Web page

Criminal

You still have to buy your Site Name about $35.00 per year. I am not familar with the company you mentioned. I use Hosting U I opted for a high end package so I have a web store, chat room, 100 email addresses, forums and tons of space for files and graphics.

The base rate is only $6.95 per month and that includes domain name registration. Pop-Ups are your choice not theirs. I hate the things almost as bad as SPAM and refuse to put them on my site.

I am not associated in any way with Hosting U except that I use the service. Your results may vary etc...

Vini Vidi Velcro I came I saw I stuck around Capn Skully

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

000domains.com charges you $13.50 per year on domains.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

OK, pretend for a minute that I'm an idiot and don't know what a "domain" is exactly. I know I need a name like XXX.com, and I need someplace to put my data, like a server. Does all that come for the $13.50?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:

Jeremy Irish

OK, pretend for a minute that I'm an idiot and don't know what a "domain" is exactly. I know I need a name like XXX.com, and I need someplace to put my data, like a server. Does all that come for the $13.50?

For $6.75 per month / (lower rate if you pay per year) at Hosting U you get everything you need, domain name and server. I am just suggesting approch it like geocaching. Read the FAQ at both sites, study the sites and see what they offer. If you have questions send me an email. I have used the hosting service for a year now and I have some experience. I know Jeremy does too of course.

Capn Skully

Vini Vidi Velcro I came I saw I stuck around

My only requirement is there are no popup ads or other advertising that will show up on my page. Centurytel, my ISP, gives me 5Megs, but I cannot use it commercially. 5 megs ain't much. doteasy seems to have no ads but even if I register my name, they will charge a transfer fee. I sent them an email yesterday because there is an option for $3+ a month that has something to do with FrontPage, my Q was do I have to pay to build and transfer my pages on FrontPage. The fastest way for me to learn this stuff is to do it, it be a rocky road to learning though.

Well I always use godaddy.com to register my domain names. They do, do hosting but I use them just to handle my domain names since it's only 9 bucks and I've have great experiences with them over the years. I have a large account with dixiesys.com which I can host over 20 sites. The prices with dixiesys are good and have good experiences with them as well. Just registered floridacachers.com with godaddy.com and it's not sitting on a dixiesys.com server. Check it out if you like.

I have domain name registered with GoDaddy.com for $8.95 a year and the site hosted at Global Internet Solutions for $95.40 a year. I get 500 meg server space, 45 gig bandwidth, unlimited pop email accounts. Frontpage extensions are there if you want them but you don't need to use frontpage. Both companies have 24/7 support. I just moved my website a couple months ago because my last host had an exceptional amount of down time. Global hasn't been down once yet, knock on wood.

I have no connection to any of these companies other than I use their services and they gladly take my money.

Criminal- I just checked available domain names and criminal is already taken in all domains. Criminal-page is still available in all domains including net.

Good luck at moving your site.

quote:

Jeremy Irish

I can do one better.

$8.95 for one year at godaddy.com, discounts for more than that.

I have several domains registered through them and can recommend them highly.

For hosting, I don't know about the company you mentioned, but I have used ezpublishing.com for several years, and have no complaints what-so-ever. Very good company.

Later: And then I notice a couple people already mentioned godaddy. Oh well. Now can everyone pretend that I'M not an idiot? Please?

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

[This message was edited by skydiver on February 27, 2003 at 08:17 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

Later: And then I notice a couple people already mentioned godaddy. Oh well. Now can everyone pretend that I'M not an idiot? Please?

I wouldnt say that. It's always nice to hear other people's comments, even if it's to repeat what is already said. At least it re-enforces the point.

So... I can purchase a domain name... then point that name to my my present web page, and to all the world my web page is now XXXXXXXX.com ?????

Then for a small fee I can have my own created named e-mail address at the same XXXXXXXX.com ????

Thus I would not have to state all my long lettered/numbered mumbo-jumbo current location to pass along my web page address ???

... for about 85¢ a month ???????? !!!! I can dig this!!

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

quote:
Originally posted by poksal:

So... I can purchase a domain name... then point that name to my my present web page, and to all the world my web page is now XXXXXXXX.com ?????

Then for a small fee I can have my own created named e-mail address at the same XXXXXXXX.com ????

Thus I would not have to state all my long lettered/numbered mumbo-jumbo current location to pass along my web page address ???

... for about 85¢ a month ???????? !!!! I can dig this!!

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

First question: Yes godaddy and many other hosting companies offer domain fowarding for domains bought through them. Now I know it is free for them to "foward" domain names. For example if your current page is www.longdomainname.com/myname and you purchased the domain name www.shortname.com through godaddy and had them forward the domain name. When someone typed www.shortname.com the Address would automacticly change to www.longdomainname.com/myname.

Now if you want another type of fowarding called "Masking" they charge another 6 bucks a year. But basicly when someone typed www.shortname.com the address bar would stay www.shortname.com and the visiter wouldnt even see the address www.longdomainname.com/myname

Second Question: Most domain register companies (including godaddy) offer email accounts as well so you could have myname@shortdomain.com if you wanted. I know that godaddy offers one box for $10 bucks a year.

I hope this answered some of your questions.

Orions

quote:
Originally posted by Capn_Skully:

You still have to buy your Site Name about $35.00 per year. I am not familar with the company you mentioned. I use http://www.hostingu.com I opted for a high end package so I have a web store, chat room, 100 email addresses, forums and tons of space for files and graphics.

The base rate is only $6.95 per month and that includes domain name registration. Pop-Ups are your choice not theirs. I hate the things almost as bad as SPAM and refuse to put them on my site.

I am not associated in any way with http://www.hostingu.com except that I use the service. Your results may vary etc...

_Vini Vidi Velcro I came I saw I stuck around Capn Skully_

OK, I'm setting up a site for someone, so I figured I would check out some of the hosting companies others here recommend. I noticed your www.simplysailing.com site is suspended, Skully. Is there a problem with the host?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Thanks to all. The 99 cent place only offers 5 megs, what I already have. The other two seem like a good deal. I'm assuming that by "FrontPage extentions" they mean using FrontPage to build and transmit pages to their server, right? I'll be giving it some thought and decide soon.

I've been using www.tera-byte.com They have GREAT prices, but I admit the service was a bit off. They have done some upgrades, and since the new year have been much better. I have the 4U plan, which is hard to beat for $100 a year. If its for a biz, maybe look elsewhere, but for something noncritical like a home page or club page, if it goes down for 5 minutes a week, who cares? (btw, it hasn't gone down at all this year, and I have a script that pings it every 10 minutes to check)

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

The host part is web hosting.

Here is the link

I have a great setup, and would be willing to discuss a deal for geocachers. And, hey, if the server goes down, you know where to find me. icon_wink.gif

I teach web design for a living, and one advantage of using my service is the ability to bend my ear when you are stuck with something.

I don't really limit the storage or bandwidth for most accounts, unless you are running some big numbers and then we can always work something out.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice that anyone that caches less than you do is a moron, while anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac? -Dru Morgan

If you have a cable modem (or other broadband connection), you might want to look into dynamic hosting services such as Dynamic DNS.

Also, I saw someone mention forums in an earlier post... If you're interested in hosting your own forum (very similar to the Groundspeak forums), check out Snitz 2000. It is a FREE download that runs on Access, MySQL and MSSQL7/2000. You can check it out and/or download the pages from the previous link, or you can see the site I've set up by following this link. By the way, the site is coded using Active Server Pages.

Good luck...

Happy Hunting!

~ bcj19

I just visited the webpage of a local cacher looking for ideas. I immediately got slapped with two pop-up ads. icon_frown.gif I can overlook that that though, hey, nuttin’s free. They are supposed to have pics, videos, and the whole shebang. When I clicked one of their internal links, I got two more ads! icon_mad.gif Well, that ended my session on their webpage, I’m not going to fight off a barrage of annoying advertising.

My project to move my site is on hold during my out-processing (cross your fingers they don’t start a stop-loss!) but the overwhelming support and info from this thread are much appreciated. I am leaning towards HeavenlyHost right now. I’ll post again when I’m ready to move.

Thanks!

quote:
Does anybody actually click on those??

One of the classes for my Bachelor's degree required me to do surveys. One of my surveys was designed around annoying advertising. We found that about a quarter of people actually click on ads. A smaller number actually bought something (10% or so). So if 1000 people see it, 250 click on it, and 25 of those buy something. That is more than enough for advertisers to keep using them. The only way to make them go away is for everyone to stop clicking ads.

--------------------------------------------

This signature line intentionally left blank

I built a family page for one of my co-workers and he has it hosted through Doteasy. Everything went smooth as silk when I set up the account and uploading to their servers was a breeze. You can see his page at www.olejnikfamily.com. He has since figured out how to do his own maintenance on the site so I am no longer involved, but, I have to say that their service was great.

By the way, he paid $95.00 for 5 years of domain ownership and the hosting is free! icon_cool.gif

I can go anywhere!! ... (if my wife lets me)

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Criminal, are you sure you want to use your name as your domain? I think the feds would be interested in watching whoever runs http://www.criminal.com icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------------

This signature line intentionally left blank

No, Criminal was my knickname in C-141's, I just carried it over with me to geocaching. (partly because of the quasi-legality of the game)

I have another name in mind for my webpage, it's available.