Writing a good hint and other suggestions...

Seth!

Now that I've logged my 100th geocache, I feel I'm ready to post a few helpful hints. These will be good for those just starting out but also for many with more experience. The first is:

How to write a good hint!

When I place a geocache, I place it so that other geocachers can find it. Nobody likes to log a "not found". That's just not fun. But I also want to avoid accidental finds and plundering. Plus, I know that a variety of levels of difficulty are important to the sport. So how do I accomplish all of these goals? BY WRITING A GOOD HINT! My rule of thumb (and I hope that this will be yours) is that the hint should lead the person right to the geocache if he or she is within 50-100 feet. Why? Because a good geocacher can get that close without the hint. After that, there are too many variables, not the least of which is signal quality. People don't have to use the hint. But if they are within 50 feet and just cannot find it, do I want them to go home empty-handed or do I want to offer some help? It's the sporting thing to do.

Here is an example of a good hint:

"At the base of the large fallen tree, under some leaves."

That's a clear, concise hint that will help a geocacher as long as there is not a multitude of large fallen trees.

Here are some examples of bad hints:

"Located in Jellystone Park" (No kidding! Just how far off do you think my GPS got me?!)

"Take exit 46, then left at the gas station." (That would have been helpful an hour ago, but now I'm knee deep in mud, 50 feet from the darn cache!)

This one is also less than helpful:

"Look 12 feet west of the trail." (Okay, I guess I assumed that it wasn't in the middle of the trail. Now I know on which side to look. Too bad the trail is 3 miles long.)

Beware of hints that have multiple solutions. I wish I had a dollar for every hint that says something like "by the crossed trees" when there are 38 pairs of crossed trees in a 40' radius! Bottom line: Make sure that your hint meets the 50-100 foot rule and is unambiguous.

Spelling!

Folks, let's try to spell words correctly. Typos in log entries are forgivable. Typos in geocache descriptions are annoying. Typos in geocache names are crimes against humanity! If you aren't sure, ask someone. Proofread. Don't be afraid to go back and edit your page if you find an error or if one is pointed out to you. I'll sleep better and so will you.

Ammo Boxes

I love ammo boxes as geocache containers. But please paint over the ammunition label! Simply adding the words "geocache" is not enough. If someone finds your geocache and it says "50 cal. ammo for XYZ gun" on the side, that sets off alarms, baby! Your best bet is some olive drab camouflage spray paint. It's awesome. You can actually find this in many regular paint departments. If not, some other natural (e.g. green, brown) color will suffice.

Happy geocaching everyone!

- Seth!

Good points ... although, on the hints ... less than clear clues ... the kind that sometimes make sense only after you've solved the puzzle ... have their place as well (actually I kind of like some of the one's I've found).

Spelling ... some how I knew when I clicked your profile ... you would be a teacher ... so "thunk you fur your consern and i'll treye to du butter." icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

Good points ... although, on the hints ... less than clear clues ... the kind that sometimes make sense only after you've solved the puzzle ... have their place as well (actually I kind of like some of the one's I've found).

Spelling ... some how I knew when I clicked your profile ... you would be a teacher ... so "thunk you fur your consern and i'll treye to du butter." icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

hints are nice for second attempts only icon_cool.gif

i dont usuals read the discriptions and hints on my first outing icon_eek.gif

on first try i usualy just download to eastgps upload to gps download to my map software then print and go for it it's more of a challenge that way icon_razz.gif

for the second attempt i print the discriptions and hints so i will be more likely to find it and not feel bad aboute it being a no find icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

----------------

73s from kd7mxi

TERRA UTAH USA

----------------

146.520 simplex

frs-1 no pl

cb-19 am

-----------------

hints are nice for second attempts only icon_cool.gif

i dont usuals read the discriptions and hints on my first outing icon_eek.gif

on first try i usualy just download to eastgps upload to gps download to my map software then print and go for it it's more of a challenge that way icon_razz.gif

for the second attempt i print the discriptions and hints so i will be more likely to find it and not feel bad aboute it being a no find icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

----------------

73s from kd7mxi

TERRA UTAH USA

----------------

146.520 simplex

frs-1 no pl

cb-19 am

-----------------

I think hints should be a part of the story that relates to the Cache. Some give good information such as how long the hike is etc.

Seth here is a sample of the hints that I've used.

The Sage Points the Way :

If you get befuddled or confused, at your request I will be able to E-Mail you map sections that may help solve this puzzle.

El Diablo:

Why the name "El Diablo" Because WAR is HELL, and we should remember the cost of such tragedies. This cache was created at 1100 hrs, on the 11th. day of the 11th. month Year of 2001 in honor of those who are VETERANS. Walk this trail and enjoy your freedoms that they have given to you. Remember there are some who will never be able to enjoy the freedoms you have, for they gave so you may enjoy!!

Clogh Feish:

GPS may have some error in it, the accuracy could be off. Look alongside the road and think of some famous miners. Theirs was the real "School" of hard rock. I really mean rock not nocks. This could be be the clue that will give you your final "Grade"

The Scion:

More information on who I am can be found at N40 23.797 W105 04.397. After you visit me go to the clerk they have some information on me. While you are there you should see the other sights as well.

Out of the Blue:Respice finem. Requiescat in pace.

UTM - Up the Mountain:

It takes about 5 hours to hike to trail. Bring a lunch, and enjoy the view. Don't forget your binoculars.

A Lost Art: Hop, Hop, Choo, Choo, Bow, Bow!

Homestead Part II: See the Sage he has the resources.

Tour thru Time: See the Sage he has all the reference. And if you wish go visit OPIE

Corey's Safari:

Some cameras have telephoto lenses so the locations could be a distance from the coordinates, but not that far that you can't see them. You will have to park and walk a distance of about half a mile to find one of the titles.

The "Bushwhacker"

I don't know how others feel about this, but for my sanity and well-being PLEASE keep your hints fairly BRIEF! Do not ramble... I'm sitting on a rock trying to do the ROT-13 Shuffle while getting eaten up by mosquitos, and I'd rather not take all day. I have actually had to walk in a circle while decoding a hint, just to keep from being eaten alive.

Also, a two-stage hint is nice. Part one can be cryptic, vague, etc. It won't ruin it, but it might help ya if you're close. Part two would be a direct spoiler, for when you're totally stumped. Many times I've wished for a two-part hint like that, since the one hint given is either worthless or TOO helpful.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

Martinp13,

The two-part hint is a great idea. It will satisfy the most people - those who don't want a spoiler in the hint and those that may need a spoiler. As Seth said at the beginning, this is supposed to be fun. For me, after driving an hour to get to a cache and then hiking to it, finding one is a lot more fun than not finding one.

I'm not saying I HAVE to find the cache, but give me the option.

I have a gripe with folks who use metaphors or puzzles for clues. that isnt a clue, its just further frustration. I try to give good hints. When placing a cache I always have a pad for notes. I look for something unique about the hiding spot so there will be no ambiguity in my cheat. If need be I create a unique indicator.

this is unless of course we are placing a really tough cache with a 4+ difficulty. Then I think that the seeker is on their own, and they have been warned by the fact that the difficulty was set that high.

Hmm, I'm kind of torn on this one. Some people decrypt the hint ahead of time, so I'm wary of spitting out the exact location. I guess I'll have to make better use of the multi-part hints. There's another site which does this automatically, which is nice, except that not many people use that site still.

I have believed that the hints were to give you pretty good aid to find the cache. I posted a similar topic several weeks ago. My feeling is that novices can quickly get discouraged by not founds. On the other hand, experienced hunters like a good challenge. I think all this can be reflected by accuracy of the overall and terrain rating system. Maybe another level like novice, intermediate and expert could be used.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Well, I'm repeating myself (from a previous thread), but I do not feel that every cacher must be guaranteed a find on every cache they can physically approach. I do not think that hints are required. When they ARE offered I do not think they must take one by the hand and lead one to the cache. They are called HINTS not solutions! I know it can be frustrating to fail or to have to try more than once. I've done it. But I don't think that's a problem if it happens once in a while. There are caches I can't physically get to, why shouldn't there be caches I can't get my mind around?

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Seth!,

Sure, I can and DO skip reading the hints. Standard practice for me. I thought you were approaching this from the perspective of how to CREATE an appropriate cache listing, not how to HUNT from a cache listing. If cache hiders want to give huge hints, that's their business. My impression from reading your initial post was that you believed there was a particular way that a cache hider should write hints. For example:

quote:
My rule of thumb (and I hope that this will be yours) is that the hint should lead the person right to the geocache if he or she is within 50-100 feet.

I am offering a dissenting opinion. I don't think the hint should lead the person to the cache. I think hiders should feel free to offer as much or as little help as they desire. I do agree that hints can be unworthy of decrypting... "look under the rock" in a large rockfield is not helpful. If that's all the help they desired to offer, the hider should have just passed on hints altogether.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

My rule of thumb (and I hope that this will be yours) is that the hint should lead the person right to the geocache if he or she is within 50-100 feet.

- Seth!

Yes and no. It depends on the cache. If I design a cache with the intent of making it an easier cache (difficulty 1), I agree. However, if I design a cache to be harder, then I am under no obligation to give away the answer. I want some of my caches to be hard enough that not everyone that owns a GPSr can find it! I don't want to lead people by the hand on all of my caches. If I've got a 3 or higher on the difficulty, giving too easy of a clue will reduce the difficulty to a 1, and I don't want to do that! I'd rather make them think, or not find it.

25021_1200.gif

I have gotten into the habit of bringing a pad when I hide a cache. I take notes of the area, complete with coordinates, unique geological features, landmarks, etc. When I get home a type up a word doc and save the file for future use. I never give it all away on the cache description page, just a few helpful hints. If however a cacher logs a no find and emails me looking for additional clues, I can refer to that doc and give pretty useful info. Try remembering detailed info of a cache location 6 months after you hid it! Easier to document it.

I thought difficulty played a role. If I'm going after an urban 1/1 and I can't find it, I certainly don't want a hint that gives me direction to the park. I want a hint that says the micro is velcro'd to the bottom of the trash can. If I'm going after a 5, I don't expect a hint to be given.

I've hidden caches because I want people to be able to find them. When I have trouble finding caches from a certain person, I stop looking for caches they hide, even if they are near-by.

IMO, a cache difficulty of 1 deserves a blatant hint. "Under a rock at the base of the middle mesquite." A level two deserves a slightly harder clue, "In the shade of a mesquite." etc.

then you should say so in the description of the geocache. Those who disagree with my original post might consider including a caveat that says, "The hint will not help you find the geocache." I believe that it is quite possible (and likely) that a good hint will lower the difficulty level. I can understand why some hiders would not want to do that, so perhaps indicating this would be a thoughtful thing to do.

An aside: In these parts (Pacific NW), a lot of our higher difficulty geocaches involve having to do tasks before the hunt, e.g. solving puzzles, geometry problems, research, etc. Once you've done the hard part, then finding the box is relatively simple. Especially if there is a good hint.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with an opinion. I think that my original post taken with the responses will help geocachers make informed and thoughtful decisions about writing hints.

(I guess my thoughts on ammo cans and spelling met with more approval. icon_wink.gif )

then you should say so in the description of the geocache. Those who disagree with my original post might consider including a caveat that says, "The hint will not help you find the geocache." I believe that it is quite possible (and likely) that a good hint will lower the difficulty level. I can understand why some hiders would not want to do that, so perhaps indicating this would be a thoughtful thing to do.

An aside: In these parts (Pacific NW), a lot of our higher difficulty geocaches involve having to do tasks before the hunt, e.g. solving puzzles, geometry problems, research, etc. Once you've done the hard part, then finding the box is relatively simple. Especially if there is a good hint.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with an opinion. I think that my original post taken with the responses will help geocachers make informed and thoughtful decisions about writing hints.

(I guess my thoughts on ammo cans and spelling met with more approval. icon_wink.gif )

Okay, this looks like a good place to get some (constructive?) criticism on the hints and photos I've placed on two recently-approved caches. Do you think, given the difficulty ratings, that the hints and photos are appropriate?

The caches are TA-AN Forest Park Micro and Lumphini Park Micro.

Please feel free to critique publicly. I can take it, and perhaps we can all learn something from it.

Thanks.

Worldtraveler