Any Phoenix geocachers want to adopt a newbie who can't find her way out of a paper bag?

smartlass

I FINALLY found my first cache! WOO HOO!!!

I found this website about 3 months ago. After poking around the site for a while, I decided that geocaching sounded like a lot of fun. The next day, I ran out and bought a Garmin eTrex. My first weekend out, I looked for two different caches, and found nothing. I wasn't even sure if I was in the right area. This was harder than I imagined. I thought about logging a no find, hoping to find out that somebody had moved the cache. Before I could, I saw posts from several other teams logging their find for those caches. DRAT!!!! The cache was there - it was I that wasn't!

A week later, I tried a different cache. Based on the clues, I was fairly confident that I was close, but still couldn't find the cache..... ARRGGGG.... the frustration!!!

A few weeks later, I decided to give it another go. Again, I think I was in the right area, but the actual cache managed to elude me.

That was it. This was just too difficult!! (oh, did I forget to mention that I get lost while walking my dogs around my neighborhood?? or that I spend 20 minutes every morning hunting down my car keys?)

When I got home, I tossed my GPSr into the black hole at the back of my closet, never to be seen again.

Today, while futilely searching for something unrelated, my GPSr jumped out and hit me in the head. (Literally, it fell off a shelf and landed on my head). I took that as a sign, and decided to give geocaching another shot.

After 10 minutes of searching for a cache rated 1/1, I finally found something. The Skoal can seemed a bit smaller than the measurements on the description, and it wasn't really where the other logs/clues said it was, but at least it was something. I made sure nobody was looking, and then, with great enthusiasm, popped it open. Only to be covered with damp tobacco! GROSS!!! Somehow, I don't think this is the cache!

After 15 more minutes of searching, I FINALLY found the real cache! I was so excited!!! Today was my lucky day!!!! I just might have to make a quick trip to Vegas today!!

It looks like you are on your way.

If you are still looking for someone to join on a few trips, you can post in the regional forum. You also might have some success emailing some of your local cachers. If you read their logs, you may get a feel for who you would be comfortable going into the woods with.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

...well, that is what they always told us isn't it? I'm relatively new too and also have an etrex. The first thing I did was marked my home coords. Every time I go someplace, I fire the thing up and navigate my way home with it. I learned quite a bit (like when you stop the car to check a direction carefully, the arrow does not move anymore when the unit is turned because it is no longer in motion) and I almost never get lost on the way home from the store anymore! icon_biggrin.gif Though my son no longer really cares EXACTLY how far away home is every time we go someplace.

But go find some caching buddies anyway. And be careful.

"If you don't know where you're going, how will you know when you get there?"

I can tell you that we are definitely better at finding our keys in the house now that we've found a bunch of caches! icon_wink.gif I even found my son's apartment key that he had lost in a bush outside his front door (he had searched for hours, I found it in 30 seconds). You definitely get better at this the more you find. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"