attended, a nice young miss was discreetly showing her tattoos at the behest of the young gentlemen manning the candy table. She started with one shoulder, moved to her calf, then coyly displayed the upper chest. By the time they got to her derriere, the boys had had enough & demanded to see the entire artwork. As she shimmied down her waistband just a tiny bit more, the most impatient spectator took matters into his own hands, skinned off her pants & bit her rear. Our table had beer shooting out of our noses we were laughing so hard. I believe she received a little extra in her purchase for being a good sport.

"Thank you for calling Mom's Travel Service. Guilt Trips our specialty. Where would you like to go today?"

Insp Gadget-

Good for you!!!!!! I was keeping my mouth shut, because I was getting annoyed - it's hard to believe that there are still people out there who look at tattooing as A. anything more than a PERSONAL choice, and B. some sort of gap in judgement/morals.

Anywhoooo-

As a woman with 5 tats, including one that goes from butt crack to mid-back (and soon to neck) - I have to say that I do not regret a single one of them. I got my first at 25 after wanting one for 15 years - so I felt that I had given it enough thought. All are beautiful - my artist is amazing. Tattoos on women certainly do not need to conjure up images of hard women on motorcycles (not there's anything wrong with that), just as the word "librarian" does not need to mean cardigan sweaters and hair buns - after all, I am a tattooed research librarian.

For anyone considering their first tat, just bears these things in mind:

It's YOUR body - you do not need to explain yourself to anyone.

Find a reputable shop. Look at work, ask about their sanitation procedures (which always include a NEW needle). If you feel uncomfortable for ANY reason (attitude, clientele, cleanliness) LEAVE.

Start small - it does hurt, and it is permanent.

Do not do it on a whim, or while drunk - that's just asking for regret.

I can't wait to see it posted here, Insp Gadget!

Are you on the trail that leads to my cache?

Let's see here, a geocaching tat huh? I actually considered getting a C&H tat before I met GC so maybe I could just get one of C&H going GC? As for regret...screw it...life is all about making bad decisions...if you make a good decision than your happy with it and if you make a bad decision than you can warn your kids about it next time around (hmmm is there some hidden gem of wisdom here?)

as for the harley...why only two wheels when you can have four? like a 1970 chevelle 454...and its very sad that living in detroit has taught me that "foreign" cars have more local parts than local cars icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Insp Gadget:

but have NO IDEA how to post a pic here!

I'm going to assume you have the equipment to load pictures to your computer.(digital camera, scanner, etc.)

If you have your own FTP space, and know how to upload pictures, all you have to do is click on the image icon to the right of the smilies. On the "Post a Reply" field. Copy and paste the URL for your image and click "Go". It will appear in the message your writing.

If you don't have FTP space, you can upload to your profile page.

You need to reduce the size of the picture. It should be less than 100kb.

From "My cache page" click on "Change your account information". Scroll down to mid page.

Click on the link in here.

Photo (JPG files only)

Choose a photo for yourself. If you haven't uploaded any images yet, you can do so now.

It will bring up an upload page. Upload your picture.

Go back to your "My cache page". When you navigate back to the upload a picture page there will be a link to your avatar and the picture you just uploaded. Click on the link for your new picture. It will open in your browser by it self. You can click on the URL address bar at the top of your browser. It should high light the address. Right click and select "copy".

Now you can paste it in the Picture field in your "Post a Reply" window. Explained above.

quote:

So, here is my tattoo.

The thing that come to my mind is OUCH!!! Not afraid of needles, I have donated over 4 gallons of blood to the Red Cross (not a one time, about 12 years worth).

Congrats Inspector...looks cool. Ammo box for the left arm????

Bob ~

This is like deja vu all over again...

Love the tat... it looks great! Be sure to keep lotion on it and take care of it the way they told you to. I had some problems with mine when I got it done and had to have it redone. Word to the wise.. it doesn't hurt that much the first time you get it done... but if you have to have it redone.. OUCH that does hurt!

Mine is a moon with a face in it... I got it on my 33rd birthday earlier this year. As for regretting it... there are times.. like when I put on that formal dress and have that portion of my back exposed.. but the rest of the time I sorta forget it is even there.. and since I don't reckon you're going to be wearing any formal dresses... I guess your safe..

Congrats!

quote:
Originally posted by RainbowCache:

quote:

So, here is my tattoo.

The thing that come to my mind is OUCH!!! Not afraid of needles, I have donated over 4 gallons of blood to the Red Cross (not a one time, about 12 years worth).

Well to be honest with you, it didn't hurt. A few people told me that it was such a painful experience, but I found it more of an annoyance than anything. I imagine the location has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't want to get one so close to a bone!

That's cool. I like to get my Tattoos at significant times in my life. The last one was the Japanese Characters for Survivor down my spine after I was finished my Chemo and the Blood work was clear.

This isn't on topic, but Congratulations! I love to hear those kinds of stories! :D

Bret

That's cool. I like to get my Tattoos at significant times in my life. The last one was the Japanese Characters for Survivor down my spine after I was finished my Chemo and the Blood work was clear.

This isn't on topic, but Congratulations! I love to hear those kinds of stories! :D

Bret

Ditto! COngrats! Glad to know that things are looking up!

thats the coolest tat ever. A coupla people i know that Paintball competitively have paintball "splats" on their arms. I have a design a little bit similar to cholo's avatar on my right wrist. Ive had it a few years. Whenever i think about regretting it, i always think, what the hell, its not like its a swastika. i like tatoos. [:lol:]

What are you gonna do when they change the logo? :lol:

I have 4, they are the benchmarks of my life.

Ani has 2, but those 2 take up a fair amount of space on her little body.

It's been said above but I feel I should repeat...it is a very personnal choice, don't do it drunk or on a whim. I drew 3 of mine, they are originals and have signifigant meaning for me.

MOST IMPORTANTLY...when I got my first Tattoo I was 18 had long hair, played guitar.....I can't tell you how I knew NOT to get that Motley Crue Tattoo, but I'm thankful for it. The things that are sacred to you today may very well seem stupid to you 5 years down the road.

Even if they do change the Logo it won't change what it means to you. I look at them as point in time reminders of who I was and what was important. I have one that is a bit faded and dated but I still love it for the memories.

Very true. It makes no difference to me if they change the logo. I love my tat and it's special to me alone.

A few days ago I had to have it recolored as he missed a few little spots, but it's looking so much better now! I'll have to take some new pics....

Every time someone says the word"tattoo" there is always someone who says its a big mistake. In my opinion there is only one golden rule about tattoos. Never have a name tattooed on you unless it is your childs name. I think the geocaching logo is an excellent tattoo to get. I have several tattoos but the one I like showing everybody is the picture of my collie I had for 14 years of my life.

Happy caching! :lol: