Looking for ... or interest in Handicapped Accessible Caches

dgswope

Currently we are physically fit enough to Hike, and and we definately enjoy it. My father would love something like this, however, he is mobily challenged. He can walk, but a wheelchair is more comfortable for him.

While caching at local parks, we have spoken with directors who have expressed not only an interest in the concept, but with the Idea of being host to a Handicapped Accessible Cache site.

One even offered to build a special box right at the overlook where the wheel chairs can get.

Anyone else seen or heard of this, or this idea?

ADA caches yes. Your specific implementation, no. By and large people have a lot of different levels of mobility. That your person can get out and walk opens up a lot more caches than someone who can't.

By communicating with cache owners about caches a lot of caches that might seem non accessable based on ratings might prove to be accessable after all.

Wherever you go there you are.

In theory any cache with a 1 star terrain rating should be handicap accessable. Here is the definition of a 1 star rating: Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

Unfortunately it seems that most cache owners ignore this and rate caches a 1 that shouldn't be, which confuses the issue.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm old enough to see that comming for me.

So... my only (to date) cache is accessible on all those days when the soil of a lawn is firm enough for all kinds of challanged people and their pets.

This cache is in Texas, DFW area at Easy Virtual Cache

I'm not saying all my caches will be accessible by challenged vistors, but I made it a point to set-up my first one that way, and expect to make more that way. ... However, be sure some of mine will be a real challenge to get to. .... it is in my blood!!

One thing I will most likely always do ... I like educational caches... where we learn, do, or see something interesting.

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

[This message was edited by poksal on December 31, 2002 at 02:22 PM.]

I put ten caches inside the Nashville Zoo that can be done from a wheelchair 100% , it has worked out well for the geo cachers and the Zoo go to GC6163 and check it out, and click on nearby caches...........JOE icon_wink.gif

this is the third set of ten caches to be put in the Zoo icon_cool.gif

I have placed 2 caches that I know are wheelchair accessible,(this one and this cache and I noted it on the cache pages. I purposely went searching local parks for a place that let everyone get to the cache site. My hides are not all this way, as one of them I placed has been a challenge to most of its visitors. One of them even brought a ladder! It's funny in a way, as I am actually afraid of heights, but force myself to climb in spite of my brain.

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"