Geocaching Tattoo?

Take Geospotter's advice (And they're great tatoo's by the way) but think about the permanent one for 16 years, then take another 16 to find the artist you want to do the work. After that if you're still serious, go for it.

I'm bettin' you'll change your mind.

Would you really want a commercial logo etched into your body forever? It would be like having "Coke" or a "Nike" logo on you. Seems to me that too many people like to have free advertising of products they like. Guess thats ok but on your body seems like an extreme. To me it would seem that if you put something on you permenantly it would have a more personal nature to it, rather than a commercial nature.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

mystats.php?userid=rwmech&bgcol=ffffff&fgcol=0000ff

I too, was considering a tattoo

Not too small, nor too big

But something I can dig!

Not a picture of objects

or anything too complex

Neither too colorful

or anything that make me look like a fool

No names or anything numeric

But instead, something generic.

On my arm I want the word "TATTOO" tattooed!

icon_biggrin.gif

Have GPS, Will Travel.

I don't look at the Geocaching symbol as being commercial in nature. I look at it as a way I love spending my time. Geocaching is free to us, and yes I understand that there is a fee if you want the Premier status, but for the most part it's free.

I guess I look at it more as a personal thing for me. I'm just ooking for a small tat, nothing major.

quote:
I'd be happy to send you some geocaching logo temporary tattoos so you could try it out first.

Geospotter's temp tatoos are great! He sent me some that I put in especially good caches. I loved them!

With that said, a permanent tattoo is a big deal. I once thought that I wanted a yellow duck tattoo on my butt. Then I started thinking about how that would look when I got older (and that could be a problem anywhere on the body), if I would get sick of it, and what various future people (eg. boyfriends, doctors, the coroner etc.) might think of it. So I declined and got my belly button pierced instead. At least that is not permanent!

Edit: I also got to experience that parental "I don't really approve" thing, although Mom didn't really freak out all that much. I figured I would add that since she sometimes reads these forums and could chime in here on the matter any moment.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

Not sure about the GC logo, but a Travel Bug tatoo would be pretty cool. Especially if you could log it by finding you. icon_eek.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/images/dogtags.jpg

That sounds like a plan. You'll never forget your personal TB for events. Tat the number too. <pardon me...I punned> cute.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

Not sure about the GC logo, but a Travel Bug tatoo would be pretty cool. Especially if you could log it by finding you. icon_eek.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/images/dogtags.jpg

That all depends on where they put the tatoo icon_wink.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

... and what various future people (eg. boyfriends, doctors, the coroner etc.) might think of it.

Guess I'm alone on this one. Who cares what others think of it. If this is how you enjoy spending your time - do it!

A few of my friends have tattoos and so does my wife (a little one). Sure you may regret it someday but we all do things we may regret someday, eh?

Carleenp,

Not a personal attack against you icon_biggrin.gif Just quoting you to make a point.

quote:
Carleenp,

Not a personal attack against you Just quoting you to make a point.

Ack! I've been attacked by gollum, I'm so offended! icon_biggrin.gif

If those things don't bother a person, then OK go for it! I just wanted to throw out food for thought because they bothered me. So I went for the less permanent option! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I once thought that I wanted a yellow duck tattoo on my butt.

My ex-wife had that done with my name(Rob?). She had an R on one cheek and a B on the other. When she bent over it spelled r O b. Her new husband's name was Ron. Easy!....she only had to change one letter. That didn't end the problem. She told her friends, "No matter what I do, I've still got two a$$holes!".

Seriously, when someone wants a tatoo bad enough, nothing will stop them. Only time will tell if they made a mistake, same as buying a Harley. icon_razz.gif

I've been thinking of getting a tattoo for about 5 years now. Dunno if I'll ever do it, but if I do, I certainly have pondered it enough.

(It will be made in H.R. Giger style, and cover a big area in my back.icon_razz.gif)

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

I have had a tattoo now for four years. It is the tropical frog from the MGM Grand (in Vegas) sitting on a heart - at the bottom of my back above my - well, you get it...anyway, it is kind of fun going to the doctor (having forgotten about it - because I don't think of it every day) and hearing their enjoyment of finding it.

I am proud of it. I would do it again. I have no regrets. My two daughters know it is there as does my mother and of course my husband because he was there when I got it. I am not ashamed of it and it marks my personality.

But, before you do it, make sure you have thought it through. I can understand on wanting a geocaching symbol. I think it would be cool. Just like said above though, make sure you have a good artist. You don't want anything botched or ugly. Ask to see pictures of inks that they have done. They should have them. And remember, if you are serious about having it done, there is no need to drink or anything else before having it done. If you think you are big enough to have one, you should be big enough to handle the pain involved in it.

"Nice find! I must go tell Harry, Ron and Hermione."

Well I'm no advocate for a tattoo. I don't care for them myself. But, I agree with Kealia. If it's something important in your life and you want to symbolize it, then go ahead with it. I was flipping channels the other night and passed MTV. I stopped when I saw Gene Simmons from KISS on there. They were touring his house on the Cribs show. I grew up on KISS. It was my favorite band. The funny thing is that when he was closing the door at the end, he said "God Bless You". Now I never considered KISS the devils music or anything like that. But, the appearance they had given before made me think of his statement as a oxymoron. I mentioned it to my dad when they were just here and he said he saw it or something else on Gene Simmons. Said he turned his life around. I mentioned how he had the room full of KISS memorabilia and my dad said that he said it was an important time to him and part of his life. I think the same goes for your tattoo. Go for it. Years down the road, you will look at it and remember the fun times you had.

Now on the motorcycle part. I must be going through an early mid life crisis or something, because I'm starting to think a motorcycle would be nice. I never cared for motorcycles in the last 15 yrs or so, but recenetly have been diggin the HD's and choppers. I'm glued to the TV everytime OCC comes on the discovery channel and especially if I see something about Daytona and Sturgis.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

quote:
Originally posted by GeoGryffindor:

Ask to see pictures of inks that they have done. They should have them.

This would be a complete and absolute MUST! I've done work for tatoo artists and the ones that are worth touching me always had a book. Not only that, but it has to be by the artist that's going to ink you! Many studios have artists that come and go. I'd only get inked by the guy or gal that owns the place.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Now on the motorcycle part. I must be going through an early mid life crisis or something...

It's called "motorcycle menopause". Very similar to "sportscar menopause".

Okay so this is maybe a little off topic but just because you buy a motorcycle and/or a sportscar doesn't mean that you are going through a mid-like crisis. I have wanted a Mustang ever since I was 18 in the mid 80's but I am not a car guy so the old original ones were out becuase I didn't know how to fix them and I couldn't afford to pay someone to fix a twenty year old car. The new ones were out because (sorry if anyone disagrees) the 1980's Mustangs were UGLY and didn't really look like a "traditional" Mustang. Thank goodness Ford repented in the mid 90's and went back to a more traditional style. So now that I can afford one I have a Red 2000 Mustang. Unless my mid-life crisis started when I was 18 this is just a case of finally getting the car I always wanted. Do I sound a little defensive? That's what my wife says too. icon_wink.gif O well, it's a great car for urban geocaching. Not much clearance for the back roads though. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Insp Gadget:

I'm seriously thinking of getting a tattoo. Never had one in my life. I want to combine my username, Insp Gadget with the Geocaching logo.

Gadget I too have been considering a tattoo for several years now. Finally I have decided on using my Avatar for the design.

I was born with the name Lila Jean Pepper icon_eek.gif and after the death of my father the Pepper name is something that is near and dear to my heart. Geocaching for me means the birth of new person, a happy person with a not so perfect or happy past. I feel so stronly about the love of caching and what it's done for me I AM going to get it tattooed as soon as I find the right person/place to do the work.

Good luck with your tattoo and Cache On!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

I have 2 tattoo's, 1 I regret very much the other I wouldnt second guess to get done again. The first one I had done when I was 16 and its huge! (glad I dont drink anymore) its located on my left bicep and it is a oriental dragon with zero colour, the other is on my right forearm and is a bright flaming sun with my sons name on the inside radius of the circle.

"if it feels good than do it!"

quote:

Now on the motorcycle part. I must be going through an early mid life crisis or something, because I'm starting to think a motorcycle would be nice. I never cared for motorcycles in the last 15 yrs or so, but recenetly have been diggin the HD's and choppers. I'm glued to the TV everytime OCC comes on the discovery channel and especially if I see something about Daytona and Sturgis.

Brian

Well, I'm right there with ya man! I'm making my purchase end of this month or begining of next. I looked at all the Harleys, etc, and found I was not in that price range...lol. Started looking at my options and researching. Found out some very interesting facts.

Harleys now have about 52% foreign made components... I didn't know that. Especially when they are constantly blasting those who buy *foreign* bikes. So as I looked more into it, I found that Honday makes many of it's bikes right here in the USA... didn't know that either.

So, I'm buying a Honday VTX 1300C and not going the *independent* route of looking like every other Harley owner. The Harley-Lemmings as I call them. LOL. Of course, the rivalry as far as I'm concerned is all in good fun, but some of the Harley folks are really serious about that stuff...hehehehe. Just makes it more fun to poke fun, know what I mean?

As for tattoos (must say something about the actual topic, right?) I have none, even after all my years in the military. I avoided my first one after Army Basic when a bunch of the guys decided we just HAD to have one, and that was the closest I came. My dad had one, he wished he hadn't. My brother had one, wished he hadn't. My uncle had one, wished he hadn't.... you don't have to hit me in the head too many times before I get it...lol.

No tattoos for You!!!! (The tattoo nazi speaking to me).

(Although, I do have that old gunshot wound on my right upper thigh... you think that counts???) icon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

[This message was edited by Breaktrack on October 03, 2003 at 09:32 AM.]

Hey SuperGenius! Thanks for the story. I changed completly after being introduced to Geocaching. It's such a wonderful way to get out, get some excercise and the poeple I have met in the course of this game are wonderful and to numerous to name.

I'm just looking for a small tat, probably on my shoulder. As I mentioned before, I have never had a tat and so I am very pleased with the info on this thread about tattoo artists.

quote:
Originally posted by Insp Gadget:

Hey SuperGenius! Thanks for the story. I changed completly after being introduced to Geocaching. It's such a wonderful way to get out, get some excercise and the poeple I have met in the course of this game are wonderful and to numerous to name.

I'm just looking for a small tat, probably on my shoulder. As I mentioned before, I have never had a tat and so I am very pleased with the info on this thread about tattoo artists.

Nor have I ever had a tat and I am looking forward to it, maybe not the pain but final product. Now just have to decide where to put the darn thang.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

Well, I'm right there with ya man! I'm making my purchase end of this month or begining of next. I looked at all the Harleys, etc, and found I was not in that price range...lol. Started looking at my options and researching. Found out some very interesting facts.

Harleys now have about 52% foreign made components... I didn't know that. Especially when they are constantly blasting those who buy *foreign* bikes. So as I looked more into it, I found that Honday makes many of it's bikes right here in the USA... didn't know that either.

So, I'm buying a Honday VTX 1300C and not going the *independent* route of looking like every other Harley owner. The Harley-Lemmings as I call them. LOL. Of course, the rivalry as far as I'm concerned is all in good fun, but some of the Harley folks are really serious about that stuff...hehehehe. Just makes it more fun to poke fun, know what I mean?

That goes just about for everything made nowadays (foreign cars made in US and US ones made in foreign countries). I don't think I won't a showroom floor bike. I think I want something individual or less common. I guess something more customized and of course more costly. I never really thought of going back to school for anything, but the more I think about it, learning motorcycle repair might be pretty cool. I know my father in law would love it. He's always been into bikes. Both he and my bro in law raced dirtbikes and now my FIL has a BMW. Had a Harley, but wanted the BMW instead. Actually had 2 Harleys. Had the Buell for my MIL, but she never really rode it. He just sold them not to long ago.

Speaking of "bikes". Wonder if Jeremy's Vespa has a Geo logo on it...lol

Brian

www.woodsters.com

I'm sure you'll hear this from others too but head this advice:

Make sure that you see them pull out a sterile needle. Don't let them tell you that they did.

Nowhere reputable will try to hide it and most will go out of thier way to show you without you having to ask.

Still.....

Good luck!

Post a pic if you get it done!

quote:

Not sure about the GC logo, but a Travel Bug tatoo would be pretty cool. Especially if you could log it by finding you.

You would need a pretty big cache for the drop off no? lol

As far as the TAT goes , I say go for it... maybe even a little animated charactor holding a GPS...

NOSEEUMS--High Protein Low Calorie unpacked trail snacks!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

If you want a tattoo do some research. Hosestly you are better off thinking about it for awhile before doing it. The first thing that comes to mind is not always the best idea.

I would never get a tattoo of any famous person, character, or company logo. Of course that is just me. I've seen people with sports stars and actors or musicians on them. Imagine the guy that got and OJ tattoo. Do you really want the same tattoo as 200 other people that picked something they thought was cool off a flash sheet. There were a lot of bands I once liked that I'm glad I didn't get tattooed on me. I hope no one ever got an Enron tattoo. ohh.gif

I waited until I was 27 to get mine. It is this symbol on my right calf.

ka_hi.gif

My wife has a tribal dolpin on her back that we got in Hawaii. She wanted it since highschool but waited until after our wedding to get it. Well a few days after the wedding anyway. Her mothers wish for our wedding photos sake. I thought for many years about mine before I finally got it. Too bad I live in an oppressive state where I can't get another one without having to spend the day driving out of state. I'd probably have the rest I want if it wasn't such a pain to get the one I have.

-beatnik-

33476_2400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jake - Team A.I.:

A friend of mine in high school wanted to get 'USDA Grade A' like a stamp tattoo'd across his side. Every once in a while I wonder if he ever went through with it.

Jake - Team A.I.

What high school did you go to? I know someone that actually got one like that on his bum. It was brought up in high school by at least two guys but only one ever followed through.

Hope he never goes to prison. icon_eek.gif

-beatnik-

33476_2400.jpg

quote:

That goes just about for everything made nowadays (foreign cars made in US and US ones made in foreign countries).

Speaking of "bikes". Wonder if Jeremy's Vespa has a Geo logo on it...lol

Brian

Ya know, I've wondered the exact same thing myself...LOL. If those things have a windshield he could use the cling thingy I guess....lol. Or a geocaching personalized license plate....

Another question, does Jeremy have any Groundspeak tattoos???? Hmmmmmmm? Do we really want to know?????

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."