I know who the pirates are.

iryshe

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

Actually, I'm referring to people who normally post daily (during working hours) and are very vocally in support of the pirates. It is an interesting coincidence they're ALL busy. Of course some of them work and of course most of them are probably not involved.

Of course, starting a private topic about this is a lot more like a witch hunt than my comment icon_frown.gif

I wouldn't say we're ALL quiet. I still have no problem with a variation of "pirating" that does not involve pillage (yes, that's not trly "pirating," but the semantic argument doesn't really mean much). Having been vocal about it, having contributed to forums regarding this topic, having suggested ideas on how to make it somethin acceptable, etc., I strongly suspect I'll be named or at least implicated in pirating geocaches, probably in the now-monolithic private topic regarding who the pirates are.

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

Hey... you skipped me!

Make sure you copy the latest version!

Mark 42

Prime Suspect

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Mark 42

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Mark 42

Micqn

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

Seneca

CT Trampers

WildGooseChase

The Cache Couple

southdeltan

Pluckers

Team Tecmage

Btouch

SirRalanN

mtn-man

Bull Moose

breaktrack

Sissy-n-CR

Mark 42

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on September 23, 2003 at 03:27 PM.]

Man, this is like watching a train wreck about to happen -- but you can't seem to turn away.

I wondered how long it'd be before people started saying "gee, where's so & so? They must be a pirate since they're not here!" Sounds like Monty Python's witch hunt now.

Burn The Witch

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Prime Suspect

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Prime Suspect

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

Prime Suspect

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Prime Suspect

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Prime Suspect

Micqn

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

Seneca

CT Trampers

WildGooseChase

The Cache Couple

southdeltan

Prime Suspect

Pluckers

Team Tecmage

Btouch

Prime Suspect

SirRalanN

mtn-man

Bull Moose

breaktrack

Sissy-n-CR

Mark 42

Cybo

Prime Suspect: LMAO!!!

quote:
I respectfully think this is a mistake. I believe there will continue to be no remedy if you treat all the groups as the same with the same motivations. How can you set up disincentives if you aren't aiming at their motives?

What exactly are their motives?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

Actually, I'm referring to people who normally post daily (during working hours) and are very vocally in support of the pirates. It is an interesting coincidence they're ALL busy. Of course some of them work and of course most of them are probably not involved.

And some of us just plain are tired of the BS (not you, briansnat!) and don't really care to feed the trolls......errr pirates.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

Prime Suspect

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Prime Suspect

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

Prime Suspect

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Prime Suspect

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Prime Suspect

Micqn

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

Seneca

CT Trampers

WildGooseChase

The Cache Couple

southdeltan

Prime Suspect

Pluckers

Team Tecmage

Btouch

Prime Suspect

SirRalanN

mtn-man

Bull Moose

breaktrack

Sissy-n-CR

Mark 42

Cybo

SylvrStorm

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

You seem to know an awful lot about this whole thing for being so new to the site

Well, I was interested. I found a looted cache, went to the web site, followed the clues to another cache ("Harvesting the Tide"), rescued it, had fun, and have paid attention to the pirate controversy on both their site and this one ever since.

BTW, I have the same userid on both boards. : )

Peace be with you!

charis

WOW I got home an hour ago and just finished reading the last page. There seem to be too many people interested in the private forum, only 23 allowed. I was wonderding if a special forum can be set up by the admin that would allow everyone interested in attending. I do not know what the requirements are or if it is the hosting service that needs to do this but I think it would be a good idea to get everyone in that wants in and not have cross talk between two forums. That would end up leading to way to many mistakes. Anyone here remember the gossip game where you tell something to one person they tell someone else?

Anyway I still have mixed feelings about the issue, I can see both sides of it and both have good and bad points. I did however like the idea I saw posted about a pirate note being left in a cache with coords to a seperate cache for anyone wanting to do it. That way all orginal cache contents are left alone and a new cache is placed. Now I don't see why anyone would object to that, but I'm sure someone will. lol

oops -- list is full. Nevermind.

For the record I wanted to be there. icon_frown.gif

Oh, and altough I have pirate tendacies (my Dad named me Jolly) I've never acted on them.

Ummmm, except for that one time while on a Celebrity Cruise ship but nobody talks about that.

[This message was edited by Jolly B Good on September 23, 2003 at 03:34 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

WOW I got home an hour ago and just finished reading the last page. There seem to be too many people interested in the private forum, only 23 allowed. I was wonderding if a special forum can be set up by the admin that would allow everyone interested in attending. I do not know what the requirements are or if it is the hosting service that needs to do this but I think it would be a good idea to get everyone in that wants in and not have cross talk between two forums. That would end up leading to way to many mistakes. Anyone here remember the gossip game where you tell something to one person they tell someone else?

Anyway I still have mixed feelings about the issue, I can see both sides of it and both have good and bad points. I did however like the idea I saw posted about a pirate note being left in a cache with coords to a seperate cache for anyone wanting to do it. That way all orginal cache contents are left alone and a new cache is placed. Now I don't see why anyone would object to that, but I'm sure someone will. lol

At the very least maybe someone could make a text copy of the session and send it to the rest of us.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Prime Suspect

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Prime Suspect

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

Prime Suspect

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Prime Suspect

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Prime Suspect

Micqn

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

Seneca

CT Trampers

WildGooseChase

The Cache Couple

southdeltan

Prime Suspect

Pluckers

Team Tecmage

Btouch

Prime Suspect

SirRalanN

mtn-man

Bull Moose

breaktrack

Sissy-n-CR

Mark 42

Cybo

SylvrStorm

Metaphor

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

I'm not sure what the "Private Topic List" is all about...but I hope it isn't a private chat to throw names around. If it is then I want no part of it. You can seriously hurt some good people out there by casting doubt on their names.

Apparently the only person in here that has any facts is Jeremy. Anyone else who starts rumors is going to hurt a lot of innocent people.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

Will you people please stop it with the lists of cachers? The private topic has reached capacity -- 23 people. Stop. Thanks.

*In righteously offended voice*

You people? What the hell you mean by you people?

Racist... sexist... something ist...

Oh and: icon_razz.gif

Prime Suspect

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Prime Suspect

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

Prime Suspect

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Prime Suspect

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Prime Suspect

Micqn

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

Seneca

CT Trampers

WildGooseChase

The Cache Couple

southdeltan

Prime Suspect

Pluckers

Team Tecmage

Btouch

Prime Suspect

SirRalanN

mtn-man

Bull Moose

breaktrack

Sissy-n-CR

Mark 42

Cybo

SylvrStorm

I entirely agree it is reprehensible to hide behind someone else's easily-identified screen name, and make false posts under that name. But as far are the anonimity aspect goes, why wouldn't the pirates choose a fun screen name, same as almost everyone on gc.com?

cachewidow (sure beats the heck out of plain Teresa)

"Thank you for calling Mom's Travel Service. Guilt Trips our specialty. Where would you like to go today?"

Suggestion: Someone who is interested in moderating it set up a yahoo or MSN listserve, make it veiwable to members only and then allow in people who posted in this thread (or how about make a different thread for that growing list). Sorry, but I don't have the time to deal with setting that up, but I bet others do.

pokeanim3.gif

Bedevere: Does wood sink in water?

Bedevere: What also floats in water?

Arthur: A duck!

Crowd: Oooh.

Bedevere: Exactly. So logically...

Villager 1: If she weighs...the same as a duck...she's made of wood...

Bedevere: And therefore?

Villager 2: A witch!

Bedevere: Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?

Arthur: I am Arthur, King of the Britons.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I'm not sure what the "Private Topic List" is all about...but I hope it isn't a private chat to throw names around. If it is then I want no part of it. You can seriously hurt some good people out there by casting doubt on their names.

Apparently the only person in here that has any facts is Jeremy. Anyone else who starts rumors is going to hurt a lot of innocent people.

El Diablo

Amen

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

Bedevere: Does wood sink in water?

Bedevere: What also floats in water?

Arthur: A duck!

Crowd: Oooh.

Bedevere: Exactly. So logically...

Villager 1: If she weighs...the same as a duck...she's made of wood...

Bedevere: And therefore?

Villager 2: A witch!

Bedevere: Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?

Arthur: I am Arthur, King of the Britons.

Actually the applicable punchline will probably be "Burn her anyway!!!!!"

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

Prime Suspect

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Prime Suspect

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

Prime Suspect

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Prime Suspect

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Prime Suspect

Micqn

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

Seneca

CT Trampers

WildGooseChase

The Cache Couple

southdeltan

Prime Suspect

Pluckers

Team Tecmage

Btouch

Prime Suspect

SirRalanN

mtn-man

Bull Moose

breaktrack

Sissy-n-CR

Mark 42

Cybo

SylvrStorm

The Franco Expeditions

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Suggestion: Someone who is interested in moderating it set up a yahoo or MSN listserve, make it veiwable to members only and then allow in people who posted in this thread (or how about make a different thread for that growing list). Sorry, but I don't have the time to deal with setting that up, but I bet others do.

Setting up a yahoo group requires valid email addresses in order to 'invite' people in. Otherwise it would be open for all. Setting that up wouldn't be a huge problem but dealing with everyones email would be. As you know we don't all list our email addresses here so it would make things difficult unless they were all posted to a thread.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

quote:
Setting up a yahoo group requires valid email addresses in order to 'invite' people in. Otherwise it would be open for all. Setting that up wouldn't be a huge problem but dealing with everyones email would be. As you know we don't all list our email addresses here so it would make things difficult unless they were all posted to a thread.

I think they can be set up where people apply to be in. Then the moderator approves them. So they could apply using their same name as here. Of course, I suppose imposters could happen, but they would get caught when the real person tried to apply and it was seen that someone else already used their name. Another way to avoid that: the moderator emails the user through geocaching and doesn't allow them in until they respond. That would be a bunch of work for the moderator though.

I also question whether any discussion of this shouldn't be public. My concern there though is the nasty mess it could become. Of course, this all has been a mess already anyway (which is why until now I've generally stayed out of it).

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Wow! I have been avoiding posting in the pirate threads, but I couldn't resist here. Thanks Jeremy.

Me too Carleen.

Wow! I get a little busy at work and look what I miss. 5 PAGES!! This is one hot topic. I noticed that a few of the usual suspects are nowhere in sight. Hmmmm. BURN THEM!! They must be witches ummmm, I mean pirates. Or they just don't care for pirate talk anymore. I washed my hands after the PIGman B.S.

BTW- A private thread will only admit 23 unless the limit can be raised.

PNEW: I think our "exterminator" is a local problem involving some hurt widdle feewings. I got some of the scoop at a recent event.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Didn't anyone notice? At exactly 03:32 PM, carleenp reached 1000 posts!!!

Congratulations carleenp!!!

Whoa! I didn't notice that. I knew I was getting up around 750 at one time, but didn't notice the count afterward. And here the milestone was in this mess! icon_rolleyes.gif

I think that means that I need to go caching more. I guess a rough ratio of 10 posts to 1 cache isn't horrible, but sheesh! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

Thanks to all those who put great efforts into making this site what it is.

To the para-sites:

Live by the sweat of your own brow...

Prime Suspect

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Prime Suspect

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

Prime Suspect

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Prime Suspect

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Prime Suspect

Micqn

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

Seneca

CT Trampers

WildGooseChase

The Cache Couple

southdeltan

Prime Suspect

Pluckers

Team Tecmage

Btouch

Prime Suspect

SirRalanN

mtn-man

Bull Moose

breaktrack

Sissy-n-CR

Mark 42

Cybo

SylvrStorm

The Franco Expeditions

canadazuuk

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:

Is it just me...or has anyone else noticed the hints that Jeremy is dropping?

El Diablo

It's not just you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good...glad I'm not the only one paying attention.

El Diablo

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

So what of the good pirates, the ones that are trying to add something new and creative to this activity? Is this just a blanket cleansing?

The problem with that line of thinking is that it has no consideration for those of us who DON'T want to play the Pirate game.

yes, be creative. But not with somebody's else's cache.

Why don't all the 'good' pirates get together and agree that they will only loot/tamper with each other's caches? In other words you have to sign up in order to participate. It's incredibly rude for a pirate (good or bad) to take someone's cache and impose their own idea of 'fun' and 'creativity' on the owner.

It's like joining in on a soft ball game and deciding you're going to run to the bases from right to left instead of from the left to right.

Personally I haven't let the pirate thing get to me. Probably because there are no pirates (to my knowledge) locally and no one has tampered with mine.

I was one of those who posted the other day that we should ignore the pirates and they'd go away.

After reading of Jeremy's amazing detective work I had to confess, I think his approach might prove to be more effective.

Go Jeremy!!

Jolly R. Blackburn

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

It's not just you. I've been paying attention as well.

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

I wonder if anyone has noticed that there are a few prime suspects on the witch hunt listed above?

El Diablo

I just reread all of Jeremy's statements. I saw things that could of been hints I guess, but haven't bee nable to associate them with anyone specific yet, or specific enough I might add. I had my own suspicions before of when the pirate thing came up after the caches there in WA were pirated. I put 2 and 2 together, but it may add up only to 3. Even the person I suspected told me it was good logic, but denied it of course.

I did find some things interesting over on the pirating messageboard about a sock puppet and who it belonged to. I would of never guessed.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

pumpkinlights.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

I just reread all of Jeremy's statements. I saw things that could of been hints I guess, but haven't bee nable to associate them with anyone specific yet, or specific enough I might add. I had my own suspicions before of when the pirate thing came up after the caches there in WA were pirated. I put 2 and 2 together, but it may add up only to 3. Even the person I suspected told me it was good logic, but denied it of course.

I did find some things interesting over on the pirating messageboard about a sock puppet and who it belonged to. I would of never guessed.

Brian

http://www.woodsters.com

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/pumpkinlights.gif

You might want to read a topic posted several below this one for Jeremy's comments.

El Diablo

quote:

I wonder if anyone has noticed that there are a few prime suspects on the witch hunt listed above?

El Diablo

LMAO...I was intently going through the list thinking that there were 'prime suspects' of the pirates. Then I realized I kep seeing "Primes Suspect's" name...geez!

Brian

www.woodsters.com

pumpkinlights.gif

quote:

quote:

El Diablo

LMAO...I was intently going through the list thinking that there were 'prime suspects' of the pirates. Then I realized I kep seeing "Primes Suspect's" name...geez!

Brian

Like I said...it was a mistake. Do not infer anything into that.

El Diablo

quote:

Jolly you can have my spot in that list if you want....

Brian

Thanks, Brian. But that's okay. Too many people signed up before me. I'd only be cutting ahead of the line.

Jolly R. Blackburn