I know who the pirates are.

iryshe

quote:
It's comical to watch everyone who gets really upset about these things, since when it is done correctly there's little difference between a "pirated cache" and a "multi-cache" AND the prize is bigger (and there's still "booty" for the kids).

As BrianSnat said, if I'd wanted to set a multi-cache, I'd've done so.

The effect the pirates are having on ME is making me re-think how elaborate I want to make my caches. I didn't put all that work into my caches just so some scummy pirate could mess with it.

If it's possible to join in the private topic, I'd very much like to, please.

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

quote:
Originally posted by ju66l3r:

when it is done correctly there's little difference between a "pirated cache" and a "multi-cache"

There is a huge difference. As much as the difference between Robin Hood, and the Good Samaritan. And we are not talking about a make-believe "let's all agree to pretend we are pirates" game. That type of consensual game would not be true piracy.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

So what of the good pirates, the ones that are trying to add something new and creative to this activity? Is this just a blanket cleansing?

Fighting against the "pirates" will only strengthen their resolve. The bad one's obviously wouldn't care about GC nor of being kicked off it. There is nothing in place now to stop non member pirates from viewing cache pages so what's the point?

quote:
Originally posted by ju66l3r:

Congratulations, Jeremy, I think you've brought us all back to 1692 (and Salem is only a stone's throw away from my apartment!).

It's comical to watch everyone who gets really upset about these things, since when it is done correctly there's little difference between a "pirated cache" and a "multi-cache" AND the prize is bigger (and there's still "booty" for the kids). I think the original piratecaching.com pirate went far out of their way to make it something that could be enjoyable, temporary, and a fun surprise when you went out geocaching for the day. Anyone who wasn't following those guidelines was no better than the people who don't even know what geocaching is but take the whole cache when they stumble onto it. They were not pirates, they were plunderers and they have always been shunned by the sport, since they actually destroy the cache.

Disclaimer: I am not a pirate, but more of a sympathizer. I think that creativity is a virtue and that some people really just need to chill out about a box of toys in the woods.

FYI - I'm just catching up but but to be clear, this is NOT me although the avatars are obviously close.

My opinions couldn't be more of a polar opposite to what's posted above.

Hang 'em high!

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

So what of the good pirates, the ones that are trying to add something new and creative to this activity?

In my book there is no such thing as a "good pirate". By definition, a pirate interferes with the property of others without their permission. That to me is unacceptable, especially for geocaching, which is almost totally dependent on the "honor system".

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

Copy and include your name to the bottom of this list to be included. If someone can please add the names who already replied, that would help. Thanks.

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Pantalaimon

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Micqn

quote:

So what of the good pirates, the ones that are trying to add something new and creative to this activity? Is this just a blanket cleansing?

Good pirate is an oxymoron. Cleansing is a red herring. If you think what you're doing is right, then say so. Don't hide and whimper about being unfairly treated. I have no respect for that.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:

If there really was a "good pirate" he or she would get permission from the cache owner before messing with it. At that point, as Seneca has also pointed out, the person ceases to be a pirate. At that point, it is also silly to hide behind a false name.

Another test of whether something is right or not: Is it the type of creativity that a person would like to publically take credit for? I note that the pirates have all attempted to be annonymous.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

Fighting against the "pirates" will only strengthen their resolve. The bad one's obviously wouldn't care about GC nor of being kicked off it. There is nothing in place now to stop non member pirates from viewing cache pages so what's the point?

Turning it into a pay-to-play site would certainly get more people to become paying members, but it wouldn't end vandalism. It would also slow the growth of the hobby and create compelling reason to go to other sites to take part geocaching.

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

quote:

First - there are no good pirates. That is, unless they first asked permission - but then, no one would be complaining about those.

Second - the goal isn't so much to kick someone off of GC.com, but to allow others to know who this person is. If anonymity (I guess you might call it "double anonymity") were not essential to piracy, the "pirates" would simply log in their original "name". And if they were locked out so they could not post logs, their exploits would look just like any other ordinary plundering - which is clearly not their goal.

"...clear as mud?"

Copy and include your name to the bottom of this list to be included. If someone can please add the names who already replied, that would help. Thanks.

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Woodsters Outdoors

Brian

www.woodsters.com

pumpkinlights.gif

Posted above:

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Micqn

Strapped-4-Cache

My name added to the bottom.

- Mark (S-4-C)

I KNOW I'll find it if I just keep LOOKING!

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

...ya gotta be quick, or the ones who post in between get left out!

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

The problem is these copycats don't play by the same rules.

I agree, but the problem is, the copycats may not be eliminated by the same means. To be able to control and to limit a certain activity ... wouldn't it be better to legalize and co-opt it?

There are some ideas which are in the air, all the time, and hardly anybody needs an example to copycat from. Here in Utah in summer, a local paper published an article on caching, and pretty soon a lot of good easy caches disappeared in a two-or-three days long spree of plunder. That's just how things are. It's hard to blame the journalists for this, and it's certainly impossible to blame the pirates.

Can we perhaps blame ourselves for making our caches too accessible? That's what I concluded after loss of two of my caches which I was really proud of.

Count me in!

Posted above:

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Micqn

Strapped-4-Cache

RuffRidr

--RuffRidr

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Micqn

woodsters

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

Added woody back in.

the replacing the last name thing was pretty funny. icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

quote:

So what of the good pirates, the ones that are trying to add something new and creative to this activity?

I've seen topics with cool creative twists.

One idea was to leave Treasure cards in caches. Just one card with coords for an interesting prize item.

This is creative.

Messing with someone else's cache is not!

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Micqn

woodsters

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

cave troll and joan

sissy-n-cr

leatherman

wildgoosechase

seneca

bull moose

[This message was edited by umc on September 23, 2003 at 12:54 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MOCKBA:

Can we perhaps blame ourselves for making our caches too accessible? That's what I concluded after loss of two of my caches which I was really proud of.

Nope. Blame [xxxxxxxx] who get their kicks by vandalizing things. Some people live to destroy things, and their worth is negligible at best.

I can't think of an example whee a person is responsible for the evil that another person does against them.

--------------------

[edited for content]

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on September 23, 2003 at 01:09 PM.]

I was notified by KA about this, and I appreciate that he caught this.

[This message was edited by mckee on September 23, 2003 at 01:21 PM.]

quote:
I don't think you can respond, but maybe you can read this.

If the public can view a link to a private topic, then it makes little sense to call it private. I know that what I post will be changed if I know that everyone can read it.

Edit: I just verified that a person who is not part of a private topic cannot view a link to it.

pokeanim3.gif

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Micqn

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

woodsters

Strapped-4-Cache

umc

RuffRidr

cave troll and joan

Sissy-n-CR

leatherman

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Micqn

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:

One idea was to leave _Treasure cards_ in caches. Just one card with coords for an interesting prize item.

This is _creative_.

A very good point, Leatherman! If the pirates were truly creative and not malicious, they would have done this instead. In fact - I think it's a great idea, and I may do it myself.

"...clear as mud?"

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

I can't think of an example whee a person is responsible for the evil that another person does against them.

"I left the key in the ignition, but the car thief deserves all the blame" - yeah.

With my caches, I just added another level of multi, to avoid the need to leave the logbook in a plunder-prone location. From now, only a clue is there. The actual container is a short distance away. Check http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGTCE .

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

One idea was to leave _Treasure cards_ in caches. Just one card with coords for an interesting prize item.

This is _creative_.

Thank you. I have no qualms about claiming this idea as my own, as it did not steal anything from a cache. A note is placed in a cache referred to the pirate site where clues and coordinates led to a stealth cache near the cache the note was found in, a cache not listed on geocaching.com.

--------------------

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet

scoobie10

Team Og Rof A Klaw

SLCDave

clearpath

Team Geo-Remdation

Pantalaimon

BrianSnat

enfanta

Jeepers_Keepers

JoeCthulhu

Micqn

Woodsters Outdoors

Strapped-4-Cache

StarshipTrooper

umc

RuffRidr

Seneca

quote:
...the ones that are trying to add something new and creative to this activity?

Oh, you mean like Finders Keepers? Or a Fox Hunt? Or a Scavenger Hunt??

This game is open enough for a cacher to be creative without breaking the community's trust.

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

posted September 23, 2003 12:50 PM

cachew nut

sept1c_tank

Team GPSaxophone

Stunod

geospotter

beckerbuns

Doc-Dean

carleenp

BrianSnat

Gorak

Planet