What Navigation screen is best?

Guest bearboy

Guest k2dave

I use the map screen (w/ topo) then switch to the compass mode when close.

THe map screen has a distance to cache (mi or ft) and a direction arrow (simular to the compass but shows the direction to the cache relative to track)

[This message has been edited by k2dave (edited 19 August 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

When I want to see where I've been walking, I'll switch to the map. Sometimes I'll use the compass screen, too. Usually I stick to the "large print" screen on my MAP 330, since it gives me bearing and distance, and I usually do the rest with my compass.

(On the highway, I'll leave it on the large display screen until I hit city streets. Then I swing over to the map screen.)

Guest arffer

I only use the track screen (its the same as the map screen others have mentioned, without the map overlay). Once I get within 150' though, the only part of the track screen I use is the distance and bearing, and I do the rest with my compass.

Guest Markwell

On my eTrex, I use the "relative compass" screen - shows direction, distance, etc. as an arrow. I only use the bread crumb screen (man-overboard screen) for back tracking to my car.

I have been known to switch to the bread crumb screen on caches that I've plodded all over the forest looking for, just to see if there's an area that I haven't been to yet. That's how I eventually found "Hawg" cache in Tennessee. I just couldn't believe the cache was where it actually was.

On the eTrex, the only screen that really gives you bearing and distance is the compass-type screen, unless you're driving. The bread crumb screen doesn't give good enough resolution to effectively show where you are in relation to the cache.

Guest GrouseTales

I exclusively use the "plotter" screen, with mapping.

I like to see my relative position to the cache.

The bottom of the display indicates my bearing and distance.

I use my compass to keep following the bearing the GPS displays.

I usually take the GPS out of the belt holster and take a reading. I then put it back on my hip and follow the compass for a couple hundred yards. Take the GPS back out and get a new bearing and follow that new heading.

Once within a few yards of the cache, I focus on the plotter screen to home in on the cache.

Guest bunkerdave

I will progress from the map screen to the compass screen to the Lat/Lon screen, as I get closer. Sometimes I will find it before I even switch to the compass screen, and sometimes I have to zero in using the coords. Just depends on the hide. In super heavy cover, I will have to break out my magnetic compass and shoot a bearing and step off the distance. The MAP330 does quite well in cover, however, and I have only done this maybe a dozen times.

I use the road screen on my Mag 410 while driving to the parking area. Then I use the compass screen in conjunction with a Silva magnetic orienteering compass. I rubber band its base plate under the GPS with the compass needle then being out in front of the antenna. To use it, I rotate the entire GPS/compass assembly until the GPS compass-screen N/S line parallels the direction that the mag compass needle is pointing (north). That orients the GPS rosette to north so its target arrow then points right toward the cache. The Mag 410 also has a sun (and moon) icon on that screen. Pointing the sun icon toward the sun orients the rosette to north, and so orients the cache icon/arrow to the cache. I read the distance off that screen. Lately I sometimes read the bearing to the cache also and set it into the compass to take a better sight. In heavy cover, I'll find a clearer spot, read a bearing and distance, set it into the compass and pace it off in that direction. I've never used the map screen geocaching. I probably ought to try it.

[This message has been edited by Don&Betty (edited 21 August 2001).]