Radio mentions.

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

This morning, the DJs on one of my local radio stations were doing one of those "question of the day" things, and the question was, "What do you collect?" Naturally, I called in (following the usual trick: dial right as they finish talking to someone).

What do I collect? I collect little trinkets and things that I get out of geocaches! What's that? Well, it's a fun game where you use a GPS receiver (you know, one of those things that tells you exactly where you are anywhere) to go out and find things that other people have hidden. What have I found? (I mentioned the cool stuff, and they really thought a bag of shredded money was cool.)

Anyway, it was only about a minute and a half or so, but several tens of thousands of people have now at least heard of something called geocaching, and who knows, maybe one or two might try to find out more (we could use more here in Louisiana).

So, has anyone else used tactics like these to get geocaching mentioned on the radio? icon_smile.gif (Now if only I can start dropping ideas in the ears of people at the paper and local TV stations... if we could get an actual article or local news story, we could really be going somewhere.)

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

So, has anyone else used tactics like these to get geocaching mentioned on the radio?

I've managed to get our local talk radio to do an interview but I don't think it made any difference unfortunately. So I started distributing pamphlets to outdoor shops last week. Distributed about 1200 so far, but there is place for another 2000 which I'll do this weekend. I think this will probably have the best response ...

That radio interview is on the press page (http://www.geocaching.com/press.asp):

"Interview between Cape Talk presenter Kieno Kammies and Prof Charles Merry of University of Cape Town on Cape Talk radio (567 AM) in South Africa, May 3 2001 at 1330 GMT+2. www.capetalk.co.za. Duration is 7 minutes 32 seconds. Listen now (mp3)."

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Latrom

I read an article somewhere on the internet about a guy that called his local news paper to inform them of the Geocaching sport. They did a short story on one of his hunts. He said that shortly within the next month or so he saw an explosion of several caches appear in his area. I've personally thought of doing such a thing myself just to see if I can get similar results.

http://k2.kirtland.cc.mi.us/~salesj/geocache.html