Cache Cameras

Gimpy

Looking for some feedback. What are your feelings about disposable cameras in caches? I've put out 26 caches so far, & usually put a camera in each. I've developed & posted the pics from 5 cameras, have 4 more in my possesion to have developed, & through info from recent logs at some of my caches, have to go out & pick up 5 more full cameras & put in new ones. I'm not concerned about the financial end of it at all. But does anybody make any attempt to view pics from cameras at caches they've visited. I've got containers to place an additional 14 caches, & really not sure if including cameras in all of them is beneficial in any way. One of my caches is ready for it's 5th camera, & I'm really not sure if any folks have checked out the pics from the first 4. It's getting to the point where I'm spending more time on cache maintenance than I am caching. Not complaining, mind you. I really enjoy putting caches out for others to go after. But if cachers take a snapshot & forget it, is it worth the effort. Just curious. icon_cool.gif

"Gimpy"

Well to be truthful it depends. I've found to many caches to check on all of them and see if pictures have been posted. However 1 individual did email everyone who had visited his cache to notify them that pics were up. I visited the cache page again and liked the pic I took so I downloaded it, and that was a really nice touch.

And when I finally get out your way the cache cams would be nice.

So, from my point of view, if you take the time to email everyone (even more cache maintenance time) then I think it's worth it. If not then probably not except for your own interest. I'm hoping one of my cams will capture a picture of the elusive 19-24 year old, hot, single, would actually go hiking, female geocacher.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

I usually cache alone and I usually don't use the cameras provided because I'm pretty sure your only going to get blurry self portraits as most of these cameras can't focus close enough to take a picture at arms length. What are your results? I'm putting together some caches right now. If I thought I could get a camera that would take a decent picture that close I would buy it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mitsuko:

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

I'm hoping one of my cams will capture a picture of the elusive 19-24 year old, hot, single, would actually go hiking, female geocacher.

Would you except three out of four?

(I'm not sure I can keep up on a long hike, but I'm sure to be pretty warm by the time I get there)

For you Mitsuko, I'd make the exception.

We put our first cache camera in a cache that we have discovered is pretty popular this summer and will have to go out and replace the camera soon, if the logs are any indication.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the photos, putting faces with names and posting the results on our GeoGadgets website (which is YES, down right now due to server difficulties).

When we find them we always take a photo of ourselves or just our boys and we think they are pretty spiffy! Especially when we visit out of town caches like the ones we trekked to in Portland!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping one of my cams will capture a picture of the elusive 19-24 year old, hot, single, would actually go hiking, female geocacher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im relatively new here but have to say that Mitsuko came to mind when i first read this back at the top,,,hehe. Gonna have to stash a camera in my next cache, just in case!!!

I think cache cameras are pretty cool. I'd be quite a bit more excited about them if I ever saw any of my pics posted. To date, I've snapped some cheesy self-portrait about ten times, and none of those pics have been posted (or even developed, to my knowledge).

I'd sure like to see more cache camera photos posted.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I think cache cameras are pretty cool. I'd be quite a bit more excited about them if I ever saw any of my pics posted. To date, I've snapped some cheesy self-portrait about ten times, and none of those pics have been posted (or even developed, to my knowledge).

I'd sure like to see more cache camera photos posted.

Jamie

Knowing what you look like, Jamie, I am positive it wasn't because you broke the camera. Maybe the cache owners are jealous? Maybe their wives are hording the photos? Maybe you took the photo with you and your 'Vette in the background? Hell, I'm using that photo as a background on my monitor!

icon_razz.gif

RedwoodRed

quote:

You're more likely to get a shot of a 19+24 year old, hot (read "sweaty"), actually just recently started hiking, male geocacher. icon_razz.gif

But dreams are what keeps life interesting. icon_biggrin.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Is it fun for you to see the pictures? I think it would be (but the novelty might wear off after a couple dozen cameras). If you find it interesting and it's not a financial burden, keep doing it. If you're only doing it for the visitors, and you suspect they aren't bothering to return, then consider scrapping it. I've only taken my picture once at a cache, and I'd be somewhat curious to see it but I'll probably forget to look in the future. Anyway, I bet it was a pretty horrible shot.. I'm not that photogenic under the best of circumstances, and this was after a hike :/

quote:

Hey no fair Mikechim!!!! You shouldn't stero-type us young female geocachers!!!! I hope you were joking. ;-)

Well what I am thinking about doing is putting an i-zone with stickey film and just letting them take their photo and stick it to their own log in the cache. That is I knew the camera wouldn't be stolen...

At least I think it would be an interesting touch.

Some of you posted that you never saw the photos posted. Here are a couple caches that did post the photos:

Kitchen Cache (archived now)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4132&logs=y&decrypt=

See the Jan 4 post by Jeo

And don't forget logbooks can be posted also

http://www.guysnamedkim.com/geocache/gblog/gblog.html

As far as the original question - Don't post the pictures for me, if you want to see them, that's fine.

quote:

icon_eek.gif I sure hope you're kidding. That's a bit stalkish. icon_wink.gif

I've got some other pictures, Red... if you'd like. icon_razz.gif

Jamie

No, I don't really have your photo as the backdrop to my life/office/monitor. That is just plain eerie... sort of like using the photo of a sock puppet as the 'thought' in one's own photo avatar.

Even though it seems as though you have someone else on your 'mind', Jamie, you know that I would never turn down more photos of my favorite redneck!

Thanks! You DO still have my email addy, right? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

No, I don't really have your photo as the backdrop to my life/office/monitor. That is just plain eerie... sort of like using the photo of a sock puppet as the 'thought' in one's own photo avatar.

Even though it seems as though you have someone else on your 'mind', Jamie, you know that I would never turn down more photos of my favorite redneck!

Thanks! You DO still have my email addy, right? icon_biggrin.gif

Sockpuppet hey, was this Choberiba's work? Well done whoever it was. It figures, like I said, with a few exceptions, I doubt this sport attracts the young attractive single female crowd. In fact during all my backpacking and hiking in the central and southern US I only ran into one female not dragged out by her husband or boyfriend... and she was 48 year old lesbian. Ahh well, * trying to get back on topic sorry about that gimpy really didn't mean to guide this forum off track as much as my comments did* I'll keep checking my cache cams and hoping. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

quote:

Sockpuppet hey, was this Choberiba's work?

Wasn't me, and I must say if *THAT* was a sockpuppet I bow respectfully before the master.

RedwoodBritches seems pretty sure of herself, I'm wondering if it was Steak??????

I had my suspicions that Acceptable Risk was behind her... They appeared at the same time...

He's just twisted enough (and I mean that in a good way) to pull something like that.

She could be legit for all I know and if you're reading this.... no offense meant.

Stay away from Mopar though, he's been having thoughts that no young lady should be exposed to.

(if you disagree my number is......)

quote:

...just plain eerie... sort of like using the photo of a sock puppet as the 'thought' in one's own photo avatar.

Seems to be catching on! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Redneck? How'd I get that title?

quote:
Thanks! You DO still have my email addy, right?
Of course.

Jamie

I think cache cameras only work at special caches - such as a truly amazing location, or at event caches or whatever.

Sometimes it is nice to put faces to names, but the posters are right - half the time, the film rarely seems to be developed, or, if it is, not shared.

With my first hidden cache, I included a camera. I don't think I'll do that in the future. Not unless I place a really spectacular cache, that people would be proud to have visited. Until that happens, I'll make do with log book signatures.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

quote:

Sockpuppet hey, was this Choberiba's work? Well done whoever it was.

Sorry folks... I have no idea if Mitsuko is/was a Sock Puppet. I suppose it was (as Bassoon Pilot has commented before) that my hormones were kicking in and my eyes turned abnormally green for a split second... I was being catty. I don't appreciate catty in women and I hate being thought that way myself. It has been many years since I was the '25-30 single attractive female' and since I'll be 42 this year (Doug Adams believed that to be a magical number!), I may be feeling a bit pinched by old man Time.

So, I apologize to Jamie, to Choberiba (he coined the phrase 'Sock Puppet' in the sense that I know it) and mostly to Mitsuko if she is reading and really exists.

I'll crawl back into my sad little world of collecting large breasted female action figures and the comic books that depict them... *sigh*

quote:

quote:

Sockpuppet hey, was this Choberiba's work? Well done whoever it was.

Sorry folks... I have no idea if Mitsuko is/was a Sock Puppet. I suppose it was (as Bassoon Pilot has commented before) that my hormones were kicking in ...(snip)

Hey,

No one's hormone's kicked in as high a level as we poor drooling male geocaching slobs. I believe after last night's chat, 40% wool 40% cotton, and just a hint of Dacron...

I must admit, I love a good joke (even when played on me) and that was a good one - on all of us.

My proverbial hat is off to the diamond-toe manipulator (whom I suspect is really some middle-aged, bald, beer-guzzlin', testerone-filled, big-bellied beguiler!) Whoever he/she was, he/she was very good at his/her trade of selling socks!

I suspect we will feel more cotton / wool blends in the future...

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

quote:

Sockpuppet hey, was this Choberiba's work?

Wasn't me, and I must say if *THAT* was a sockpuppet I bow respectfully before the master.

RedwoodBritches seems pretty sure of herself, I'm wondering if it was Steak??????

I gotta funny feeling that JamieZ's right hand smells like a cotton wool blend, with a hint of Dacron...

(He's got her in his head, according to his Avatar!)

--majicman

Kije think geocaching men maybe need life to get. Pretty Japanese girl just want healthy hobby and now she think everyone a pervert. Kije ashamed to be a man and geocacher. Maybe give GPR to homeless man in Berkeley so he can find shelter.

Kije

quote:
Originally posted by Kije:

Kije think geocaching men maybe need life to get. Pretty Japanese girl just want healthy hobby and now she think everyone a pervert. Kije ashamed to be a man and geocacher. Maybe give GPR to homeless man in Berkeley so he can find shelter.

Kije

Well, I can't speak for "everyone", but, we all know that "I" am a pervert. (Just look at these heels and this whale-stay bra!)

P.S. When you comin' to Okrahoma to find some caches?

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

Well, I can't speak for "everyone", but, we all know that "I" am a pervert. (Just look at these heels and this whale-stay bra!)

P.S. When you comin' to Okrahoma to find some caches?

Kije think maybe he skip Oklahoma if all he find are cows and men with womens clothes. Ha. Kije making trip on motorcycle in 2 week. Go see friend in Colorado, maybe drive to your town on way to see pretty girl in New Jersery.

Kije

quote:

Me is thinking that maybe Kije too be a sockpuppet... I think Choberiba is testing his knitting abilities...

Knit one, pearl two...

RedwoodRed

The REAL fake Mitsuko

I've thought for a while that Kije might be Choberiba's. But apparently he isn't the only one with them. Could also be someone who doesn't even post here. Is generous of him to offer his GPS to a homeless man though isn't it.

quote:

Me is thinking that maybe Kije too be a sockpuppet... I think Choberiba is testing his knitting abilities...

Kije have many names, but none of them Choberiba. His other name O'Connor and he send Kije e-mail with mean words. We have same town name but we different people. Kije real geocacher now with find to name.

Brother in Pskov call me butt-face. His Tanya call me stallion. Ha. I kill me.

Kije

Peregrinus expectavi, pedes meos in cymbalis

quote:

I gotta funny feeling that JamieZ's right hand smells like a cotton wool blend, with a hint of Dacron...

(He's got her in his head, according to his Avatar!)

You do, do you? Well.. I'll tell you what, Majicman. On a completely serious note, you can be assured that I, Jamie Z, will never purport to be someone else, whether it be a sockpuppet or otherwise. I believe it to be unethical and frankly, a bit childish, to misrepresent oneself. It not only would waste my time, but others' as well.

Now.. don't get me wrong, I have a keen sense of humor, and whoever "created" Mitsuko did a fine job of mostly convincing me she was real. I laughed mightlily when the realization came to me that Mitsuko was, indeed, the work of someone's imagination. But myself? You have my word that I will never invest my time in misleading anyone.

Do you see my screen name? That's my real name. If you meet me, my name is Jamie. My picture? Me. My profile? True. Look at my e-mail address. That's my name.

WYSIWYG

Jamie

Boy, talk about off-topic. I actually opened this thread thinking I'd see something about cameras.

Gimpy, to be honest, I rarely view other peoples' pix. Nothing personal, but I'm not that interested. On the other hand, I recall a thread where someone mentioned that they hit refresh on the photos page all the time just waiting for someone to post new photos. So, I guess the answer is "who knows".

quote:

You do, do you? Well.. I'll tell you what, Majicman. On a completely serious note, you can be assured that I, Jamie Z ...

Well, Jamie, I think you should know that the person who purports to be Majicman is actually a sockpuppet. He logs himself into the OK geocachers meetings and even my event cache but I've never seen him. If he were real, I'm sure he's the kind who would show up at someone's house unannounced while they were still in the shower. I suspect he is Web-ling.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

but I would love to see pics uploaded from cache cameras. Of course, I'm one of those strange people that would rather read the log book than dig through the cache-stash. I recently attended my first geocaching picnic and loved being able to put faces to names. We always take a photo when there is a camera in the cache. To my knowledge, though, none have been retrieved and developed. I periodically read through the new log entries for caches that we have found and would certainly look through the photos if they were added to the cache page.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

Boy, talk about off-topic. (snip)

quote:

You do, do you? Well.. I'll tell you what, Majicman. On a completely serious note, you can be assured that I, Jamie Z ...

Well, Jamie, I think you should know that the person who purports to be Majicman is actually a sockpuppet. He logs himself into the OK geocachers meetings and even my event cache but I've never seen him. If he were real, I'm sure he's the kind who would show up at someone's house unannounced while they were still in the shower. I suspect he is Web-ling.

OK,

Since Eric O'Connor is being honest (in another thread,) and sinc TresOkies pointed me out, I will give honesty a shot!

1.) Jamie, I apologize! I was only trying to cast light elsewhere so that MY true nature would not be seen! (I picked you, because you seem to have a good sense of humor and I thought you could laugh it off as just my silliness.)

I am indeed a sock puppet. BUT, I'm a really fun and funny one! Please don't let my cotton wool blend (with just a hint of Dacron) offend you, for I am what you have made of me!

I appreciate all of the Okies that have put up with my non-existant logs in their caches, and pretending to be an Okie. I am actually in Akron, Ohio.

hehe

--majicman

[This message was edited by majicman on July 24, 2002 at 10:16 AM.]

quote:

[1.) Jamie, I apologize!

MM, no apology necessary. You didn't offend me... it was just something I wanted to get off my chest since it seems that every other person on these forums is a sock puppet, or has a sock puppet. My statement wasn't directed at you, but just the general population. Hope I didn't cause you any alarm.

quote:
I picked you, because you seem to have a good sense of humor and I thought you could laugh it off as just my silliness.
I do, and I can... but how did you know? I don't think it shows well.

quote:
I am indeed a sock puppet.
Hmmm, strangely, I don't know icon_confused.gif whether to believe this statement or not...

Jamie

quote:

quote:

Hmmm, strangely, I don't know icon_confused.gif whether to believe this statement or not...

Jamie

There was about a 3 minute span that I myself wondered. I don't think it's strange considering Majicman's posts.

I am not, but do have two sock puppets...

Folks, meet Fran and Ollie! One for each, er, hand. I buy the kids' socks with tread on the soles so that I can type easier when 'playing' here.

I'd show you a photo of them, but they are both currently in the washing machine on the Gentle cycle with a bit of Woolite. I fear I'm losing them bit by bit, though. They cry out whenever I clean out the lint catch and through the dregs in the trash.

RedwoodRed

quote:

quote:

Jamie

Jamie,

Thanks for not takin' all this stuff too seriously. Lord-a-mercy some of these 'har folks git powerful serious over sum silly stuff! (I'm sur-fire glad nones of them thar' geocachers carry guns!) I'm plumb glad you isn't ain't wanna them "too-serious" types!

P.S. I knew you wouldn't mind because I know you personally! - (hint) icon_biggrin.gif

Think about it...

--majicman

quote:

There was about a 3 minute span that I myself wondered. I don't think it's strange considering Majicman's posts.

Mike, I couldn't possibly be a sock puppet! If you will check, my profile shows many physical caches hidden in Oklahoma and has many other geocachers with finds on those caches! Wouldn't a real cacher want credit for all of that, rather than just wasting all of that effort on a sock puppet? I was just pulling everyone's GPS lanyard when I said that I (majicman) was a sock puppet...

you know me, anything to STIR IT UP!

However, this entire posting is subject to my factually-challenged, demented and twisted mind and ego! icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

quote:

quote:

Mike, I couldn't possibly be a sock puppet! If you will check, my profile shows many physical caches hidden in Oklahoma and has many other geocachers with finds on those caches! Wouldn't a real cacher want credit for all of that, rather than just wasting all of that effort on a sock puppet? I was just pulling everyone's GPS lanyard when I said that I (majicman) was a sock puppet...

you know me, anything to STIR IT UP!

However, this entire posting is subject to my factually-challenged, demented and twisted mind and ego! icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

Yeah I know, the 3 minutes I was confused for was about how long it took me to go from reading your post about being a sock puppet, sending an email, then checking your profile (darn 56k). TIl then I'd only read your posts (though highly entertaining could have been an ingenous sock puppet), I rarely if ever check pofiles on the forums. Once I checked your profile, saw you had found and hidden caches as well as had a website I realized you were definately legit.....maybe... icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by mikechim on July 25, 2002 at 08:21 PM.]

quote:

quote:

...because I know you personally! - Think about it...

Now _this_ I don't believe.

Jamie

Well... Believe what you want, but don't believe it here! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

OK, I was pulling your GPS lanyard (as usual...) I don't know you personally. - Come to think of it, I really don't even know myself very well. I guess all that Gesthalt therapy was wasted.

--majicman

BigSig rules to live by:

1.) Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive!

2.) There is NO... Rule #2.

3.) NEVER get "off-topic." These threads are ALL far too serious for that!