This is nuts!

I am not sure if caches like this should be approved. He was never at the finally resting place of the cache.

If he actually dived down and placed the tag there, then it would be fine.

Maybe on my next cruise I should tie a cache to a huge boulder and throw it over the side and mark the location.

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

I'm going to post a dnf... and then ask him to do some upkeep and check if its still there.

Yeah, I looked for it while we were on vacation, and I couldn't find it. I have a McToy I was going to tie to the rope. icon_frown.gif Probably MIA. Maybe somebody raided it or moved it. He'd better go check up on it.....

130036_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

Well at least there shouldn't be any mosquitos, gnats, or poison ivy.......

...or geomuggles, or nudists, or disgusting, ghastly and frightening park cruisers, or convicts who will attack their guards with the plastic tag...

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

icon_frown.gifAugust 6 by Marky (1666 found)

I dived down and looked around for a while searching for the plastic tag when I came upon this travel bug. It was attached to an anchor, about 80 feet down. I e-mailed you the bug's number, just in case that was what I was looking for, but I don't think it is since it's not plastic.

Not to mention that in the spring his coordinates will be wrong since the buoy will have frozen into the icepack and been dragged with the ice when it moves. Anyone who thinks ice couldn't do this should read some of the journals written by & about arctic explorers whose once anchored boats were dragged hundreds of miles.

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

He left a container (3, actually) at a National Park while he was on vacation. Why were these approved? Now, the container itself does not open - it only has a number on it, but that sounds like it goes against the no caches in National Parks rule. It is also against the vacation cache rule. He should have to go back and collect his tags, especially the one under 80 feet of icy water.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

That third glacier cache of his is in a national park. He dropped a buoy in Holgate Arm in the Kenai Fjords National Park. He was more than likely on a glacier cruise with 100 other tourists. I can probably name which tour outfit he went with.

The currents in that area have probably taken the tag out to sea already. If not the ice will next spring.

The first is on BLM land. The second is just on the border of BLM land ajacent to the national park.

But still, these are vacation caches that will be hard to maintain if the numbered tags go missing. Why he would put tags rather than ask for a photo of the glaciers I dont know.

And yes this was approved only a couple weeks ago. This will not look good if we want to win points with the NPS.

I tagged it for review by TPTB.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

[This message was edited by Bilder on August 06, 2003 at 11:12 PM.]

I couldn't get the link to work earlier, but I think I know what caches your talking about. I've looked at all of them that I could, since discovering this wild and crazy sport!

Seems some way ahead of us planted some hard ones and got us on the geocaching map. They are grandfathered in, and should never be archived, no matter how long it takes to be logged.

I laugh at myself!

~This is the place~

Hey,

Maybe I could a virtual cache under the shuttle launch pad and the only way to get credit for it is to tell me the temperature of the flames at time of takeoff. Naturally, you have to be holding the thermometer at the time of launch. I'll make this a multi-cahe and put a NASA maintenance suit in the first so you won't raise suspicion.

I think I know where the other half of that joint went to!

"I cache; therefore I am"

DapperDan said

quote:
If he actually dived down and placed the tag there, then it would be fine.

I agree, for heaven's sake, how can a cache get approved, virtual or otherwise, if the cache owner has never been to the site - let alone all the other rules getting broken!

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

quote:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:

I Am Thinking Of a Number Between 1 & 1.95 Trillion, Can You Guess It?

Um... is it three?

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is nuttier than my idea of an orbiting geocache.... My problem was figuring out how to post coordinates since it would be in a geosynchronous orbit but I would only be able to put down the longitude since the lattitude would be constantly changing... Also there is the small problem of how my geocaching friends would get enough altitude (approx 125 miles straight up) to reach the cache...

I guess they would want oxygen too, huh?

Maybe diving under a glacier is not so nutty after all... icon_wink.gif

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

Actually any coordinates would do, it is just the attitude that would matter, ha ha. -25000 feet.

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

I thought about a virtual at the center of the earth, but I couldn't figure out what coordinates to post! icon_rolleyes.gif

===============_"If it feels good...do it"_================

**_(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")_**

---------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

www.neurocache.com - NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page

I can't believe the guy didn't get fined for dumping trash overboard. Jeers to the Captain of the vessel as well if he knew about the cache and condoned it.

By the way, the number on the tag is 25. As in $25,000 fine for dumping on the open seas.

I am claiming a find on this one. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Jeers to the Captain of the vessel as well if he knew about the cache and condoned it.

Odds are the guy just asked 'Hey how deep is the water here?' before tossing the thing overboard. Skippers can loose their rating if they knowingly allow such actions. Many of these tourboats have a ranger on board giving commentary throughout the cruise.

We get enough garbage from all over the Pacific washing up on our shore without this tag added to the mess.

Wonder if the admins will archive his other glacier caches as well? I know that the first one has plenty of area for a regular cache nearby.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:

I guess the next virtual to be approved is the "I Am Thinking Of a Number Between 1 & 1.95 Trillion, Can You Guess It?" cache.

I was going to say 4 so I would be closer than Mushtang! I think I'll take 4,657,264.

I archived the cache.

I double checked the coords on the second glacier virtual he did. It does lie within the Kenai Fjords National Park. I thought it was on the border, but he placed the tag within park boundries.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Utah is not thatfar. Only a 3.5 hour flight to Seatle, followed by a couple hour layover. Then another hour or so to Salt Lake City.

Probably get a ticket for around 400-500 bucks.

Or you could drive, would take a few days and some serious mileage on your car, but it can be done.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I've actually been to Seward and Homer on the way back from Kodiac where I spent the summer commercial fishing for halibut in 1969.

Think I could count that as a find?

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

I am going to Seward to do some fishing in a couple weeks.

If the tag is still there at #2 I am going to remove it.

Same for the tag at #1.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

I've actually been to Seward and Homer on the way back from Kodiac where I spent the summer commercial fishing for halibut in 1969.

Think I could count that as a find?

My ex and I had property in Soldotna. If you get yours as a find, I get one too! icon_mad.gif

130036_200.gif

I am not rated for scuba and the water is a bit chilly for free diving. icon_wink.gif

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

I am going to Seward to do some fishing in a couple weeks.

If the tag is still there at #2 I am going to remove it.

Same for the tag at #1.

Not #3?

Hahaha! Come on, go for it! icon_wink.gif

If you would, please email either Moun10Bike or me and we will archive the cache as you get them. You may want to post a note a week or two before you go get them so other potential cachers can be aware that they may be removed. It may be prudent for one of the two of us to log the cache with a note regarding the problems and then disable the cache page. I would hate for someone to get there looking for the tags and waste their time. Thanks for going to retrieve them!!

Did anyone ever think to e-mail the cache placer and let him know about this thread so maybe he could post a valid explanation (okay, not the ones on NPS, but the other one)?

In the meantime, while it's nice of Bilder to clean up the NPS ones, since they are in violation of NPS code (for now!)...it sort of smacks of Geocaching vigilante-ism....shouldn't the placer be responsible for removing them (or designating someone)? What about the approver, since the placer is probably in Utah right now?

I think at least *some* contact with the placer is necessary before boldly removing the physical caches themselves...I dunno, just what I was thinking.