Ready-to-Stash Caches on Ebay....

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

My personal opinion is if they are too busy or too lazy to put together the cache, they are too busy/lazy to maintain it once it's placed. But thats just my opinion.

I realize that many people like to carefully select the cache items. That is terrific. Many perfectly 'responsible' cachers do not find this to be as important as you. Heck, around here people give away pre-prepared micros for cachers to place.

I can understand the importance of not starting out the cache with trash, but is it really the most important thing.

Since I believe that it is a good thing to be able to purchase a cache box such as these on eBay, you offend me by infering that I would be too lazy to properly maintain the cache. Actually, I am somewhat manic about cache maintainance.

In fact, A cacher who carefully selected the cache items and then placed it poorly or failed to maintain it would bother me much more than someone providing a service such as this that many people believe is needed and cost-effective.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I realize that many people like to carefully select the cache items. That is terrific. Many perfectly 'responsible' cachers do not find this to be as important as you. Heck, around here people give away pre-prepared micros for cachers to place.

I can understand the importance of not starting out the cache with trash, but is it really the most important thing.

Since I believe that it is a good thing to be able to purchase a cache box such as these on eBay, you offend me by infering that I would be too lazy to properly maintain the cache. Actually, I am somewhat manic about cache maintainance.

Sorry I'm having such a hard time comprehending this.

Yyou spend hours upon hours to spend finding a quality location, and getting good co-ordinates to post, right?

And you have time to go out and check all your caches on a regular basis, and restock them if they are low, right?

But, you are way to busy to spend 15 minutes in the local dollar store shopping for stuff for a new cache, even though your there anyway getting items to restock your current caches?

You are so busy in fact, your willing to PAY someone $10-15 to pick these things up for you.

You really dont care at all what you have in your cache, even if its 15 AOL discs, as long as you dont have to do it.

Did I get that basically right? I still dont comprehend it.

quote:

In fact, A cacher who carefully selected the cache items and then placed it poorly or failed to maintain it would bother me much more than someone providing a service such as this that many people believe is needed and cost-effective.

Well, we have yet to see if its cost effective or not. I'm guessing, no HOPING that the contents listed were kept vague so that as the bidding went higher, the quality of the cache went up accordingly. As it stands now, I could put together a cache that might have the items described in the auction for under $10. So if anyone wants to pay me $25 (plus shipping) for it let me know.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Let's see...why don't I tell you exactly what is in it? For a number of reasons, but the main on being I don't want to have to recode HTML every time I run the auction, I keep that in a file and launch it. So, by putting in the things that we have in inventory at all times. Sofrtware is not AOL Discs. The software would be children's titles (obviously the older less expensive stuff) or Mac software that I don't use any more (yep, gasp, used).

Other things that could get put in the Cache would be stuff from my other auctions that didn't get any bids, things that I buy for my daughter that she doesn't like, and things bought for our own geocaching.

As to shipping, of COURSE you have to pay something for shipping. I state that up front (some sellers don't / can't / won't) so that people know what they are getting into. Or, should I pay for shipping?

At $10 I break even - not including the little costs like Ebay Fees, Payment service Fees, things like that. Also, like I noted above the stuff varies in price.

I put this auction up for 2 reasons, #1 Geocaching is a fun hobby for myself and my family and I wanted to try and bring it to a wider market. #2 When I went to create my first stash I found it really hard to know what I should put into it - and thought other people would have that same problem. So, I saw a problem, and tried to solve it.

The current hit counts are over 1300. I can't say thank you enough!

Melissa

~Why is it that when we talk to God we are said to be praying, but when God talks to us we're schizophrenic?~

quote:
I don't understand why some people buy ready-made ammo cans. I like to make my own out of sheet metal. They are 'personal' that way!

that's funny ...or maybe not too funny ...after all i'm someone who turns her own fittings on the lathe if i can't find the perfect one in the hardware store ...funny how many things exist in my head that i can't find in the real world icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
I don't understand why some people buy ready-made ammo cans. I like to make my own out of sheet metal. They are 'personal' that way!

that's funny ...or maybe not too funny ...after all i'm someone who turns her own fittings on the lathe if i can't find the perfect one in the hardware store ...funny how many things exist in my head that i can't find in the real world icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MelissaRose:

As to shipping, of COURSE you have to pay something for shipping. I state that up front (some sellers don't / can't / won't) so that people know what they are getting into. Or, should I pay for shipping?

I wasn't suggesting any such thing. Of course there is shipping costs, and no you shouldn't absorb them. $5.90 sounds MORE then reasonable. What I was trying to get across was that whoever buys it has to factor the shipping into his/her total purchase price. It *IS* part of the cost of purchasing the item. I alway laugh at the people patting themselves on the back for getting something for $1 on ebay thats $5 in the store. It's like the $7 they paid for s/h doesn't count.

I understand your reason for not listing the contents, but I still think alot of potential bidders would be more comfortable knowing exactly what they were bidding on, not what they *MIGHT* be bidding on. Like I said, that line about what the contents *MIGHT* be, sets off all sorts of fraud alarms for an experienced bidder.

quote:
Originally posted by jeannine:

AHHHH.....so I'm not the only one? BTW I'm restoring a car (manufacturing parts if needed) named after your town.

quote:
Originally posted by jeannine:

AHHHH.....so I'm not the only one? BTW I'm restoring a car (manufacturing parts if needed) named after your town.

Of course, you are making a few assumptions.

You assume that the purchased cache is full of junk. If that is true, the buyer would reach into their cache bag and supplement (or replace) the contents. They would also immediately post the fact here in the forums which would dramatically reduce the bids on future units.

You assume that the purchaser would only save fifteen minutes. Actually, I would save a trip to the dollar store and the surplus store. This is would be at least an hour out of my life.

You assume that the time saved would not be worth the extra cost involved with purchasing the item on eBay.

You ignore any cost the purchaser would be willing to pay for the convenience of buying a ready-to-go cache.

Also, I'd like to remind you that since this is an item at auction, market forces will tend to ensure that a 'reasonable' price is found.

Many of you are missing what would be the biggest point for me.

That eliment of surprise, not knowing what's inside. Some people have even incorporated this into their holidays. (gift wrap)

Many people are drawn to this PHRGS because they enjoy peeking inside something that has unknown contents.

I personally may not bid but I fully support those that do and hope this is very profitable for the seller so she can continue to do this.

Everyone gets their kicks in different ways...

Look at Majicman for cryin out loud.... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

That eliment of surprise, not knowing what's inside. Some people have even incorporated this into their holidays. (gift wrap)

Many people are drawn to this PHRGS because they enjoy peeking inside something that has unknown contents.

I personally may not bid but I fully support those that do and hope this is very profitable for the seller so she can continue to do this.

Look at Majicman for cryin out loud.... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Of course, you are making a few assumptions.

You assume that the purchased cache is full of junk. If that is true, the buyer would reach into their cache bag and supplement (or replace) the contents. They would also immediately post the fact here in the forums which would dramatically reduce the bids on future units.

Years of purchasing on ebay causes me to assume the worst, and bid accordingly. If the item is better then I assumed, then I got a good deal. If it isn't well, I got what I paid for. Its a VERY common scam to mislead bidders by using vague or misleading discriptions or words. One fairly common one is to use a picture of some high dollar item in auction, and then describe it as "you are bidding on the item picture above. It is a model ABC camera/stereo/laptop/etc." Most newbies assume "picture" is a typo and should read "pictured". When you send your money, you get exactly that, a picture of the item. Another common scam is to describe it as it *MIGHT* be something. Rare, valuable, working, whatever. The catch is it also might NOT be, and usually isnt. I'm not saying Mellissa is out to defraud anyone. Just the opposite, she has a very good ebay history. Just saying that vague listings are to be watched out for. She does state in her last post, "At $10 I break even - not including the little costs like Ebay Fees, Payment service Fees, things like that. Also, like I noted above the stuff varies in price.". So the cache is worth the $10 opening bid. Anything above that is how much your willing to pay for the convienence. Thats up to you what its worth.

quote:

You assume that the purchaser would only save fifteen minutes. Actually, I would save a trip to the dollar store and the surplus store. This is would be at least an hour out of my life.

Just a different outlook on life I guess. You see it as an hour of your life wasted, I would find that same hour very enjoyable.

quote:

You assume that the time saved would not be worth the extra cost involved with purchasing the item on eBay.

You ignore any cost the purchaser would be willing to pay for the convenience of buying a ready-to-go cache.

I'm not assuming or ignoring anything. Frankly I'm just amazed by it.The "convenience" of buying a box full of unknown items just doesnt seem worth the 150% markup to me. But again, thats just me.

quote:

Also, I'd like to remind you that since this is an item at auction, market forces will tend to ensure that a 'reasonable' price is found.

Actually, your wrong here. There is a steady stream of new bidders to ebay.

One of my favorites is a seller that sells a certain series of reference books on ebay. These books are rather expensive, and not something your gonna find at a bookstore, or amazon.com. However, they ARE available direct from the publisher. The particular book I was looking for costs $49.99 + $8 s/h direct from the publisher. If you buy 2 or more the shipping costs go down. The guy on ebay starts his auctions at $49.99 + $7.50 s/h. they regularly go up to $100 by end of auction. The 1st time I laughed, but this guy sells several a week like this. He's not providing any greater convenience then the publisher. Hes just praying on a steady stream of new people who have no idea what the market value or reasonable price of this book is.

quote:
Originally posted by Isopropyl:

HEY! Don't you start using an acronym until it has been APPROVED and determined!

WAARNING! Anyone caught using this unauthorized and unapproved acronym "PHRGS" in any thread (exceptin' the one it is being discussed in) will git a severe beatin' round the head and shoulders with a rubber chicken!!!

You have been forewarned, pardners...

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by Isopropyl:

HEY! Don't you start using an acronym until it has been APPROVED and determined!

WAARNING! Anyone caught using this unauthorized and unapproved acronym "PHRGS" in any thread (exceptin' the one it is being discussed in) will git a severe beatin' round the head and shoulders with a rubber chicken!!!

You have been forewarned, pardners...

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Mopar-

I suspect that our positions are not too different.

I think that we both agree that if a bidder believed that he could buy this item (any item) at a reasonable, affordable price, he would do so.

We both agree that 'Caveat Emptor'. Is the mantra that one should use when buying any item. This is made more so when bidding on an item the specifics of which are not completely known, being sold by a stranger.

The only remaining question is 'What is the personal cost of this purchase?'

Do I add to my bid because the convenience is important to me? Do I subtract from my bid because I would be losing the ability to personally choose the items? How much should I adjust my bid because the quality of the items is unknown?

Git yer ready-made tuppercaches, git 'em while they're hot... only 25.95 per and just chuck full of stuff you don't want and I need ta git rid of!

Tuppercaches, git 'em now!

--majicman

BTW.. I LOVE beer (good beer not american lagers), but when someone tells me they brew their own beer, then I find out they bought a beer-in-a-bag kit from WalMart, it just seems hokey. Good luck on your auction, I still find it rather kitsch. I will make my own caches, and even if someone GAVE me a ready made cache, I would redo it. I like to personalize them.

And the "one or more of the following", well.. I just have to giggle at that. That is like saying: here are 20 sets of coordinates.. you may or may not find the cache at one of them. Ok I'm sorry for being a grump, it is so bloody hot.

Yes we have had some hummin heat lately.. 99 degrees yesterday INSIDE my house when I got home from work. No.. I am not whining, just wishing we'd bought that heat pump this year instead of putting it off icon_confused.gif Think I'll crawl in the freezer and make a cache out of the freezer contents: burned ice cream sandwiches, deep freeze hamburger and rock hard mixed vegetables. I might even have a spare ammo box layin around icon_smile.gif

BTW.. I LOVE beer (good beer not american lagers), but when someone tells me they brew their own beer, then I find out they bought a beer-in-a-bag kit from WalMart, it just seems hokey. Good luck on your auction, I still find it rather kitsch. I will make my own caches, and even if someone GAVE me a ready made cache, I would redo it. I like to personalize them.

And the "one or more of the following", well.. I just have to giggle at that. That is like saying: here are 20 sets of coordinates.. you may or may not find the cache at one of them. Ok I'm sorry for being a grump, it is so bloody hot.

Yes we have had some hummin heat lately.. 99 degrees yesterday INSIDE my house when I got home from work. No.. I am not whining, just wishing we'd bought that heat pump this year instead of putting it off icon_confused.gif Think I'll crawl in the freezer and make a cache out of the freezer contents: burned ice cream sandwiches, deep freeze hamburger and rock hard mixed vegetables. I might even have a spare ammo box layin around icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zzzoey:

Yes we have had some hummin heat lately.. 99 degrees yesterday INSIDE my house when I got home from work.

Now that is cause to complain. You'll take my A/C when you pry my hard boiled fingers from the thermostat. Texans will talk a good game about being able to take the heat and humidity, but we'll also pay $300 utility bills to pump the house down to 68 during the summer. My sister-in-law moved to OR last year to escape the heat (she wasn't a native Texan anyway). I'll have to call her up and giggle. I don't think their new house came with A/C. icon_biggrin.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:

Yes we have had some hummin heat lately.. 99 degrees yesterday INSIDE my house when I got home from work.

Now that is cause to complain. You'll take my A/C when you pry my hard boiled fingers from the thermostat. Texans will talk a good game about being able to take the heat and humidity, but we'll also pay $300 utility bills to pump the house down to 68 during the summer. My sister-in-law moved to OR last year to escape the heat (she wasn't a native Texan anyway). I'll have to call her up and giggle. I don't think their new house came with A/C. icon_biggrin.gif

unclerojelio

Has anybody else noticed that this indiviual has only been a member as of this month. and has no Hides or Finds under thier Belt?

Now they may have another account or don't even bother having an account to hunt. (thier busniess)

But I see someone who apperantly has never cached, selling Ready-made-Geocaches to cachers to me makes them look like opertunist(sp).

Not that it's wrong, just a little... well off.

One more revelation. If www.Geocaching.com or the Ground speaklogo is on the can doesn't that mean copyright infringment or something???

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio: Now that is cause to complain. You'll take my A/C when you pry my hard boiled fingers from the thermostat. Texans... (snip)

"If'n I ever meet one of you Texicans that ain't drunk water outta a muddy hoofprint... well, I think I'll buy him a Daniel Webster seegar!"

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

"If'n I ever meet one of you Texicans that ain't drunk water outta a muddy hoofprint... well, I think I'll buy him a Daniel Webster seegar!"

Here in Austin, if the water doesn't come in a bottle and cost more per gallon than gasoline, we don't drink it. icon_rolleyes.gif

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

Here in Austin, if the water doesn't come in a bottle and cost more per gallon than gasoline, we don't drink it. icon_rolleyes.gif

unclerojelio

Looks to me as if the seller may be bumping his own prices up. Why would the same person bid the same price on BOTH of the caches? Isn't one enough? Looks fishy to me.

I've used eBay to make profit only a couple of times. The first being when I bought 2 PS2's on launch day, kept one, sold the second (which I paid $299 for) for nearly $700!! That means that I got my PS2 for free. Not bad. The second time I sold a Nintendo Gamecube on launch day for $400 (I only paid $200), not as good of a profit, but definately enough.

I'm sort of an eBay aholic and I've yet to be screwed, so that's good I guess. I usually stick to basic things like LPs (good old vinyl) which so far have all arrived in the condition stated on eBay, and Simpons Interactive Figures (hard to find anywhere else) which have one heck of a mark-up on them. Once in awhile I'll buy random items from eBay, like shirts, movies, or games, but I am hesitant of buying from anyone with a low user rating.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

Ive only placed 2 caches so far but I have to say that thinking of a cache idea, researching the area, spending time averaging coordinates, picking out the container, picking out items to go into the container, printing out and laminating the GeoCache "please read" text, wording my text to be used on the site and hiding the cache to be the enjoyable parts for me. I wouldn't be interested in buying a premade cache.

Maybe im too laid back,,but someone else buying a ready made cache just doesnt bother me in the least. Go for it Dudes and Dudettes!!!

u icon_biggrin.gifnclerojelio: Update we are now at 102' and counting. I think my eyeballs are sweating. I moved away from the rain on the West side of Oregon, only to stumble into hell. OK it isn't that bad, but Arizona ain't got much on us during the summer. We have another wildfire burning, so to add insult to injury you get chunks of charred trees raining down on you. Looking for employment elsewhere methinks.... icon_confused.gif

Clan Ferguson: Seems fishy to me too. She did say that "Yes, I do Geocache. Under a different Email so that my daughter's hobby does not suffer from this auction (yes, I did realize there would be those who didn't like it.)." so I am not sure searching her ID would mean much. icon_rolleyes.gif Guess I am too "purist" in my caching attitude...

White rabbit: Not sure, I know some folks do that, and it is cheesy. Sometimes the ethics of folks on ebay is shocking. I used to turn in auctions to ebay of sellers who were burning CDR's of my favorite bands cds and selling them without disclosing they were burned copies. I loved Napster, still play around with WinMX.. makes me mad that greedy folks had to ruin things. I never wanted to make a profit off a song, just hear it and appreciate it. If you sell that CD you are clearly stealing money from the artist. There IS A LINE THERE.... IMHO

Anyway, enough of that rant: I guess I wouldn't put anything past someone selling stuff on ebay. I have never been burnt either, but have a friend who bid and won a 13" TV (for his shop) on ebay... wasn't offered insurance.. got it.. poured the TV out onto his counter. It was all busted up into pieces, the guy had put it in a big cardboard box, with ZERO packing. Neat, huh. He got screwed, no refund. PSST this is depressing, change of subject---

Mudfrog: sounds like you got the geocaching bug. We (illDRIVEuNav and I) are opposites. He is into the driving, hoofing around in the woods part, and the FINDING it FIRST! part.. I am into the "organizational" and "logistical" end of it. I plan the trip, make the lists, print the pages, maps, stock the cache bag, hell i even make the travel bugs.. take the dig photos, log the finds.. etc. He is a good cache spotter.. I am a good cache logger.. we fight over the GPS.. and the printout.. and NEVER think ahead and shoot a point at our truck before we bound out into the great wide open to find the MOTHER LODE. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

u icon_biggrin.gifnclerojelio: Update we are now at 102' and counting. I think my eyeballs are sweating. I moved away from the rain on the West side of Oregon, only to stumble into hell. OK it isn't that bad, but Arizona ain't got much on us during the summer. We have another wildfire burning, so to add insult to injury you get chunks of charred trees raining down on you. Looking for employment elsewhere methinks.... icon_confused.gif

Clan Ferguson: Seems fishy to me too. She did say that "Yes, I do Geocache. Under a different Email so that my daughter's hobby does not suffer from this auction (yes, I did realize there would be those who didn't like it.)." so I am not sure searching her ID would mean much. icon_rolleyes.gif Guess I am too "purist" in my caching attitude...

White rabbit: Not sure, I know some folks do that, and it is cheesy. Sometimes the ethics of folks on ebay is shocking. I used to turn in auctions to ebay of sellers who were burning CDR's of my favorite bands cds and selling them without disclosing they were burned copies. I loved Napster, still play around with WinMX.. makes me mad that greedy folks had to ruin things. I never wanted to make a profit off a song, just hear it and appreciate it. If you sell that CD you are clearly stealing money from the artist. There IS A LINE THERE.... IMHO

Anyway, enough of that rant: I guess I wouldn't put anything past someone selling stuff on ebay. I have never been burnt either, but have a friend who bid and won a 13" TV (for his shop) on ebay... wasn't offered insurance.. got it.. poured the TV out onto his counter. It was all busted up into pieces, the guy had put it in a big cardboard box, with ZERO packing. Neat, huh. He got screwed, no refund. PSST this is depressing, change of subject---

Mudfrog: sounds like you got the geocaching bug. We (illDRIVEuNav and I) are opposites. He is into the driving, hoofing around in the woods part, and the FINDING it FIRST! part.. I am into the "organizational" and "logistical" end of it. I plan the trip, make the lists, print the pages, maps, stock the cache bag, hell i even make the travel bugs.. take the dig photos, log the finds.. etc. He is a good cache spotter.. I am a good cache logger.. we fight over the GPS.. and the printout.. and NEVER think ahead and shoot a point at our truck before we bound out into the great wide open to find the MOTHER LODE. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Anyway, enough of that rant: I guess I wouldn't put anything past someone selling stuff on ebay.

I know you are hot and cranky, but thats a little harsh dont you think?

you really dont need to label all eBay sellers as dishonest. There may be some bad apples, but a little common sense goes a long way..buying and selling.

I have been selling stuff thru eBay off and on since 97 and havent had a customer complain yet. I got tired spending a bunch of time formatting html, uploading pics, typing endless descriptions just to end up giving stuff away.

If sellers wouldnt make a profit, then they wouldnt be selling there, at least not for very long! Hopefully most buyers are smart enough to weed out the dishonest ones, dont buy from them and they will leave.

C-Troop

Don't you think that accusing me of bidding on my own auction is going a bit far? If you really think that, and have anything to support such a thing, turn me into Ebay - again. Didn't work the first two time it has happened.

Also, if you really think that I rip people off on Ebay please feel free to contact the 1032+ people who have left positive feedback.

I do not use a second ID on Ebay - all my buying and selling for the last 2+ Years has been done on one ID.

Melissa

I have to agree with most people on this one. I think finding the perfect hiding spot, coming up with a theme, making the geocache, and watching what people post about your cache is just as fun as finding a cache or being the first one to a cache.

I think buying a premade cache is kinda like buying the premade peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches. Hello!?! How hard is it to make a PB&J sandwich? And now the Macaronni & Cheese that's pre-made and comes in a pouch. Where's the fun in that? I like to stir in the artificial powdered cheese product and watch the yellow noodles turn that funky color of orange. icon_razz.gif

I say we try our darndest to "non-comercialize" our great sport of GeoCaching. What's next? A webpage where you go and pick which size tupperware container you want to buy, and then get to pick from a list of 20 items which ones you want put into the cache? How will the way-cool quilt pieces or handmade items, or "personalized" items be part of the cache.

Anyways, I could rant, but I won't. I'd rather take the $20.00 (current bid) and make my own.

I have to agree with most people on this one. I think finding the perfect hiding spot, coming up with a theme, making the geocache, and watching what people post about your cache is just as fun as finding a cache or being the first one to a cache.

I think buying a premade cache is kinda like buying the premade peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches. Hello!?! How hard is it to make a PB&J sandwich? And now the Macaronni & Cheese that's pre-made and comes in a pouch. Where's the fun in that? I like to stir in the artificial powdered cheese product and watch the yellow noodles turn that funky color of orange. icon_razz.gif

I say we try our darndest to "non-comercialize" our great sport of GeoCaching. What's next? A webpage where you go and pick which size tupperware container you want to buy, and then get to pick from a list of 20 items which ones you want put into the cache? How will the way-cool quilt pieces or handmade items, or "personalized" items be part of the cache.

Anyways, I could rant, but I won't. I'd rather take the $20.00 (current bid) and make my own.

quote:
Originally posted by bradtal:

I, for one, appreciate your candor on this issue. I think the issue is not whether to commercialize, but how much to commercialize. After all, we already buy our ammo boxes and cachestache. Using your PB&J or Mac&Cheese analogies, how many of us actually bake our own bread and make our own peanut butter or jelly from scratch. These items are not difficult to make, but the commercially available versions are convenient and reasonably priced. Also, as you pointed out, when we think of Mac&Cheese, we think of the blue box, not making it from scratch.

As for handmade and personalized items, No one is suggesting that you have to use this purchased cache as is. The buyer is welcome to add or remove anything he wants. Heck, he may see something in the cache that he absolutely must have for himself.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a website that would allow us to buy a completely personalized cache for a reasonable price? If only we could have it delivered to the cache site and placed also...

Melissa-

I'm glad that your auction is doing well. I suggest that you ask the purchaser to post a link on this thread to the cache page that corresponds to these hides. Then we can all go and check out your items for ourselves.

quote:
Originally posted by bradtal:

I, for one, appreciate your candor on this issue. I think the issue is not whether to commercialize, but how much to commercialize. After all, we already buy our ammo boxes and cachestache. Using your PB&J or Mac&Cheese analogies, how many of us actually bake our own bread and make our own peanut butter or jelly from scratch. These items are not difficult to make, but the commercially available versions are convenient and reasonably priced. Also, as you pointed out, when we think of Mac&Cheese, we think of the blue box, not making it from scratch.

As for handmade and personalized items, No one is suggesting that you have to use this purchased cache as is. The buyer is welcome to add or remove anything he wants. Heck, he may see something in the cache that he absolutely must have for himself.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a website that would allow us to buy a completely personalized cache for a reasonable price? If only we could have it delivered to the cache site and placed also...

Melissa-

I'm glad that your auction is doing well. I suggest that you ask the purchaser to post a link on this thread to the cache page that corresponds to these hides. Then we can all go and check out your items for ourselves.

IF (and I'm not saying they are) the seller bumps their own price, then that's their business. A legit buyer shouldn't bid too high.

AND if a hider wants to pay $25 plus, who are we to criticize? For some, there may be a desire to hide and not seek, or to seek and not hide, or even to hide what they've sought and bought what they've hid. Hmmm... I'm confusing myself here, now. icon_smile.gif

The best thing about eBay (and America in general) is that there is always the opportunity for someone fill another's need at the price they're willing to pay.

God bless Geocaching, and God Bless America.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

IF (and I'm not saying they are) the seller bumps their own price, then that's their business. A legit buyer shouldn't bid too high.

AND if a hider wants to pay $25 plus, who are we to criticize? For some, there may be a desire to hide and not seek, or to seek and not hide, or even to hide what they've sought and bought what they've hid. Hmmm... I'm confusing myself here, now. icon_smile.gif

The best thing about eBay (and America in general) is that there is always the opportunity for someone fill another's need at the price they're willing to pay.

God bless Geocaching, and God Bless America.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:

(bigsnip) If only we could have it delivered to the cache site and placed also...

SBell111, Great idea. I would like it also if I could hire someone to go and find it for me, and when he finds the cache, he could call me on my cell phone (I'll be at home in the air-conditioned room drinkin' beer and watchin' Gilligan's Island.)

I could tell him what to write in the log books, and what item to trade. Then, he could go off to find the next commercially placed cache for me!

I figure, about $50 per cache find is what I spend it research, time, stock, etc (mainly the cost of my time) and I could pay the "official cache-finding proxy of mine" about $25 per cache and I'd make out real good.

Shoot, after a while, if he learns my preferences, I could just turn him loose for a few days and rack up the caches! Heck, in a year's time, I could be in quadroople digit finds!

Heck, I might hire one guy to place my pre-purchased caches, and two guys to hunt for them, and I could be the geo-master of Okrahoma in no time! (And what great fun!)

Ahhhh, the joys of geocaching by proxy... I can see it now!

--majicman

C-Troop wrote:

you really dont need to label all eBay sellers as dishonest. There may be some bad apples, but a little common sense goes a long way..buying and selling.>

Well, I apologize, as I didn't mean ALL sellers. Obviously I don't think that, or I wouldn't browse or buy stuff on ebay to begin with. My point (however misconstrued) was that being a fairly anonymous venue, crooked things can and do happen.

Melissa- you seem a bit touchy, sorry if you are offended. Some of us are very happy to have found this very fun sport icon_razz.gif, and are skeptical of folks trying to make money from it. The only ones who should be making money off this sport are the folks at www.geocaching.com and Groundspeak (Jeremy&co) You can say that $9.99 is your cost.. but it is quite obvious you will be making more than that. Your business, again, I repeat. You do what makes you feel good. But, since you yourself anticipated people thinking this was cheesy, dont be surprised when they do.

Well, now that I have managed to offend the entire thread... everyone have a GREAT weekend and HAPPY CACHING! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

C-Troop wrote:

you really dont need to label all eBay sellers as dishonest. There may be some bad apples, but a little common sense goes a long way..buying and selling.>

Well, I apologize, as I didn't mean ALL sellers. Obviously I don't think that, or I wouldn't browse or buy stuff on ebay to begin with. My point (however misconstrued) was that being a fairly anonymous venue, crooked things can and do happen.

Melissa- you seem a bit touchy, sorry if you are offended. Some of us are very happy to have found this very fun sport icon_razz.gif, and are skeptical of folks trying to make money from it. The only ones who should be making money off this sport are the folks at www.geocaching.com and Groundspeak (Jeremy&co) You can say that $9.99 is your cost.. but it is quite obvious you will be making more than that. Your business, again, I repeat. You do what makes you feel good. But, since you yourself anticipated people thinking this was cheesy, dont be surprised when they do.

Well, now that I have managed to offend the entire thread... everyone have a GREAT weekend and HAPPY CACHING! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Of course, many more people make a profit from the sport (ha!). This includes GSP manufacturers and sellers, ammo box sellers, dollar stores, sporting goods stores, parks which charge admission, lawyers when majicman falls off his heals and sues me for placing the cache, etc.

I'd like to weigh in on this matter and say that I find absolute nothing wrong, suspicious, greedy or overly commercial with Melissa selling a ready made cache on eBay. Sure it might be currently overpriced for some; myself included-but only because I'm extremely cheap. But it looks good, appears well made, and contains items that are far better than a lot I've seen in caches already out there. Her feedback rating is out of this world and her shipping charges are reasonable. With the credibility she has built on eBay, she has every right to be touchy for being accused of or even compared to those that bid on their own auctions.

So if I wasn't such a skinflint I might be tempted to buy one. I'm not among those who gets enjoyment from schleping to a surplus store, a dollar store, and/or a stationary store all to prepare "The Perfect Cache." So what!? If the cache is placed with creatvity I would find it hard to believe anyone would complain that the cache was impersonal. But for those of you that do decide to purchase an eBay cache I reccommend you disclose such in your cache description so as not to offend the more discriminating or demanding Geocachers out there.

Actually, I have sold 3 of them to two people. One is local - in NW Washington and has had a few finds and has gotten really good feedback / responses. On top of that the guy who bought the other 2 (the ones in this discussion) left great feedback, which is available in my feedback file. I hope that helps a little bit.... icon_smile.gif

Melissa