I know who the pirates are.

iryshe

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
After that can we go and celebrate at the Bada Bing

Hey, I know where 3/4 of those places are. I've seen scenes on the show where I knew there was a cache nearby.

Your Boone town Falls cache is near where Jackie Jr. was shot in the show. I am originally from Lake Hiawatha and found a couple of your caches while visiting family in NJ. As stated in another thread don't archive your caches.

As for the pirates I say Out them.

Jason

SO THAT ONE MAY WALK IN PEACE.......

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

I think that the fact that Jeremy has come out and made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that "piracy", no matter how harmless, will not be tolerated by this site, will go some distance in resolving the problem. A lot of the discussion on the topic has shown that there may have been some support by normally decent cachers, for the more harmless varieties of piracy. Now those persons know that it is absolutely not tolerated here, and perhaps they will be less inclined to engage in it.

Yeah, I guess I fit in that catagory

When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Sorry, hit the post it now before I got everything in. Let me finish the thought (or lack of).

I had thought of Trogdor the Burninator, burninating local caches. But it does seem to get some peoples panties in a wad and others who are in touch with their more sensitive side get their feeling hurt. I’ll drop any thoughts of going to the dark side so as to not get caught up in the lynch mob.

So what’s the next variation? Teletubbies or Barney themes? My vote is for my Little Pony! But please be careful, Powerpuff Girls might be too violent for some! Whatever, I’m sure you guys will work it out.

Enough! I gotta go outside and find a cache!

When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Good job Jeremy! Although part of me really wants to know who the pirates are, I think its better to just leave things be, unless they keep up their pirating, or decide to be hipocrites on this thread.

I'm curious as to how you found them out. I've got a couple of ideas on how you might have done it, but I won't post them here.

--RuffRidr

Congratulations, Jeremy, I think you've brought us all back to 1692 (and Salem is only a stone's throw away from my apartment!).

It's comical to watch everyone who gets really upset about these things, since when it is done correctly there's little difference between a "pirated cache" and a "multi-cache" AND the prize is bigger (and there's still "booty" for the kids). I think the original piratecaching.com pirate went far out of their way to make it something that could be enjoyable, temporary, and a fun surprise when you went out geocaching for the day. Anyone who wasn't following those guidelines was no better than the people who don't even know what geocaching is but take the whole cache when they stumble onto it. They were not pirates, they were plunderers and they have always been shunned by the sport, since they actually destroy the cache.

Disclaimer: I am not a pirate, but more of a sympathizer. I think that creativity is a virtue and that some people really just need to chill out about a box of toys in the woods.

quote:
Originally posted by ju66l3r:

Congratulations, Jeremy, I think you've brought us all back to 1692 (and Salem is only a stone's throw away from my apartment!).

What an asinine comment. It's comical for someone to justify the actions of a geocacher whose misguided intentions blow up in their face, creating a number of "copycats" who don't play by their "good" pirate rules.

A salem witch trial was a red herring. We're not dunking witches here but outing people who apparently have no outlets for their creative energy. If they're so proud of their actions, why go through the drudgery of instigating topics as if they have no clue?

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
It's comical to watch everyone who gets really upset about these things, since when it is done correctly there's little difference between a "pirated cache" and a "multi-cache" AND the prize is bigger (and there's still "booty" for the kids). I think the original piratecaching.com pirate went far out of their way to make it something that could be enjoyable, temporary, and a fun surprise when you went out geocaching for the day. Anyone who wasn't following those guidelines was no better than the people who don't even know what geocaching is but take the whole cache when they stumble onto it. They were not pirates, they were plunderers and they have always been shunned by the sport, since they actually destroy the cache.

If I wanted to make my cache into a multi cache, I would do it. I don't need some self appointed pirate, or "cache improver", or whatever you want to call them, messing with my cache setup.

Even IF these overgrown children all had the best intentions, which some didn't, I'd be against it. But in many instances the cache contents weren't returned. In some, the cache was left empty and the log book was stolen.

The last log in my plundered cache said "what kind of person would do such a thing?" It doesn't sound like he was having all that much fun. A log from another nearby cache that had been plundered by this bozo said "...This was the first time we ever seen this. The kids were disappointed.". Yep, sounds like they had a real blast.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:

Disclaimer: I am not a pirate, but more of a sympathizer. I think that creativity is a virtue and that some people really just need to chill out about a box of toys in the woods.

Ummm...if pirating is creative, then why can't those who would pirate be creative enough to place their own multi-cache? If you are saying there aren't enough multi-caches, why don't you place some yourself?

Jeremy - thanks for the effort at enforcing standards of the game. We don't have any pirates here, as far as I know - yet (I suppose now my caches will be targeted). But I support the outing of pirates, if it comes to that. No other action will probably be needed. It is enough to know who the scoundrels are.

"...clear as mud?"

quote:

That's ridiculous.

"If you're not with us, you're against us!" - The President of the United States Of America

"They can play their game, but they can't use my ball!" - BrianSnat

And by the way, your avatar looks an awful lot like this one:

133007_1000.jpg

Planet

quote:

The fine line between petty vandalism and trying to create an acceptable pirate has vanished or never existed in many people's eyes, unfortunately. The blood is in the water, the lynch mobs are forming and name lists will be created, whether accurate or not.

This would have been fun given the right parameters. I suspect that the only acceptable "pirate's game" will be found in organized group events.

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

I now know who the pirates are...

I think you should define what you mean by the term "pirate". Is that only people who steal and plunder caches, or does that include the "good pirate" from British Columbia? You probably know who both are, but do you group them as one, i.e. people who steal and plunder caches?

Thanks,

RobertM

I just spent 10 hours last Saturday helping someone set up a rather elaborate cache.

If I or the guy who I helped actually caught one of the pirates in action, we would probably use very harsh words... repeatedly, without mercy.

I have an idea... If you have placed caches, and you think the pirating is harmless fun, why not start a list of caches that it is okay to mess with. You could list all of yours, and others who are okay with piracy could list theirs as well. Go ahead, start a thread.

But, I say out them to everyone, and let whatever happens as a result be the responsibility of the people involved.

Now, if there is a privacy policy, I suggest modifying it as necessary to allow for outing those who do not respect the hard work of cache owners.

Sure, a micro cache is easier... that's what makes a well thought out, placed, and maintained cache something special. We don't need some bunghole discouraging people from putting a lot of work into truly interesting (sometimes extravagant) caches.

Less than ordinary people should stay away from the work of exceptional ones.

Nice going Jeremy! If your ethics prevent you from outing them at this time, okay by me. (Even though I am dying of curiosity.) It's nice to know that you can squash their dirty activities.

Please add my name to the list of invitees to a private topic. I've spent months thinking about the Arizona vermin who decided to play pirate.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
Originally posted by Cave Troll & Joan:

...we did I think the thing to do would be to furnish the cache owner with the hard evidence so they could report a theft to the police.

If this didn,t work I would then be all for outing the perpetrators.

Maybe things are different in the UK, but the last thing I would want to do is burden my local law enforcement with reports of such a petty crime. They have more important things to do at my expense, IMO.

I say - just out them. They need not be jailed, tortured, or hung. Just *knowing* their character has been revealed will likely be punishment enough.

"...clear as mud?"

quote:
I say - just out them. They need not be jailed, tortured, or hung.

If Jeremy won't out them, I hope he at least e-mails them and gives them a very stern tongue lashing.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm