"No Tresspassing" question

I want to place a geocache in an area which has a network of hiking trails, but which includes private land. The trails skirt a couple of houses, one of which has placed some small no-tresspassing signs just off the trail, between itself and the trail. Signs are posted explicitly giving permission for public hiking at other points on the trail. How do I handle this? The guidelines say that any reference to "no tresspassing" will cause the geocache to be archived.

By stating the truth.

"The access point is a trail and gives permission to hike" "Any no trespassing signs you might see while staying on the trail pertain to homeowners and their property adjoining the trail. Stay on the trail and you are not trespassing".

Any admin can see your intent and that the trail is not a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

By stating the truth.

"The access point is a trail and gives permission to hike" "Any no trespassing signs you might see while staying on the trail pertain to homeowners and their property adjoining the trail. Stay on the trail and you are not trespassing".

Any admin can see your intent and that the trail is not a problem.

Sounds correct to me... icon_smile.gif

As long as you give us enough information in the very beginning, this situation shouldn't be a problem. The problem occurs when the cache page doesn't mention the need to stay off the adjacent private property and people's logs all include a reference to the "No Trespassing" signs. At the very least, those logs will lead to the cache being disabled and a lengthy email exchange to figure out what's going on.

We've seen this set of circumstances before and it underlines the need to provide the admins with as much information about the cache as is possible, and then more if it might be viewed as questionable.

I wonder if the 'no trespassing' sign is really where it should be.

It's common practice for locals to place these signs at trails or firecuts that are not on their land but just lead to their land.

It's an easy way for them to give themselves a little more of a buffer zone but in truth, they're just stealing some public land.

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

Make sure this is not private property. Just because the land is open for hiking doesn't mean it's public land. Land owners often grant easements for hiking trails. Often these easments stipulate that hiking is the only activity allowed and that users must stay on the trail. By placing a cache in a place like this, you could jeopardize public access to the area.

If it is public land, I don't see a need to even mention the No Trespassing signs since you won't be placing the cache on that property.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BooBear:

How can you find out if an area is public or private land? I'm dealing with an area right now that I believe is a pond on publicly (city?) owned land that is between two parcels of private land, but I'm not sure. Where can I go to find out for sure?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/65614_200.gif

The county clerk's office will have the info. Another method is to check the website for the city...sometimes the link for the parks & recreation will have maps to the city parks.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson