Ready-to-Stash Caches on Ebay....

Making your own cache is most of the fun, aside from the actual placement. Looks like someone in Blaine, WA is trying to make a few extra bucks off this sport to buy some batteries or something. The bright white on the side is rather, well, bright. Still, $9.99 isn't bad for a ammo box full of goodies.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

I guess if you can buy pre-moistened towelettes, and kits for making beer... this doesnt seem like such a stretch. I will watch to see how the bidding goes. I pay 3.99 for that size ammo can... a buck or so on the logbook... pencils pens I have millions of.. the doodads are usually free or close to it...the other doodads seem interesting... but all new.. it seems too commercialized or something. Yeah the sticker is awfully bright.. would be easy to spot.

I dont know about that. Seems like someone is trying to make a buck to me, but then as my fiance is quick to say, I see the negative pretty easily sometimes. I would be curious as to know if the person selling this is really into geocaching, or if they just thought it was a way to make some cache.

Besides I do agree, making the cache up yourself is half the fun, at least to me.

Happy Hunting,

Rusty

RW Da Man!!!

I doubt it will surprise anyone that I compare this to quilting. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think it's similar, though, in that there are people who prefer to buy quilts that are already made, and others who want a quilt with fabrics and workmanship that they have picked/created themselves.

For those who don't really care exactly what is in the cache as long as it's fairly nice stuff, the ready-made caches seem fine. (Although I agree with those who say that the labels are too bright.)

There are a few theme caches in our area, though, like "Fruit Cocktail", where a ready-made cache seems very unlikely to really fit the bill.

I like to put thought into the trade items, and carry a heavy backpack full of goodies that I think are neat. So, for me, creating an original cache would be more fun than buying a ready-made one.

Then again, I like to make my own quilts, too. icon_wink.gif

Shannah

I doubt it will surprise anyone that I compare this to quilting. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think it's similar, though, in that there are people who prefer to buy quilts that are already made, and others who want a quilt with fabrics and workmanship that they have picked/created themselves.

For those who don't really care exactly what is in the cache as long as it's fairly nice stuff, the ready-made caches seem fine. (Although I agree with those who say that the labels are too bright.)

There are a few theme caches in our area, though, like "Fruit Cocktail", where a ready-made cache seems very unlikely to really fit the bill.

I like to put thought into the trade items, and carry a heavy backpack full of goodies that I think are neat. So, for me, creating an original cache would be more fun than buying a ready-made one.

Then again, I like to make my own quilts, too. icon_wink.gif

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by rusty_da_dog:

I dont know about that. Seems like someone is trying to make a buck to me,..

Well, yeah......

They'll only make a buck if they are fulfilling a need - and if they are, then they deserve it. I think that if a raadymade cache was really unique (not like the one for sale) and I could pick it up off a store shelf - and the price was right - I might be interested.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

Some people want to eat and drive to McDonalds or have pizza delivered, others go to the fridge and start to cook. The former are more concerend about sustenance and ease of use, while for the latter it may be a matter of saving money, eating healthy, or they just enjoy the process of 'assembling' their meal. I think both have value, just as this service of providing ready-to-go caches does. Looking at the container and contents I think $10 is a pretty good deal. I would have a hard time making one of these from scratch (i.e. going out and buying all that stuff) for that amount.

Now personally I will still stick to putting together my own caches; it's more personal and I hate paying for things that I can do/make myself, even if it takes me more time. I mow my own lawn even though I could pay someone to do it for me. And yes, I cook almost all my meals at home from scratch.

if you don't care about having anything personalized. I like to put things in the caches I make that have meaning to me.. sortof dumb I know but still that is part of what makes it fun, oh yeah and lettering the cache container, writing the intro in the log book...

PS I noticed that the cache container on the page also was missing the geocaching.. in www.geocaching.com.

Sortof odd!

quote:
Originally posted by Zzzoey:

PS I noticed that the cache container on the page also was missing the geocaching.. in http://www.geocaching.com.

Sortof odd!

He probably left off the 'geocaching' to make it a little more generic in case someone from a competing site was interested. Simply a business decision to increase his potential market. As a long time ebay powerseller I seriously doubt if he will be able to sell many of them, and although he is probably making a buck on them he's not gonna get rich. Chances are he is just trying to fill a niche and make enough to cover his time.

Personally I don't think $10 is that much to pay for a ready made cache. I've been to several excellent caches that could be great caches had the hider not set out an old sandwich container full of golf balls. Even though this is a cookie cutter cache it has decent trade items and I wouldn't mind finding one. With only a smidgen of creativity it could be personallized into something quite nice.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

I have put together several caches, some were really cheap.. one cost all of $.50 to put together and a little time, then I have one that cost $2.75 for the container and several hours of my time to personalize it with something unique (cost $13.00).

This guy isnt going to get rich off the thing, I applaud his efforts to provide a viable service to those who dont really enjoy putting the actual cache together, or simply have better things to do. At $10 he's giving them away, $20 he's making a little profit, at $30 he's lookin good and everybody copies his idea which saturates the market and the prices drop back to $10 then everyone bails out cause they are losing $$

To each his own!

but he shoulda toned down that decal!

C-Troop

I agree, if you want somebody else to decide what items to put in *your* cache... $10 seems pretty cheap considering that it's in an ammo can.

I haven't hidden any caches (yet), but when I do you can be sure I'll want to pick out the items myself. Like selecting the right location, coming up with a (more or less) clever name, and wording the clues, to me it's all part of the fun. To each their own.

I'm more concerned by the come-on line:

quote:
Get started playing the fastest growing outdoor adventure game in the world; Geocaching!
I'm a newbie, but I've already read many times in various threads that it's a good idea to hunt (and find) some caches before hiding one. That seems like sensible advice to me; I expect I'll have a better appreciation for what makes a good cache (for me, at least) after I've found a bunch of them.

I've also read comments about caches that were sloppily hidden and thereafter ignored by the owner. It seems to me that there is a certain responsibility one takes on by hiding a cache, which may require the owner to repair it, relocate it, or archive it.

I hope these "InstaCaches" don't result in poorly planned caches for the low, low price of just $9.99 (plus shipping and handling).

For those items listed in the cache $10 is a steal. I easily spent $30 on a recent cache I placed.

And those items listed would make both of those caches way above average for caches around here. I don't much do it for trade items. I rarely trade unless I see something I really like or if it was an especailly good cache and I want to leave something more than just my mark.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

Well I think it's a great idea! Also I'm currently high bidder. icon_biggrin.gif I normally spend 20.00 or more on putting together a cache...not counting the dreaded trip to Walmart. If I can get this for less than 20 bucks and it is all it says it is.....I'll be a happy camper.

I also see nothing wrong with someone trying to make a buck off of this. I have often wondered why Jeremy didn't do something similar.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

Well I think it's a great idea! Also I'm currently high bidder. icon_biggrin.gif I normally spend 20.00 or more on putting together a cache...not counting the dreaded trip to Walmart. If I can get this for less than 20 bucks and it is all it says it is.....I'll be a happy camper.

I also see nothing wrong with someone trying to make a buck off of this. I have often wondered why Jeremy didn't do something similar.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:
Originally posted by nyisutter:

Do you notice that it says the cache may contain one or more of the listed items. YOu really have no idea what or how much is going to be in the cache.

I noticed that too. I also noticed that many of the items i can get 3-4 for $1 ant the local dollar tree, and many more I can get a dozen or 2 for $3-4 if I buy in that quantity online. We buy alot of stuff like that for give-aways for the kids at our weekly car cruise. Keeps them from getting bored, which keeps the parents happy. If you were hoping to sell more then one or 2 caches, you could probably put them together reasonably cheap

Illegitimus non carborundum!

The whole fun of the game is not hiding the cache but putting it together. I have seen some weird containers and some neat things in some caches that I have found. It's all about using your imagination. You get to pick out what container you want, and what you want to go into it.

You could put a cache together for about $10 dollars it depends on how much you are willing to spend and stick in the cache. How big you want your container to be, and what you want your theme to be.

Yeah, I know I haven't hidden any caches yet but I am getting started on trying to get one together and getting it hide as soon as I can.

I don't think I would buy one off of ebay unless you just wanted to see what interesting things came in it. And then you'd have to wait a week for it to arrive.

Mommy#1 icon_wink.gif

Jones Family Web

Meet STITCH, GEOSTITCH "there's one in every family".

The whole fun of the game is not hiding the cache but putting it together. I have seen some weird containers and some neat things in some caches that I have found. It's all about using your imagination. You get to pick out what container you want, and what you want to go into it.

You could put a cache together for about $10 dollars it depends on how much you are willing to spend and stick in the cache. How big you want your container to be, and what you want your theme to be.

Yeah, I know I haven't hidden any caches yet but I am getting started on trying to get one together and getting it hide as soon as I can.

I don't think I would buy one off of ebay unless you just wanted to see what interesting things came in it. And then you'd have to wait a week for it to arrive.

Mommy#1 icon_wink.gif

Jones Family Web

Meet STITCH, GEOSTITCH "there's one in every family".

quote:

Seems a little cheese-whiz to me. Putting together your own cache is a huge part of the fun of it!

If there are indeed 15 quality prizes in the cache, then I think it is not a bad deal at $10-$15. Really depends on how high the bidding goes.

I'd still prefer to stock my own cache though because I have so much stuff lying around here that I can probably pick out 15 goodies without having to buy anything. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Seems a little cheese-whiz to me. Putting together your own cache is a huge part of the fun of it!

If there are indeed 15 quality prizes in the cache, then I think it is not a bad deal at $10-$15. Really depends on how high the bidding goes.

I'd still prefer to stock my own cache though because I have so much stuff lying around here that I can probably pick out 15 goodies without having to buy anything. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Is preventing us from caching. WHY can't there be 75 degree days ALL YEAR??

Nevermind me.. I am just sitting here perspiring.

Over the forth of July weekend, we had 98 degree temperatures with high humidity, giving us a nice and hot heat index of around 105-110. Guess what, we still went out and found nearly 20 caches.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Quote of the character Lyle from the movie Blazing Saddles,

"C'mon boys...the way you're lollygaggin, you'd think it was 120 degrees.....can't be more than 114!".

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:

Suddenly there are bids stacking up. Oh well, anything to promote caching can't be bad. I prefer the green stickers myself though.. or just a black sharpie right on the ammo can.

I think the seller owes you a commission. I can't believe the small one is up to $20 + %5.90 s/h!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Seay me:

and kits for making beer...

HEY! I resemble that remark!! (I make my own beer) Helluvalot better than the budmillcoors you get at the store.

Chip

I make my own beer as well. I think the point was that making your own beer (with a recipe and your ingredients picked out from scratch from a quality brew supply house) is superior to buying a 'readymade-just add water' kit that you see at the mall. I agree, that there is no comparison to the watered down corn cereal drinks that pass as beer in this country. What was the joke about American beer and sex in a canoe? Both are... icon_eek.gif

stealyourcache.jpg

I'm not as young as I used to be...

It takes me all night to do what I used to do all night.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Originally posted by Seay me:

and kits for making beer...

HEY! I resemble that remark!! (I make my own beer) Helluvalot better than the budmillcoors you get at the store.

Chip

I make my own beer as well. I think the point was that making your own beer (with a recipe and your ingredients picked out from scratch from a quality brew supply house) is superior to buying a 'readymade-just add water' kit that you see at the mall. I agree, that there is no comparison to the watered down corn cereal drinks that pass as beer in this country. What was the joke about American beer and sex in a canoe? Both are... icon_eek.gif

stealyourcache.jpg

I'm not as young as I used to be...

It takes me all night to do what I used to do all night.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

Hey,

Since y'all have been talking about me, I though that I would pop in and say HI! That is my auction that you are discussing (thanks for the bids and the great hit count!). Now, let me clarify a few things:

First of all, please realize that I am Female. My bright labels have been brought up a few times. That is so that anyone who accidently runs across them will leave them there - and since most caches are well hidden this is not that much of a factor - oh, and did you know that labels can be removed??

The www.geocache.com is on the can, but SOMEONE turned in the auction for using that URL in the picture, so Ebay has made me change the picture. If you can read the auction it says that the URL is present.

All items are new. This is not stuff from "my junk drawer". The big cache has 20 various items, and the smaller one has 15.

The Shipping is what I actually pay FedEx - go ahead and try to ship cheaper if you can. Try it with the USPS. I'll post Zip Codes and Weights - so please refrain from making snide comments about the cost of shipping. In other words, there is no "handling" charges.

Yes, I do Geocache. Under a different Email so that my daughter's hobby does not suffer from this auction (yes, I did realize there would be those who didn't like it.).

To those who bid and viewed the auction, I thank you again, and look forward to doing business!

Melissa

PS - All other questions can be sent to me via email, or on here. mrdejong1@attbi.com

quote:
Originally posted by MelissaRose:

The Shipping is what I actually pay FedEx - go ahead and try to ship cheaper if you can. Try it with the USPS. I'll post Zip Codes and Weights - so please refrain from making snide comments about the cost of shipping. In other words, there is no "handling" charges.

Well, since I am the only one who brought up the shipping charges, I guess your talking about me. It was not a "snide comment" at all. I was just mentioning the fact that after all the bidding is said and done, you STILL have to add shipping on to it. So the total cost of the small ammo can and 15 unknown items is now over $26. Since no experienced business person is going to make a product and sell it for less then their cost, I can assume you wouldn't have lost money if the bidding had not gone over $10. Now, I enjoyed picking out the things I've placed in my caches, but if someone else would rather pay $16 to have someone do it for them, thats fine. My personal opinion is if they are too busy or too lazy to put together the cache, they are too busy/lazy to maintain it once it's placed. But thats just my opinion.

The only real "problem" I have is the vague way the contents is listed. "May include one or more of the following" sends up all sorts of red flags. As someone else mentioned, software CD could be a free AOL disc, and there COULD be 15 of those in the cache, and you wouldnt have lied. Why not just tell us exactly what you would like us to bid on so we can decide for ourselves what it's worth and how high to bid?