Environmantal Impact

Guest Concerned

Guest Concerned

Don't know if this subject has been mentioned before, but at some of the cache sites I've visited , the ones located off of an established trail in National Forests, I didn't even need my GPS to find the caches because of all the foot prints, broken branches, overturned leaves, etc., that led me right to hiding place. It's like new trails are being established because of these caches. My point is this; I think these caches should be removed and relocated after a short period of time, or after a certain number of visits. Otherwise, they *do* begin to have an impact due to "over-use". It's one thing for a single person to walk through the forest, off-trail, through a particular spot once a year. It's a completly different matter when 20 or more people beeline for the same spot in the forest, day after day, weekend after weekend, over a period of a few short months.

Guest Squad51

If I came upon a cache that was making that kind of impact on the surrounding area, I'd be sure to email the cache owner IMMEDIATELY and let them know about it! If no one tells them, they can't fix the problem! Have a good one!

Be Safe!

Guest jeremy

If you ever notice that there has been some questionable impact at a location, it is your duty as a player to contact the owner of that cache immediately. Copy me at contact@geocaching.com if you like. If you are ignored and concerned enough, you have the right to remove it. Just make sure that you inform the cache owner about it, or let me know and I'll contact them.

Jeremy