I know who the pirates are.

iryshe

I now know who the pirates are, and unfortunately the hypocracy abounds. In all my emails and correspondence, I use my real name so I can stand by my own words. Now I can read these individuals posts in the forums with the knowledge that I have absolutely no respect for their responses in these forums, or elsewhere for that matter.

Sure, they may continue their obnoxious attempt to take this sport to a place most people find abhorrent, but I will no longer respect their participation in geocaching.

Frankly, I'm disappointed. Shame on you. Perhaps you can expend your energy elsewhere, like shoplifting or petty larceny.

At this point I hope that they will stop. Otherwise I'll start outing the pirates. And if you're a pirate, please don't insult me by posting to this topic.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

As far as I know, I am not a pirate!

Why not out them now?? If it is someone who frequents the forums then I would like to know and I am sure this will be followed by others who are also curious...

You are right that is has to do with credibility, which is why I use my own name and likeness on my posts.

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

Wow! I have been avoiding posting in the pirate threads, but I couldn't resist here. Thanks Jeremy.

As for outing them. I think it is best to not do that unless it becomes necessary. This issue has already caused enough ruckous. Also, although most disagreed with the pirates, some were OK with it if the pirate sought permission of the cache owner etc. Of course, at that point, I don't see why the pirate should feel the need to hide behind a false name either.

pokeanim3.gif

If you are POSITIVE, I hope you will post their identities (logon i.d. and real name) for all to see. You have found this information to be personally beneficial...

quote:
Now I can read these individuals posts in the forums with the knowledge that I have absolutely no respect for their responses in these forums, or elsewhere for that matter.
I would like to have that same benefit.

As I stated in a related thread, I believe the best solution to the problem is to expose them. I hope you will do it.

worldtraveler

Well done Jeremy, and I can completely understand your upset.

But I'd be against outing them just yet - perhaps it should just serve as a wake-up call, and they could realise the castigation they'd get from other forum members.

------

"There's Sparticus. That's him, over there."

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Who are they? Let me at 'em. You don't have to out them all...just the NJ guy.

You're kidding, right?

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I think BrianSnat means no harm; he just wants to treat the guy to a new pair of shoes (cement variety). It's just a typical NJ welcome gift. icon_wink.gif

worldtraveler

quote:
That's one more good thing about BMs and virtuals, if you haven't noticed yet. They are less susceptible to plunder.

Yeah, who would want to steal a marker that says "This tree was planted by the Hackensack Ladies Auxillary on Oct. 14th 1977"?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

Jeremy, did you find out who Pirateofthenorthwest, a new pirate that turned up in Bremerton yesterday, is?

Pirateofthenorthwest is tanda1701, but they're more of a copycat than the actual instigators. The problem is these copycats don't play by the same rules.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

Jeremy, did you find out who Pirateofthenorthwest, a new pirate that turned up in Bremerton yesterday, is?

Pirateofthenorthwest is http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.aspx?A=88555, but they're more of a copycat than the actual instigators. The problem is these copycats don't play by the same rules.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Ha. Well, I guess I'm not as mad about that, seeing as how he plundered their OWN cache!

As long as they don't plunder mine...

That's very disappointing. I was hoping that real geocachers weren't involved...esp. long time participants. I really hoped it was some 20 year old newbie with a handful of finds, looking for some cheap thrills at the expense of others.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Who are they? Let me at 'em. You don't have to out them all...just the NJ guy.

You're kidding, right?

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

I think BrianSnat means no harm; he just wants to treat the guy to a new pair of shoes (cement variety). It's just a typical NJ welcome gift. icon_wink.gif

worldtraveler

After that can we go and celebrate at the Bada Bing

quote:
After that can we go and celebrate at the Bada Bing

Hey, I know where 3/4 of those places are. I've seen scenes on the show where I knew there was a cache nearby.

I think that the fact that Jeremy has come out and made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that "piracy", no matter how harmless, will not be tolerated by this site, will go some distance in resolving the problem. A lot of the discussion on the topic has shown that there may have been some support by normally decent cachers, for the more harmless varieties of piracy. Now those persons know that it is absolutely not tolerated here, and perhaps they will be less inclined to engage in it.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

quote:
A lot of the discussion on the topic has shown that there may have been some support by normally decent cachers, for the more harmless varieties of piracy. Now those persons know that it is absolutely not tolerated here, and perhaps they will be less inclined to engage in it.

What got me were all the apologists for the "pirates", who thought it was an interesting twist to the game. Well play the game with your own caches, thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

I'd like to take a guess at who it is, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate. Can we start a thread where we take guesses at who the pirates are? I don't want to do it unless it's ok.

Start a private topic.

Oh yeah, and please invite me! icon_wink.gif

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
I'd like to take a guess at who it is, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate. Can we start a thread where we take guesses at who the pirates are? I don't want to do it unless it's ok.

I know who one is and have a few good guesses as to who some others are.