PDA Utilities for Geocaching

Glorfindel

I know there are already tons of threads dealing with this topic, but as I look for info I get lost in the divergent tracks leading down paths of memory size, screen color, etc.

Let's list the PDA apps we use to help us cache. Links for the downloads would be cool too.

I have just started using my PalmVx to supplement my caching. Right now I use AvantGo to download the geocaching.com info of local caches. I am not downloading the straight geocaching.com pages. I am using a service from Brian Scearce he give for finding his Travel Bugs. View his service here >>

I have also tried an app called GPS Hunter Get it here >>. I never paid for it and let it expire though as I didn't end up using it that much. It's mainly for taking notes about at cache once at the spot, like coordinates, took, left, etc...

Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

I use the Geocaching Database by DougsBrat. Get it here.

It allows you to enter all the needed info from the cache page, has a taken/left section for each cache as well as a doodle pad for each cache and a notes section. The new color version looks great although it is not available for download yet.

Sea Wolf of The Wolfpack

Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy and a PDA software developer named Kjeld have put together the perfect compliment to the pocket queries. First, with Kjeld's Cetus project, you can get a great, simple 'arrow' tracker to waypoints. Warm Fuzzies then created a website where you can take the .loc file from a pocket query, upload it to his converter site, and it immediately converts the .loc file into a .prc file which can then be read by Cetus.

It's still developing and there are some glitches... like on my Visor Deluxe with Magellan GPS Companion, the program doesn't tell the GPS that it's active, so it shuts off every two minutes. Also, maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a 'distance to waypoint' on the latest beta release of Cetus.

A very cumbersome program, yet extremely useful is Mapopolis. You can find a location using coordinates to get you within a reasonable distance from the cache, and use the onboard turn-by-turn directions (if you subscribe to the Platinum series of maps).

Recently I went on a clearance sale rampage and bought a new Memplug for my 64MB Compact Flash card to store all my maps, an Eyemodule2 to take pictures of the cache, a Targus Stowaway Keyboard to type my cache find in the nice airconditioned comfort of my car, and today I bought a nice Bumper Case so THIS doesn't happen again (See May 7 log)!

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

Also, maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a 'distance to waypoint' on the latest beta release of Cetus.

It shows up on the waypoint screen by default. To get it on the Navigate screen, drop down the View menu and pick "Destination". That'll also give you a bearing suitable for use with a real compass.

And all the important work was Kjeld's. I just wrote a little script to connect the dots.

warm.gif

I use my Visor Platinum to take notes with me on the cache or benchmark I'm visiting (basically, I just cut and paste the whole text content of the description from the web page into the memo application in my Palm Desktop, hotsync and take it all with me.) I also use the built in memo app to take notes for my caching logs.

I use the Magellan GPS Companion springboard module and the Nav software that came with it for the GPS part. I am still learning it but so far I like it a lot.

I have an eyemodule springboard module for taking pics, although I often have my digital camera with me and use that when I do. I also have a really *cool* flexible rollup keyboard for typing in comfort from Man and Machine and a backup module in case I have to hard reset at an inconvenient time away from my computer. I've had to hard reset once far away from home and was dead in the water without my data and applications till I got home and could hotsync. Not fun, so I bought the backup module to carry with me and now I don't have to worry about it.

I also have an Active Armor case for my visor, and use the neck lanyard to keep my hands free and keep my visor from being dropped while hiking. I've even put it to the test - accidentally dropped my visor on the concrete in a parking lot the other day while taking it out of my backpack and it didn't even faze it.

I use Mapopolis on occasion, mostly for finding my way to the general area. I have AvantGo installed and use that to take weather reports and such with me. I uninstalled it for a while, but after getting stuck out in the boonies not too long ago, I decided that it would be a good idea to have it back again.

My Visor is definitely my number one geocaching tool - it does pretty much everything to get me there and back again except drive the car. icon_wink.gif

Teresa (Adovbs)

The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth.

[This message was edited by adovbs on August 17, 2002 at 07:34 PM.]

I use my Visor Platinum to take notes with me on the cache or benchmark I'm visiting (basically, I just cut and paste the whole text content of the description from the web page into the memo application in my Palm Desktop, hotsync and take it all with me.) I also use the built in memo app to take notes for my caching logs.

I use the Magellan GPS Companion springboard module and the Nav software that came with it for the GPS part. I am still learning it but so far I like it a lot.

I have an eyemodule springboard module for taking pics, although I often have my digital camera with me and use that when I do. I also have a really *cool* flexible rollup keyboard for typing in comfort from Man and Machine and a backup module in case I have to hard reset at an inconvenient time away from my computer. I've had to hard reset once far away from home and was dead in the water without my data and applications till I got home and could hotsync. Not fun, so I bought the backup module to carry with me and now I don't have to worry about it.

I also have an Active Armor case for my visor, and use the neck lanyard to keep my hands free and keep my visor from being dropped while hiking. I've even put it to the test - accidentally dropped my visor on the concrete in a parking lot the other day while taking it out of my backpack and it didn't even faze it.

I use Mapopolis on occasion, mostly for finding my way to the general area. I have AvantGo installed and use that to take weather reports and such with me. I uninstalled it for a while, but after getting stuck out in the boonies not too long ago, I decided that it would be a good idea to have it back again.

My Visor is definitely my number one geocaching tool - it does pretty much everything to get me there and back again except drive the car. icon_wink.gif

Teresa (Adovbs)

The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth.

[This message was edited by adovbs on August 17, 2002 at 07:34 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

And all the important work was Kjeld's. I just wrote a little script to connect the dots.

Don't care. You da man!

J/K. I do care. Kjeld has come up with a great program. And your connecting those tiny dots has made a BIG difference.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!